5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Passenger CV axle play. Intermediate shaft????

joesram08

Reaction score
Hello!

First wanted to say this forum has been so valuable to me a Ram owner. So I have the infamous passenger side CV axle play. Pop/clicking noise and full lock low speed turns on initial acceleration. I had the truck up in the air today and confirmed it myself. I've scoured forums and the internet and I cant seem to find the answer to this question.

Is the passenger side Intermediate shaft, aka Stub Shaft, different from the driver side?? The driver side seems common and readily available but I cant find much info on the passenger side shaft. I know its recommended to change these as well as the CV axles when doing this job.

Lastly, anyone have experience with TRQ or Cardone CV axles and what is your opinion?

Thank you, look forward to your responses.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hello!

First wanted to say this forum has been so valuable to me a Ram owner. So I have the infamous passenger side CV axle play. Pop/clicking noise and full lock low speed turns on initial acceleration. I had the truck up in the air today and confirmed it myself. I've scoured forums and the internet and I cant seem to find the answer to this question.

Is the passenger side Intermediate shaft, aka Stub Shaft, different from the driver side?? The driver side seems common and readily available but I cant find much info on the passenger side shaft. I know its recommended to change these as well as the CV axles when doing this job.

Lastly, anyone have experience with TRQ or Cardone CV axles and what is your opinion?

This is a 5th gen. I presume.
The passenger stub shaft is different from drivers side.
Passenger stub shaft is not available from mopar, there are few aftermarket companies starting to make them, one is in Canada I believe.
If the intermediate/stub shaft splines are not too badly damaged, then I would grease them up and roll with it.

joesram08

Reaction score
Yes a 2019 5th gen big horn I should have clarified that. I'll get another look at the splines and decide what I want to do. Most likely just grease them and replace the CV. I'll def get some pics up when I do.

Thanks again. If anyone has any experience with TRQ or Cardone CV shafts i let me know what you think of them.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yes a 2019 5th gen big horn I should have clarified that. I'll get another look at the splines and decide what I want to do. Most likely just grease them and replace the CV. I'll def get some pics up when I do.

Thanks again. If anyone has any experience with TRQ or Cardone CV shafts i let me know what you think of them.
I wire brushed and greased mine.

Attachments

• half shaft and splines.jpg
    half shaft and splines.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 48

JayBee2019

Reaction score
Hello!

Hello, I just completed this project last Sunday. Went with a kit from Amazon (there are many companies that offer this kit) that offered both the left and right intermediate shafts, along with new seals and bearings. Some of these kits have a seal/coupler that seals the connection between the cv axle and the intermediate shaft. I believe this will be key to hopefully keeping the splines from wearing out like the stock set up did. This allows you to grease those splines and seal them from dirt and washout. Note that it’s not likely that you’ll find a kit that states it will fit a Gen 5 (6-lug) truck, but I purchased the kit for a Gen 4 (5-lug) truck and they are exactly the same parts. These companies just need to update their marketing to include the Gen 5 trucks.

I know you asked about cv axles, I went with GSP cv axles also from Amazon (part # NCV10040XD). Happy with them so far and they have a lifetime warranty.

Brand new splines that are greased and sealed should hopefully make this stupid cv axle/intermediate shaft wearing problem a one time problem. 🤞

Good luck on your project! 🤙

joesram08

Reaction score
Hello, I just completed this project last Sunday. Went with a kit from Amazon (there are many companies that offer this kit) that offered both the left and right intermediate shafts, along with new seals and bearings. Some of these kits have a seal/coupler that seals the connection between the cv axle and the intermediate shaft. I believe this will be key to hopefully keeping the splines from wearing out like the stock set up did. This allows you to grease those splines and seal them from dirt and washout. Note that it’s not likely that you’ll find a kit that states it will fit a Gen 5 (6-lug) truck, but I purchased the kit for a Gen 4 (5-lug) truck and they are exactly the same parts. These companies just need to update their marketing to include the Gen 5 trucks.

I know you asked about cv axles, I went with GSP cv axles also from Amazon (part # NCV10040XD). Happy with them so far and they have a lifetime warranty.

Brand new splines that are greased and sealed should hopefully make this stupid cv axle/intermediate shaft wearing problem a one time problem. 🤞

Good luck on your project! 🤙
Thank you! Do you happen to have a link for that kit?

Ramboh

Reaction score
What is considered too much play? I have a little, but it seems like there is a little play from new?

ws6guy

Reaction score
My 2021 with 42k miles has a little play as well. I thought about trying to grease it but figure the only proper way was to remove the shaft is to remove it and that's a hell of a lot of work for a band aid. I think this is covered under the 60k mile powertrain warranty so I plan on just keeping an eye on it until then. If it gets worse I'll see if the dealer will warranty it.

Users who are viewing this thread