5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Security Thoughts on trucks other than TRX

Air’d outSRT

Reaction score
States right on my post, PIN needed for driving. I'm not gonna argue with you like you always want to. Others have mentioned it as well for security. Enjoy!
He is correct and after telling the tazer owner over and over that it is removable and can be bypassed in literally no time at all he finally started admitting it is in no way a security or anti theft device. Its an option changer when it actually decides to work.

Attachments

• 11ccaf1c-58e3-4dad-90a3-4003dc0084d6.jpeg
    11ccaf1c-58e3-4dad-90a3-4003dc0084d6.jpeg
    122.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3153.jpeg
    IMG_3153.jpeg
    82 KB · Views: 8

Air’d outSRT

Reaction score
Agree with most sentiments on this thread. Piece of mind for some thing is worth quite a bit and when you pay 50-80k for a vehicle 1-2k is not really an issue. I guess I should really start a thread on the IGLA or others. (Yes, I’ve seen a ton and one thread that was early 2023 where someone described their “cons”. I’m pretty sure many things with that system have changed since that thread and most of those things are not necessarily described on their website.

Right now my biggest con is I’d have to drive 3-3 1/2 hrs to get installed and if there was ever an unforeseen issue down the road that’s a LONG way. But my gut is telling me to still go for it.
I am the one on ram-trx, vender there for IGLAUSA.COM
There is another option of having my mobile dealer fly out to you. If there is an issue with it that can’t be remedied by myself from here (usually user error trying to relearn a starting procedure that is different than the norm) then he will come back out and fix it. If you have any questions about any system out please just ask, a lot of misinformation on here about stuff people just regurgitate and don’t actually know or understand.
Thanks
Josh

Air’d outSRT

Reaction score
As long as your key has the chip in it, I really don't believe in getting any other security system. They're not going to be able to start it without the key, so they would have to tow it away. If they're willing to do that, they're going to be able to steal mine. That's why I pay insurance. I have never had a vehicle stolen, so not going to put an alarm or anything else on.

Bought mine last Sunday. The first dealer I went to had some sort of GPS tracking device installed (starguard?). Said you don't have to pay a subscription fee and can track it on your phone. Would've bought that one, but they had over $5K worth of useless add ons installed and wouldn't remove them. So I bought mine somewhere else.

I live in CA and have a Jeep. Many Jeeps get stolen and end up in Mexico (about 2 hours away). People with Lojack and such have tracked their Jeep moving and the police still won't do anything, just watch it cross the border never to be seen again.

The dealer I bought from: The only add on they had was an alarm. Though I had the option to decline it and they disabled it. Alarms (even dealer installed) can cause problems. My wife's last two cars had dealer installed alarms and both were problems (electrical) that I won't get into.
What?!? Every vehicle in the last 25 years minus throw away vehicles like kia’s are “chip” keyed, well not a chip anymore more of a paired immo signal which is far harder to start without said key. But.. still not needed, you relay the signal, clone the signal or just hook up and make another one. First 2 takes 10 seconds, other one 45-90 seconds. But hey, let insurance cover it, rates rise, they drop you or refuse to insure that line of vehicles like they are starting to do unless you get a passive system like IGLA.

tinyfootprints

Reaction score
Ever hear about the "kia tiktok challenge?

Having an alarm doesn't change anything.
They disconnect your horn by just shoving a piece of metal through the front of your grill and poof no more horn. Sure you might get flashing lights for 30-60 seconds after they break in and start to program the new key.
I bought a second horn at the dealer for $60 and installed it in the rear of the engine bay. Left the original horn connected with a dummy wire so they’ll think they’ve cut the cable and disabled the horn. The whole process took about an hour.

Last edited:

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
And now you've told the world how to disable your horns. It's good practice to NOT explain the efforts you made to thwart car thieves. They don't need your help. They know enough already.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
And now you've told the world how to disable your horns. It's good practice to NOT explain the efforts you made to thwart car thieves. They don't need your help. They know enough already.
That is true, but I think the whole point is that they can't just reach in and pull this unlike the oem horn and opening the hood would set off the alarm.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
That is true, but I think the whole point is that they can't just reach in and pull this unlike the oem horn and opening the hood would set off the alarm.
That is absolutely the point. I'm not saying it's not. I'm just saying it's not a good idea for people to advertise their method for how they've done that, especially with a pic LOL. I'm pretty sure a thief could access the horn wires from the wheel well based on that pic. It's not like the liner is a rigid piece of steel.

rick619

Reaction score
Am I the only that's over here like "steal my truck, I'll use the insurance money to finally get a TRX" 😅😅

You're not the only one. I've never had a vehicle stolen (or even broken into). I assume the majority do not want an alarm (or other aftermarket anti-theft devices), probably 95% or more. If someone has problems with theft or vandalism, I understand wanting one.

GMetal

Reaction score
Am I the only that's over here like "steal my truck, I'll use the insurance money to finally get a TRX" 😅😅
What kind of insurance do you have? Mine would likely find the lowest value of my truck as a reference for a payout!

cerbo

Reaction score
be thankful we don't own a Range Rover . My dentist had two attempts right from his driveway in a wealthy area. Then at his get away home which he has another one, there were so many of them being taken at gun point in daylight in good neighborhoods that he sold them all and replaced them with your run of the mill SUVs. I really never considered worrying about a pickup, but everyone should be aware if they want it, they ll get it , Even at gun point which is way more common now. On low production collector type vehicles they ll just stalk it until the time is right. Interesting read anyway.
I m way more concerned about water leaks, LOL.

silverWS6

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You're not the only one. I've never had a vehicle stolen (or even broken into). I assume the majority do not want an alarm (or other aftermarket anti-theft devices), probably 95% or more. If someone has problems with theft or vandalism, I understand wanting one.

Funny story, I had a 2002 Ram 1500 Lone star stolen in 2006(?) And then got a 2004 Ram 1500 4x4 and had that one stolen a year later.

Insurance paid out quick the first time and did more investigating the 2nd time. Didn't own another Ram until 2019.

Yeah, partly joking. Wouldn't want to deal with the pain that comes with a stolen vehicle. I'm sure USAA would find the lowest and pay me that but I'm pretty sure I'd still come out on top with what I currently owe.

I used to throw a club on the brake pedal and one on the steering wheel in hopes to deter thieves some, now I just pull a fuse when I'm staying at a hotel or something lol

rick619

Reaction score
Funny story, I had a 2002 Ram 1500 Lone star stolen in 2006(?) And then got a 2004 Ram 1500 4x4 and had that one stolen a year later.

Insurance paid out quick the first time and did more investigating the 2nd time. Didn't own another Ram until 2019.

Yeah, partly joking. Wouldn't want to deal with the pain that comes with a stolen vehicle. I'm sure USAA would find the lowest and pay me that but I'm pretty sure I'd still come out on top with what I currently owe.

I used to throw a club on the brake pedal and one on the steering wheel in hopes to deter thieves some, now I just pull a fuse when I'm staying at a hotel or something lol

If I actually had a vehicle stolen, I would get an alarm with starter kill in the replacement. I'm 51 and it hasn't happened yet. I figure very low probability.

Jeeps get stolen in Socal pretty often. My neighbor has a soft top Jeep in his driveway. All they would need to do would be unzip the windows. Assuming they have the tech to start it without the chipped key.

Air’d outSRT

Reaction score
be thankful we don't own a Range Rover . My dentist had two attempts right from his driveway in a wealthy area. Then at his get away home which he has another one, there were so many of them being taken at gun point in daylight in good neighborhoods that he sold them all and replaced them with your run of the mill SUVs. I really never considered worrying about a pickup, but everyone should be aware if they want it, they ll get it , Even at gun point which is way more common now. On low production collector type vehicles they ll just stalk it until the time is right. Interesting read anyway.
I m way more concerned about water leaks, LOL.
Very easy to steal

Attachments

• 0aa98c5f-fcf2-472d-a657-1e4aa55a38b9.jpeg
    0aa98c5f-fcf2-472d-a657-1e4aa55a38b9.jpeg
    53 KB · Views: 22
  • 6c7ded14-227c-4b3c-a3ca-4764e2fe983c.jpeg
    6c7ded14-227c-4b3c-a3ca-4764e2fe983c.jpeg
    125.4 KB · Views: 22
  • 317ea264-0126-4ac7-813d-2000dcf1034f.jpeg
    317ea264-0126-4ac7-813d-2000dcf1034f.jpeg
    92.9 KB · Views: 22

Rebond

Reaction score
I'm sorry, but that's a very uneducated statement. Ram trucks are VERY EASILY stolen without having the key fob in hand.

If your fob is nearby, they can clone the signal and drive away.
Or they can use any number of key fob programmers to program a NEW key and drive away.
Just keep your key fob in a faraday pouch and definitely move the horns. You can bend the thin metal bracket and cut the wire wrap to remount them.

Can buy 2 pouches for about $10 and they work very well.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just keep your key fob in a faraday pouch and definitely move the horns. You can bend the thin metal bracket and cut the wire wrap to remount them.

Can buy 2 pouches for about $10 and they work very well.
That only stops the fob cloning method. It doesn’t prevent someone from programming a new key, which appears to be the more common method.

Users who are viewing this thread