5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dealer: Front CV Axle/Diff splines severely rusted

Rambroh

Reaction score
I just got a report from the dealer that says they “found front CV axle two differential spines severely rusted backlash worn out.”
Here are pictures. This looks like normal but I really don’t know. I do live near coast with salt air. What do you guys think? Is this an issue?

Attachments

• IMG_7733.jpeg
    IMG_7733.jpeg
    183 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_7731.jpeg
    IMG_7731.jpeg
    173.5 KB · Views: 103

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ve seen lots of videos regarding this and the only fix is to replace the cv axles and stub (intermediate)shafts. I suppose the rust could eventually get bad enough that the splines rust out completely and you lose 4wd as the rusted out side would just spin.

I had a cv axle replaced on my 2020 due to clunking noises and a large amount of rust. Inside the stub (intermediate) shaft to cv axle is a small spring clip and that is all that holds the cv axle onto the stub shafts on each side. If rust were to build up it might make removal of a cv axle harder or nearly impossible overtime.

I currently have a clunking noise in my front end that is usually sway bar bushings, but after replacing them for a 4th time the clunk did not go away. I am suspecting the drivers side cv to stub shaft connection as it shows signs of rust like yours aswell as a ton more play than the passenger side.

There is no grease applied to these splines from the factory, nor is there a seal to keep water/salt brine out of the connection. Poorly designed in my opinion.

Last edited:

Rambroh

Reaction score
Is there any issue if I clean them up and spray undercoating in them?

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Couldn't hurt, at the least soak it a few times on the outside with some kind of oil based spray like Seafoam

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Finally got some decent weather above freezing so I took a video of the play in both from cv axles. I also noticed the front diff itself moves a small amount, maybe it’s mounted in rubber bushings? Hard to tell with all the ice and snow under my truck.

Can’t post videos here, weird. Will upload elsewhere.

Any techs on here that can say whether this is normal or not? It’s a 3-4 hour drive to the nearest dealer.

Last edited:

Wnghks701

Reaction score
Finally got some decent weather above freezing so I took a video of the play in both from cv axles. I also noticed the front diff itself moves a small amount, maybe it’s mounted in rubber bushings? Hard to tell with all the ice and snow under my truck.

Can’t post videos here, weird. Will upload elsewhere.

Any techs on here that can say whether this is normal or not? It’s a 3-4 hour drive to the nearest dealer.
Not normal. I’ve heard that it’s pretty common in 5th gens front axle to be weak and the passenger side axle gets rusted on to the diff.

Mine does the same and makes clunky noise when I go over bumps. Especially from driver side. I have an appointment at the end of the month for mine to be looked by dealer

HookedonRam

Reaction score
Not normal. I’ve heard that it’s pretty common in 5th gens front axle to be weak and the passenger side axle gets rusted on to the diff.

Mine does the same and makes clunky noise when I go over bumps. Especially from driver side. I have an appointment at the end of the month for mine to be looked by dealer
I'm actually dealing with this right now. I have a case open with Ram. Dealership and Ram Cares both seem reluctant to do anything about it. I have 57k miles with powertrain warranty and Mopar Max Care.

Wnghks701

Reaction score
I'm actually dealing with this right now. I have a case open with Ram. Dealership and Ram Cares both seem reluctant to do anything about it. I have 57k miles with powertrain warranty and Mopar Max Care.
Let us know how it goes. I have 2019 with max care as well. Hoping they’ll cover

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You concerned about the external rust on the cv shafts?

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I’ve got the same issue 2019 limited 95k miles

Wnghks701

Reaction score
Keep us posted, please, and good luck!
Thanks, appointment is on Monday.

The parts doesn’t look expensive. If dealership tells me to go pound sand, I’ll probably knock it out over a weekend or take it to an independent shop.

Attachments

• IMG_4552.png
    IMG_4552.png
    244.4 KB · Views: 23

HookedonRam

Reaction score
Thanks, appointment is on Monday.

The parts doesn’t look expensive. If dealership tells me to go pound sand, I’ll probably knock it out over a weekend or take it to an independent shop.
That's the issue, I have read horror stories trying to take the cv axles off and there's a possibility the short shaft inside the front differential might need to be replaced as well. I guess this is the reason Ram identifies this as unserviceable from what I understand. And if I had to replace the cv axles I'd probably go with trakmotive's extended axles for better compatibility with a lift kit.

Wnghks701

Reaction score
That's the issue, I have read horror stories trying to take the cv axles off and there's a possibility the short shaft inside the front differential might need to be replaced as well. I guess this is the reason Ram identifies this as unserviceable from what I understand. And if I had to replace the cv axles I'd probably go with trakmotive's extended axles for better compatibility with a lift kit.
Alright. Update!

Dealership is replacing both axle shafts under extended warranty. They said intermediate shafts are good. Hopefully they are not rusted to a point where they can’t get it out. I assume they are not if they were able to inspect intermediate shaft.

Users who are viewing this thread