5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Off Button for Climate Control?

akaTheDude

Reaction score
Still getting use to my new RAM 1500 so please forgive me if I have missed it, but is there a true off button for the climate control other than going into the climate settings and using the touch screen?

You can hit the auto button to turn it on, but no button to turn it off. I know this isnt an issue, but just curious is I am missing something here?

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Should be an "Off" button on your comfort screen. It's near the bottom on the 12 inch screen.

AC Off.jpg

akaTheDude

Reaction score
Should be an "Off" button on your comfort screen. It's near the bottom on the 12 inch screen.

View attachment 178569
10-4 thank you. That is the only one I can find as well. I was guessing there might be a physical button you could hit like the auto button.

Thanks for the reply :)

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would guess they stopped using dash real-estate for a button most people will never use. In over 45 years of driving I don't remember turning the climate control system completely off in any vehicle I've owned.

akaTheDude

Reaction score
You can press the fan speed down button (multiple times maybe) to turn off the CC system as well. I found this to the easiest for me and I turn it off quite often as I enjoy driving with my windows down. It can be done no matter what screen is on the display.
Good idea! I am a windows down kinda guy so I turn mine off all the time

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That interesting, I turn mine off and roll the windows down often.

I see no reason to turn the entire system off when rolling down windows. I just turn the AC off so the compressor is not running. If the fan is on high speed, which it rarely is I just turn it down a few notches.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I see no reason to turn the entire system off when rolling down windows. I just turn the AC off so the compressor is not running. If the fan is on high speed, which it rarely is I just turn it down a few notches.
Wait...the windows roll down? :eek: 🤯

I can't remember the last time I drove with the windows down in any vehicle that has air conditioning.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wait...the windows roll down? :eek: 🤯

I can't remember the last time I drove with the windows down in any vehicle that has air conditioning.

They don't roll down from the factory. You have to take it to your dealer and have them install the MOPAR Window Crank option.

images

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
They don't roll down from the factory. You have to take it to your dealer and have them install the MOPAR Window Crank option.

images
I've seen such devices in my archaeological digs through local junkyards. Such simple but effective technology. I wouldn't even believe such a thing ever existed if not for the fact that most of the 50 or so cars I've owned in my life have had them. :p

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
No need to run the hvsc fan with windows down. Unless you just want to replace the fan sooner.

I took enjoy driving with windows down, as often as I can, and then off my fan anytime I do I use the arrow down on side of display, that is after I figured that out.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No need to run the hvsc fan with windows down. Unless you just want to replace the fan sooner.

Also no harm in running the fan with the windows down. The insinuation that you will have to replace it if you do is complete nonsense.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Also no harm in running the fan with the windows down. The insinuation that you will have to replace it if you do is complete nonsense.
Electric motors and electronics degrade over time. Just a matter of how quickly, based on use. The more often you use it, the less lifespan(in time) it will have. Chances of having to replace it, during your time as owner, are probably low, but if you want to keep it long term, it's a consideration. But I'm sure you have some magical HVAC blower that defies logic.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Electric motors and electronics degrade over time. Just a matter of how quickly, based on use. The more often you use it, the less lifespan(in time) it will have. Chances of having to replace it, during your time as owner, are probably low, but if you want to keep it long term, it's a consideration. But I'm sure you have some magical HVAC blower that defies logic.

Nothing magic about it. Just dozens of car purchases over the last 45 years with several traveling more than 200,000 miles and never turning off anything but the AC compressor and never having to replace an HVAC fan in any of them. There is no logic behind the belief that failing to turn off your HVAC fan during the few miles when someone might drive with the windows down will cause the fan to fail during the typical lifetime of a vehicle.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Nothing magic about it. Just dozens of car purchases over the last 45 years with several traveling more than 200,000 miles and never turning off anything but the AC compressor and never having to replace an HVAC fan in any of them. There is no logic behind the belief that failing to turn off your HVAC fan during the few miles when someone might drive with the windows down will cause the fan to fail during the typical lifetime of a vehicle.
Some of us drive more with windows down in nice weather than with them up. I have replaced blower motors on vehicles before. And have replaced even more blower motor resistors. I don't think the resistors are used anymore though with the modern variable speed "auto" HVAC.

Everything has a finite lifespan. And I'm sure there is an average runtime, in hours, for the HVAC blower. But I even I said the chances of it failure during a normal person's period of ownership. But you can't argue that running it more doesn't decrease the lifespan.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
This seems like a stupid hill to die on. I've replaced a handful of blower motors over the years. All of those vehicles were old with high mileage. On every one of them it was cheap and easy to replace them. I can't speak for newer vehicles because it's been almost 15 years since I changed one. But I can't imagine they're much more difficult or expensive now, provided you replace it yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread