5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Software Update - WTF?

GrandpaBob

Reaction score
So I went to Home Depot this evening and I'm all happy because I'm doing truck stuff with my pavement princess ;-) I get my lumber loaded into the back, climb in and start her up (love the rumble - every time). Then, I notice my screen says software update in progress - 44% done. What the heck? I didn't ask for this nor did I schedule it. Well okay, this shouldn't take long. Let's see - still at 44%. Well, I'll google Ram software updates on my phone and see what I can expect. This is what I got: "The update may take up to 45 minutes. Determine the safest and most convenient time to complete the update, then follow the prompts." I wish I could have determined the most convenient time but noooo. So, let's see - still 44%. Wait - just jumped to 52%. By now, all my happiness has seeped away. Fortunately (I guess) it only took about another 10 minutes.

Since this is the first update (that I know of anyway), I hadn't given updates much thought before. Does a person generally get to 'determine the … most convenient time' to take care of it or is it usually just a surprise?

Thanks for letting my rant. I still love the truck but the software engineers....not so much ;-)

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Could be worse.

In the middle of a critical systems migration with a client on a webex, and... IT security has pushed a mandatory day zero security update and reboot in 15 minutes and no way to delay or postpone. This has happened to myself and fellow coworkers on multiple occasions. All the ranting in the world falls on deaf ears and we're "coworkers?"

Talk about not caring for the customer.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It just does it on it's own. Generally shorter than it says. I took mine to a dealer once, and it started, just as I pulled in to the write up desk. They couldn't get the info from the dash, until it finished. Those updates don't happen very often though.

Users who are viewing this thread