5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Don't be like me.

X-Wrestler

Reaction score
So a couple weeks ago I went out to start my truck, pushed the button and got nothing but a click.

Lights were bright and accessories all lit up as normal, but all I got was a click and the computer reset like it's ready to start.

I hooked up the jump box and nothing.

I go in the house and start scouring the internet for known issues. This didn't seem to be an isolated issue and everyone seemed to have a different fix.

I was sure it was the starter, so I tried the home remedies. Tapping with a hammer, removing ground wires and cleaning them. Nothing was working so I said screw it, did some research and bought the the upgraded XDP starter. Roughly $300, 3x more than a stock starter. I figured if the stock starters were crap, I didn't want to replace it again in a couple of years.

An hour and a half later, the old was out and the new one was in. I re-connected the batteries jumped in, hit the button and nothing but a click and reset.

I was on fire and clueless.

As a last ditch effort before scheduling an appointment with the mechanic, I checked the batteries with a volt meter. Both were reading 12.2. Even though that's not bad, I put both on chargers for the night.

In the morning she fired right up.

Moral of the story: check the simplest things first.

I could freaking kick myself.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Sorry to hear of the hassles. Yep sometimes its the easy things yet you said the lights were bright so…
On my 2019, the state of charge routinely went down to 12.1 after a week of not driving, yet it always started. Only failed me on the day I traded it off.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear of the hassles. Yep sometimes its the easy things yet you said the lights were bright so…
On my 2019, the state of charge routinely went down to 12.1 after a week of not driving, yet it always started. Only failed me on the day I traded it off.
LED lights aren't like incandescent bulbs. They'll light up bright until they don't light up at all.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So a couple weeks ago I went out to start my truck, pushed the button and got nothing but a click.

Lights were bright and accessories all lit up as normal, but all I got was a click and the computer reset like it's ready to start.

I hooked up the jump box and nothing.

I go in the house and start scouring the internet for known issues. This didn't seem to be an isolated issue and everyone seemed to have a different fix.

I was sure it was the starter, so I tried the home remedies. Tapping with a hammer, removing ground wires and cleaning them. Nothing was working so I said screw it, did some research and bought the the upgraded XDP starter. Roughly $300, 3x more than a stock starter. I figured if the stock starters were crap, I didn't want to replace it again in a couple of years.

An hour and a half later, the old was out and the new one was in. I re-connected the batteries jumped in, hit the button and nothing but a click and reset.

I was on fire and clueless.

As a last ditch effort before scheduling an appointment with the mechanic, I checked the batteries with a volt meter. Both were reading 12.2. Even though that's not bad, I put both on chargers for the night.

In the morning she fired right up.

Moral of the story: check the simplest things first.

I could freaking kick myself.
Checking battery health with just a volt meter is futile. You can have several dead cells and still read good voltage. Just won't be able to put out enough amps to crank the engine

Rebond

Reaction score
I did the same thing with our 2017 JK after it wouldn't start. Battery, fuses etc.. checked out good, figured it had to be the starter went bad.

Went to O'reilly after pulling battery and they tested the battery to be good too. Grabbed a new starter and installed it. Wouldn't start, so take back old starter for core and they test it, saying yeah it's bad.

I grab a new battery because it's 4 years old at this point with 35,000 miles and am frustrated....starts right up.

Only thing I ever did to that Wrangler in 7 years other than change oil/filters and brake pads, but at least it had a new starter it didn't need.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Sometimes its a loose ground or corrosion in a cable. My DIL’s van wouldn't start one day, battery tested good, no one thought to look closely at the positive cable, it was corroded inside. Took a $300 service bill to find it, as well as a tow.

Theres days you just have bad luck.

Users who are viewing this thread