5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Diesel additives

OhioCamper52

Reaction score
I'm a new diesel truck owner and have been seeing advertisements for Diesel Fuel additives. I did add Power Service Diesel Kleen (winter version) at my last fill-up because the ambient temperature dropped into the teens her in Ohio. I do understand that diesel fuel can gel at low temperatures. I am fairly certain that the diesel fuel that I used is already the winter blend variety and should not gel. Are these additives "snake oil" designed to lighten my wallet or are they really necessary? Is a cetane boost needed? do these products really increase fuel economy and protect the injector pump and DPF as advertised or am I wasting $$?

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am using the Hot Shots EDT since new. I am hoping it is keeping the HPFP from eating itself until I can get it replaced with the Recall.

Malodave

DietDiesel3.0

Reaction score
All these additives are an unnecessary expense to be completely honest. Unless your truck sits for extended periods of time, and refueling is far and in between, then maybe? Otherwise, save your money. I live in an environment that goes from one extreme weather forecast to the next. One day could be 60 degrees outside then the next could be 15 degrees and I've had zero issues with fuel problems. That being said, my vehicle is on its way to the dealership to have the HPFP recall replacement on Tuesday. Wish me luck!

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm a new diesel truck owner and have been seeing advertisements for Diesel Fuel additives. I did add Power Service Diesel Kleen (winter version) at my last fill-up because the ambient temperature dropped into the teens her in Ohio. I do understand that diesel fuel can gel at low temperatures. I am fairly certain that the diesel fuel that I used is already the winter blend variety and should not gel. Are these additives "snake oil" designed to lighten my wallet or are they really necessary? Is a cetane boost needed? do these products really increase fuel economy and protect the injector pump and DPF as advertised or am I wasting $$?
If you live in a cold environment like Ohio there's absolutely no reason to add anti gel. Your diesel fuel will already have it..

I drive my diesel to north ontario and Quebec and have seen temps as low as -30°C and have never used any addiditves or had any issues.

Sent from my SM-S911W using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/