5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tried using a zf 8hp transmission pan...oops

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Folks,
I bought a zf 8hp pan for a different vehicle. I thought it'd be the same as the one in the truck. I was wrong.

LOL...yes, I measured before I did anything. The Ram ecodiesel has a deeper pan (by ~1/2") than the one I bought. Soo...

I found PPE has aluminum pans for our trucks with replaceable filters. They have standard capacity and a slightly deeper pan that takes two more quarts*. Here: 2014-2022 w/ZF-8 Speed Transmission Heavy-Duty Cast Aluminum Deep Transmission Pan

What are your thoughts on using the PPE aluminum transmission pan (and only having to spend $30 on a filter) on these trucks?

I'd appreciate comments from folks that have used PPE products.

Edited to change the larger pan capacity to two extra quarts. (I had written that it was one quart.)

Last edited:

W Six

Reaction score
I believe they have a big following in the diesel truck circles. They have a good rep from what I recall.

Reactions: c3k

Nsleone

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Folks,
I bought a zf 8hp pan for a different vehicle. I thought it'd be the same as the one in the truck. I was wrong.

LOL...yes, I measured before I did anything. The Ram ecodiesel has a deeper pan (by ~1/2") than the one I bought. Soo...

I found PPE has aluminum pans for our trucks with replaceable filters. They have standard capacity and a slightly deeper pan that takes one more quart. Here: 2014-2022 w/ZF-8 Speed Transmission Heavy-Duty Cast Aluminum Deep Transmission Pan

What are your thoughts on using the PPE aluminum transmission pan (and only having to spend $30 on a filter) on these trucks?

I'd appreciate comments from folks that have used PPE products.
I bought the PPE pan for my truck, going to install it soon but just from the unboxing it seems like a very nice pan, and the idea of cheap filter changes is great for me since I plan on keeping the truck for a few hundred thousand miles.

Oh and it holds 2 more quarts than the oem pan which if you tow a lot seems like a good perk.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I installed the PPE pan 2 weeks ago, very nice pan and the transmission runs cooler

Where did you source a gasket? If you pulled it off your old pan, any difficulties?

Thanks!

tom318

Reaction score
This looks really nice. I don't tow often and as I plan to do the service every 100k miles, I'm not sure i'd spend the money.
How often are you guys doing the trans service? I was planning to it at 100k. I was estimating being $700-$1100 for the trans service. Is that what you guys are seeing?

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Okay, you guys have pushed me over the precipice! I'll order one tomorrow.

Thanks for sharing you experiences. It made the difference.

2021EcoDiesel

Reaction score
This looks really nice. I don't tow often and as I plan to do the service every 100k miles, I'm not sure i'd spend the money.
How often are you guys doing the trans service? I was planning to it at 100k. I was estimating being $700-$1100 for the trans service. Is that what you guys are seeing?
I don't tow that often but I wound up doing mine at 60k and was kinda shocked at how dirty the fluid was. I assume a lot of what I saw was just break in material though. I'm not a transmission expert so take that with a grain of salt. My dealer wanted 900 if memory serves me correct. Doing it myself cost me about 400 and a few cups of quick dry. I used a ZF composite pan and mopar brand ZF fluid.

My1stHemi

Reaction score
I just replaced the pan and fluid in my wife’s Grand Cherokee with a kit from Blauparts which included Ravenol(German) ATF. Great kit all in all.
Ram 1500 transmission fluid kit

My Ram is due for a fluid change now and this PPE pan and filter have peaked my interest. My concern was that the aluminum pan would get heat-soaked from the stupid exhaust pipe that crosses under the pan. Sounds like people are seeing lower temps. Very tempting.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I'm certainly no mechanic however other threads about the ZF 8 speed say that even ZF suggests changing before 80 K miles, (and especially true if you tow, IMHO).

Fortunately for me that will most likely be in about 7 years.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Let us know how it goes, curious about the filter and magnet locations on the PPE. I think they have a diff cover as well

I'm at 33,000 miles. I'll swap the pan at 35k, when I do my oil change. PPE has 2 pans, a deep pan and a deeper pan. ;) I chose the smaller of the two. I don't do much towing and I thought the extra fluid/cooling capacity of that pan would be fine and I didn't want to lose any ground clearance.

Of note, the two pans use different filters. The neck is longer for the deeper pan...makes sense. ;)

PPE pans have increased capacity over OEM: 2 quarts more for the "shallow" pan or 4 quarts more with the "deep" pan.

^^^
From memory, when I looked into it 8 weeks ago.

Magnets: the PPE pan has a single magnet in the drain plug. I added another, under the filter near the inlet, a 1" rectangular rare earth magnet, 20lbf, held on with JB Weld high-temp epoxy. I roughened up a section of the pan, installed the magnet/epoxy, and it's been curing for about a month. It is resistant to up to 550F and chemically inert up to that. If it ever gets to that temp, I think a loose magnet will be the least of my worries. (Being right near the inlet to the filter, I think the filter will suck up any magnet debris.)

Last edited:

awesomedudekj

Reaction score
I've drove a little over 6,000 miles since installing the PPE transmission pan(I changed all differential fluids at the same time). If you are changing the transmission fluid, it makes sense to make the switch. I don't know that it makes a huge difference, but it does seem to take a longer time to get the transmission up to temperature.

My tip, if you are installing the pan yourself, would be to be careful when tightening the bolts, it takes almost nothing to break them.

My cost for the pan, amsoil transmission, tc, and front and rear differential fluids came to around $650.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread