5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Official EPA numbers for the hurricanes posted

Pikeman_66

Reaction score
numbers posted yesterday.

U

User_3336

2 mpg better than the HEMI? I guess that would depend on your driving style.....

Pikeman_66

Reaction score
Ugh, I know everyone seems to want more power but I'd rather have the SO @ 420 HP with better mpg on the higher trims than the HO...
I agree with you on this. I have a limited-on order, but I would much prefer to have the SO over the HO to be very honest. they should have had 2 choices for the higher end trucks. standard the SO and optioned the HO for them. give the buyers a choice and stop forcing things on us. all the companies are doing it and it's really getting aggravating.
I imagine the fuel companies pushed some cash at someone to make premium fuel the only choice for certain engines and trims.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The "combined" number is what 95% of people will actually expect to see. Looks like 0 difference with the S.O. engine and -2 with the H.O. engine. Plus, higher octanes required across the board. Woof....

Pikeman_66

Reaction score
I wonder what the figures will be if you use 87 octane and the knock sensor retards the timing?

And yes, I know the knock sensor itself doesn't actually do anything but send a signal to the ECU. Get over yourself.
I am hearing so many things about the octanes in these engines it's hard to separate it all out. I have heard that you can run 87 in both engines just fine, but it will reduce HP. this was from a Ram engineer. but you can't find that in printed form anywhere.
I have also heard you can't do that, or it will cause engine damage down the road. I wish Ram would print what the actual facts are on these things! If all running 87 in the HO does is reduce a few HP and not cause any damage to it, I will run it or 89. the premium here 90 plus is at the lowest a dollar a gallon more than 87. I will take a few less horses for that difference if it won't cause damage to the engine. it's not a huge deal for me either way but for others it could be a big deal.

Ram gives us the actual facts on octane use in writing please!

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Owners manual states 87 for SO and 91 for HO. Attached a star case for the 3.0.

Attachments

• OctaneSO.PNG
    OctaneSO.PNG
    99 KB · Views: 24
  • OctaneHO.PNG
    OctaneHO.PNG
    90 KB · Views: 24
  • fuel.PNG
    fuel.PNG
    110.5 KB · Views: 24

Pikeman_66

Reaction score
Owners manual states 87 for SO and 91 for HO.
yep, I have that manual downloaded and that is what it says. But there is so much chatter online about using other octanes even from Ram people not hurting a thing. I just want to know what's the truth of the matter on octane use.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
yep, I have that manual downloaded and that is what it says. But there is so much chatter online about using other octanes even from Ram people not hurting a thing. I just want to know what's the truth of the matter on octane use.
I added to the post above, sounds like 91 is a must/highly recommended.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ugh, I know everyone seems to want more power but I'd rather have the SO @ 420 HP with better mpg on the higher trims than the HO...

Yea, not even half way through the calendar year and Ram dealers are already offering $17,000+ discounts on new Limited Rams because they can't get rid of them.

I think a motor that requires expensive premium fuel will only hurt demand for the Limited and Tungsten models. Most people who would buy a TRX are looking for a high performance truck and will be more willing to pay for that level of performance because the TRX was designed to focus on performance. However, most looking to by a Limited are looking for a luxury truck; not a performance truck.

bigboost

Reaction score
Yea, not even half way through the calendar year and Ram dealers are already offering $17,000+ discounts on new Limited Rams because they can't get rid of them.

I think a motor that requires expensive premium fuel will only hurt demand for the Limited and Tungsten models. Most people who would buy a TRX are looking for a high performance truck and will be more willing to pay for that level of performance because the TRX was designed to focus on performance. However, most looking to by a Limited are looking for a luxury truck; not a performance truck.
Much like Fords EB , just another solution to a problem that doesn't exist. Worse fuel economy than comparable V8, loads of complexity for no real benefit over traditional OHV engine. Just another way to drive up the cost of ownership for profit.

smashweights

Reaction score

Or MSRP is just massively inflated. I can't believe when I was buying my 2019 in 2019 a limited was in the high $50k range and now they're almost $90k is wild

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Or MSRP is just massively inflated. I can't believe when I was buying my 2019 in 2019 a limited was in the high $50k range and now they're almost $90k is wild

Massively inflated is my guess. Don't worry, when they sit on the lot at the current APR, even with normal traditional 15%-25% off MSRP, they will likely still sit and prices will likely keep going down.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score

MSRP for GM and Ford for similarly optioned trucks is about the same but GM and Ford are not offering near the same discounts.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
MSRP for GM and Ford for similarly optioned trucks is about the same but GM and Ford are not offering near the same discounts.

Normal, RAM has always been the "deal" truck. The Covid market screwed everything up. Though I would say Ford & GM prices are inflated as well. We'll see how it shakes out in the next few years, they don't want to lower the MSRP, but they will deal on discounts as it gets harder to sell.

Or they may just try to sell less volume but at a higher margin. Make more or similar profit out of less vehicles.

Users who are viewing this thread