5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Michelin Defender LTX MS/2 - Best Tire?

Rock Crawler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m looking at the Michelin Defender LTX MS/2 285/45R22 tires due to all the positive feedback I‘ve read. Is this still the best street tire for our trucks? My truck is lowered and I do absolutely no off-roading with it as I have a Jeep for that. I’m just looking for a really good street tire that is quiet, has good wear life, and good grip in most conditions. I’m not worried about snow and ice because I drive my Jeep on those bad weather days. I am also considering the Continental CrossContact LX25. Thoughts?

Last edited:

dajogejr

Reaction score
The Pirellis that came on mine stock are doing a really nice job as far as wear so far, traction, noise.
I’ve taken my truck back on two tracks to hit the range, but I won’t off road it. I do drive in snow/ice, but we had a pretty mild winter in Michigan this past year.

I think the Pirellis are A little less expensive than the Michelins, but.. In all honesty… the couple bucks more for a Michelin…is most likely the route I’m gonna go when the time comes.
Significant savings with the Continentals… My only concern is the tire shops around me don’t tend to stock them. A blowout and you could be waiting a few days/week to get them. Just food for thought.

Snofire

Ram Guru
Reaction score
We have the LTX MS2 on our 2017 JGC as well as our 2014, they are a great tire. As soon as I got either vehicle I put these tires on right away. Just had to get new tires in November on the 2017 that has 78k on it and it still had some tread on it but the wife felt more comfortable with new tires coming into the winter season. I have them on my '21 Ram and have no complaints.

Anchor Down

Reaction score
This is my second Ram and that's the only tire I use. Quietest tire and smoothest ride I've ever seen in a truck. Never got stuck in snow either here in Ohio.

dajogejr

Reaction score
This is my second Ram and that's the only tire I use. Quietest tire and smoothest ride I've ever seen in a truck. Never got stuck in snow either here in Ohio.
Do you typically get advertised mileage out of them? 70ish?
I tend to rotate/balance my tires every oil change, 8 to 10K miles… unless the rears are wearing faster or the fronts are feathering the edges.
On my last RAM, I got about 55K out of a set of DuraTracs. At the end…they were noisy as all get out.
Factory Wrangler HPs they used to use, 20K or so, they were toast. Worst OEM Tire I’ve seen.

Merlin

Reaction score
I went from the stock Nexen Roadians to the Michelins. Much better ride. Quieter as well. Costco has bridgestone on sale right now, if you can wait they will probably put the michelins on sale soon.

lonepeak

Reaction score
Have used the LTX MS/2 and its predecessor for years. On new vehicles I go to my tire store and get $50 a tire for the old (new tires) and install the Michelins. Lived in CO mountains for years and began using them there. Not a deep snow tire but excellent in everything else. The tire has a lot of siping edges and therefor holds well on braking and cornering. It is quiet and long lasting. Tire Rack rates this tire at or near the top of anything in its class. Any of the Pirelli tires are not even in the top 10. Will be getting a new Limited this year and will take off the Pirellis and install the Michelins.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I had two sets of Michelin LTX, not impressed at all and no I didn't get 70K miles out of them, maybe 45k at best. I went with Pirellis Scorpion AS Plus 3's and they've been great and are quiet. One thing I didn't like about the Michelins was driving in Texas spring thunderstorms. Full tread, they were ok but after that I found them to hydroplane easily, the Pirelies even at 1/2 tread took yesterdays storms with ease.
I'll buy them again when these wear out.

*The As Plus 3 aren't the same as the OEM Pirellis

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Don't look past the Kumho Crugen HT51. I have installed so many of these and every customer I have recommended them to has been very happy. My father has them on his 2012 1500 for a couple of years in Northern Michigan and has raved about them. 70k rated tire and 3 peak rated.

Scram1500

Reaction score
I have 30k on mine with 5/32 left, but I seem to trash tires so don't go by me. They are nice and quiet, basically no road noise. The tire shop said they had trouble getting two of them to balance, which is barely noticeable when they're rotated to the front. Overall traction is okay, but not great, maybe it's the 3.92 and a heavy foot. They haven't blown me away like I hoped but I'd probably get them again if I wasn't in the market for all terrains

dajogejr

Reaction score
One thing I didn't like about the Michelins was driving in Texas spring thunderstorms. Full tread, they were ok but after that I found them to hydroplane easily,

*The As Plus 3 aren't the same as the OEM Pirellis
Bow down, great point. I’ve had tires before that were great new…most are, but… at half life, not so great. Between wet traction and road noise…. Great point.

Understood and good call out the AS +3 not being the same as OEM Scorpion Verde.

Kiwiaudio

Reaction score
Ive had the LTX MS/2 on several vehicles and loved them. Cannot speak to longevity as those vehicles are all gone from my stable, but every other aspect of a great tire exists in these.
Ive had other Michelins that have worn down to nothing, and have always been of the opinion that the brand is good to the end, which is rare. As others have stated, so many tires are junk when half worn.
These oem Pirellis are surprising me, they ride great and handle great, but they are new !

Rock Crawler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My truck came stock with the Goodyear Eagle Touring tires. I’m at about 16K miles and will need new tires fairly soon. I’m guessing at about 20K or so, as I’m not down to the wear bars yet. I rotate my tires every oil change (5K miles) and they are wearing very even. I’ll admit, I’m not the easiest on tires, but these seemed to have worn out rather quickly.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've had a couple sets of the MS2's on other trucks, great tire and good traction. This time I tried the Continental Terrain Contact HT's and they are great as well. I probably give them a slight nod over the Michelin's as the Michelin's can get a little hard as the age and you loose a little bit of traction, haven't had that with the Continentals which I have 45,000 miles on them now.

dajogejr

Reaction score
My truck came stock with the Goodyear Eagle Touring tires. I’m at about 16K miles and will need new tires fairly soon. I’m guessing at about 20K or so, as I’m not down to the wear bars yet. I rotate my tires every oil change (5K miles) and they are wearing very even. I’ll admit, I’m not the easiest on tires, but these seemed to have worn out rather quickly.
Same.
On my previous RAMs (06, 08, 15) All factory Wrangler HPs. I can’t say I was super easy on them, but… I wasn’t granny footing it either. 20K, gone.

BowDown

Reaction score

Mine only lasted about 12-15k miles. I pushed them to 20k but they were done by 15k.

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Don't think you can do better for a highway tire than the Michelin Defender LTX M+S (note there is a different Michelin LTX AT/S that isn't as well regarded).

I imagine you can do about as well with other top tier brands like Continental or Bridgestone, but the M+S is the benchmark.

Still recall being out on a snowy hunting trail in an old F150 on a set of these. Had no business being out there, but it just moved through about 18" of snow and frozen streams like it was on treads. Just amazing for a highway tire that also has amazing road manners.

BowDown

Reaction score

uncc_99xj

Reaction score

Same, and at 20K mine are shot too. I'm religious about rotation/balance and oil changes at 5K, and they've worn evenly. Just not a good truck tire, plain and simple.

I've had a couple sets of the MS2's on other trucks, great tire and good traction. This time I tried the Continental Terrain Contact HT's and they are great as well. I probably give them a slight nod over the Michelin's as the Michelin's can get a little hard as the age and you loose a little bit of traction, haven't had that with the Continentals which I have 45,000 miles on them now.

I've got nothing bad at all to say about the MS2's after years of running them on other vehicles, but these Continental's definitely have my attention. Especially at about $300 cheaper installed in a 22" size.

Users who are viewing this thread