5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

7in Evic cluster upgrade alfaobd programming

Undaground

Reaction score
Hello 5th gen community. Posting here to see if someone can help with this issue. I currently have a 2019 5th gen ram with a 3in cluster speedometer. I was able to pick up a used local Laramie 7in premium cluster speedometer for around $100. I removed all my dash panels using infotainments cluster replacement video on YouTube to replace the cluster. I have alfaobd, security bypass cables, and obdlink mx+ ( I have used this combo before to add additional functions to my ram with no issues). My problems is when I go to program the speedometer miles in alfa I have to put the miles in km to work (figured this out when I converted km to miles although in alfa it says to put the miles in) but even at that it's off by like 14 miles. I tried programming many times but it does not show the correct conversion. Also, even though I do not get errors I cannot set the idle hours and engine life hours. I tried setting with both just acc and in the on position. It just doesn't work even though alfa says it programmed successfully.

Did anyone do this change successfully or did you do it and just rolled with what alfa programmed? I would like to have an oem experience with this mod if possible. After trying for hours I gave up and put my 3in cluster back in.

In some videos and forum threads I see that there is an option to choose premium 7in cluster when changing the mileage but I'm thinking that was for the previous 4th gen or classic since I don't see that on my end. Also I saw info about people programming in their vin numbers in the new cluster. Any one have luck with any of this. Thanks is advance.

MannyN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Why are you worried about 14 miles? Idle hours and engine life hours are probably recorded in the ECU and not in the cluster.

Undaground

Reaction score
Why are you worried about 14 miles? Idle hours and engine life hours are probably recorded in the ECU and not in the cluster.
The 14 miles is not really a major concern I can live with it if need be but 2 issues with programming is what I'm asking about. I just wanted everything to mirror what my old cluster showed. After paying for the Alfaobd program, obdlink, bypass cables, and cluster (especially since alfaobd says the operation was successful and it was not) I would like to think it should work perfectly fine. Again, I have used alfaobd before with no hiccups. Just wanted to know if anyone else was experiencing issues when programming a different cluster.

Users who are viewing this thread