5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Lemon Ram PTSD. Input please.

RamBamRepeat

Reaction score
Ok, so Hemi is basically in my blood (if you know you know) going back to my first new Ram 1500 purchase in 2005. Loved that bright white truck, painted bumpers, sunroof, Hemi. I couldn't afford the 4x4 option back then and so wanted it. Fantastic truck none the less.

Since then I've purchased a new Hemi Ram every 3 years. That is, until the 2019 Ram Limited 4x4 lemon.

I finally was at the point in life that I could get the exact Ram I wanted with every option box checked. 4x4, Rambox, sunroof etc etc. You get the idea.

It was love at first sight on arrival. That is until the first time (and every time after) I tried to put fuel in it and the gas station pumps would stick for a half hour or more to it each fill up. I mean push, pull, sweet talk, bad words, researching the issue trying every hack mentioned for the issue, plus a year of the truck in and out of dealerships with too many fuel tank parts, factory fuel neck redesigns put in it to remember. Anyway, after a year plus of battle, the truck went back under lemon law. I replaced it with a loaded up Mojave Gladiator. Fun little trucks they are. It's now sold and time for my next truck.

Anyway, with this being the last year of the Hemi, I really want to get one. Still got that sour lemon taste going on from the first year 19 though.

Not really interested in the new hurricane 6, more power or not. Maybe I will be down the road but not going to be first year test pigeon again for the upcoming 25 models.

So, as general discussion, what are some thoughts on the outgoing Hemi? That etorque worked through the bugs and now a good set up on the 24 Hemi? Or, best to find a 22 without it?

You being able to fill up your trucks without cursing up a storm while trying to get your truck unknotted from gas station nozzles?

If I get another 5th gen and it has that gas station issue, friends and family will never let me hear the end of it....especially the spouse!

Thanks in advance for your input on buying a 2024 Ram 1500 Hemi in whatever direction you take it.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't have any problem filling with gas. I pull the handle level fully and it won't shut off until the tank is full. However, this is my 4th Hemi Ram and by far it's the glitchiest. With my last 3 combined I only made 1 trip to the dealer for repair. At less than 10,000 miles I've already tied that figure.

RamBamRepeat

Reaction score
I don't have any problem filling with gas. I pull the handle level fully and it won't shut off until the tank is full. However, this is my 4th Hemi Ram and by far it's the glitchiest. With my last 3 combined I only made 1 trip to the dealer for repair. At less than 10,000 miles I've already tied that figure.
Thanks for the reply. What are some of the glitches. Dealer been able to find them?

TheWaterman83

Reaction score
Mine only has the fuel fill shutoff bug now and then. However, I have the 33 gallon tank and I think for whatever reason, it doesn't seem to happen as much with the 33.

My 19' Rebel went through all the fun issues. Various leaks, cracked rear window frame, bad e-torque, bad battery, and I just had the passenger side exhaust manifold replaced.

Here's my take:

- I absolutely under no circumstances want a 4/6 cylinder turbo motor in a truck. Whether it's the new Hurricane, Ford Eco series, etc.
- I hate the E-torque. I have it, wish I didn't, and realize it's probably going to be replaced again at some point. Truck was a demo and it had it so I can't beat myself up over it.

With that being said, you're stuck in a spot because only the 2019-2022's can be found without, and they still have a lot of the bugs of the early model years (cracking rear window frames, leaks, exhaust manifolds, etc.) The E-torque is not my favorite but they are very good about fixing under warranty and the parts are less expensive now.

My vote is try to find a 2024 with the 5.7L before they are all gone. The only issue I know of that still exists is the exhaust manifolds. I'd rather replace e-torque components than turbos, intercoolers, and internal engine parts worn out from forced induction.

I ended up buying my truck because I needed a 3rd vehicle for the house and saw the writing on the wall. I will likely drive it till it dies and then see where the world is at then. Maybe by then we will have V8's in the 1500's again? If not I'd consider going up to a 1500.

Dodge really disappointed me with the 2025. They went from pushing e-torque in the hemi in 19-22, mandatory in 23-24 with the hemi, to completely axing the hemi in 2025.

Nascar Tommy

My other Ram is a Dodge.
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, so Hemi is basically in my blood (if you know you know) going back to my first new Ram 1500 purchase in 2005. Loved that bright white truck, painted bumpers, sunroof, Hemi. I couldn't afford the 4x4 option back then and so wanted it. Fantastic truck none the less.

Since then I've purchased a new Hemi Ram every 3 years. That is, until the 2019 Ram Limited 4x4 lemon.

I finally was at the point in life that I could get the exact Ram I wanted with every option box checked. 4x4, Rambox, sunroof etc etc. You get the idea.

It was love at first sight on arrival. That is until the first time (and every time after) I tried to put fuel in it and the gas station pumps would stick for a half hour or more to it each fill up. I mean push, pull, sweet talk, bad words, researching the issue trying every hack mentioned for the issue, plus a year of the truck in and out of dealerships with too many fuel tank parts, factory fuel neck redesigns put in it to remember. Anyway, after a year plus of battle, the truck went back under lemon law. I replaced it with a loaded up Mojave Gladiator. Fun little trucks they are. It's now sold and time for my next truck.

Anyway, with this being the last year of the Hemi, I really want to get one. Still got that sour lemon taste going on from the first year 19 though.

Not really interested in the new hurricane 6, more power or not. Maybe I will be down the road but not going to be first year test pigeon again for the upcoming 25 models.

So, as general discussion, what are some thoughts on the outgoing Hemi? That etorque worked through the bugs and now a good set up on the 24 Hemi? Or, best to find a 22 without it?

You being able to fill up your trucks without cursing up a storm while trying to get your truck unknotted from gas station nozzles?

If I get another 5th gen and it has that gas station issue, friends and family will never let me hear the end of it....especially the spouse!

Thanks in advance for your input on buying a 2024 Ram 1500 Hemi in whatever direction you take it.
My 2023 etorque, which I'm sure you know you have no option on,is a year and 3 months old although very low mileage, 3,891 so far so good no problem fueling either.

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As long as you don't use the green nozzle it should be fine.

Seriously though, I loiter around here from time to time & I hadn't heard of the issue before now.
Makes me think the probability of you getting it twice is incredibly low.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Oh yea. I also have the 33 gallon fuel tank so that might make a difference.

The dealer visit was for the thread on the steering wheel unraveling; they replaced it.

Below are a few of the glitches, mostly Uconnect related.
  • Nav screen will occasionally reboot while driving down the road and will not allow you to start your previous navigation until you pull over and restart the truck.
  • Carplay occasionally disconnects and will not reconnect until you restart the truck. This happens more frequently that the Uconnect Nav rebooting so it makes Carplay navigation more of a pain that just using the truck's navigation.
  • Occasionally when manually selecting a climate mode (like defrost) I cannot go back to automatic or manually select another mode until I reboot Uconnect or restart the truck.
  • Stereo fidelity is much lower if passing through CarPlay than it is if I disconnect carplay and just play from same device over bluetooth without carplay.
  • Nearly every time I restart, Uconnect does not fully connect to the last source and occasionally connects to an entirely different source. I created a recent post on this issue.
  • Occasionally, I will receive warnings on cluster that certain systems are inoperable when just driving down the highway and nothing else has changed that should have made them inoperable. E.g. Adaptive Cruise control, collision system, automatic high beams). Some of the time they will come back in a few seconds or minutes and others you need to reboot or restart.
I'm sure I've forgot a few. Most are rare and some are easily mitigated but they all add up to an annoyance I never had on any of my past Rams. Most occur infrequently enough that I'm sure the dealer won't be able to duplicate them.

When I was shopping for my Ram, I was also considering a GMC Denali. I went with the Ram because of the good luck I had with my past 3 Rams and there were better discounts for Rams than GMC. I now wish I had given the GMC a chance. I have a late model Chevy car with the premium Bose infotainment system and it works more reliability and is a much higher sound quality than the HK in my Ram. However, GM has also had a problem with valves and pushrods in recent years and I'm not sure they have that worked out.

I would love to love a Ford, but I cannot get comfortable behind the drivers seat. It's like the firewall is further back toward the dash. I can get the seat back enough not to cramp my legs but then it's a stretch to reach the dash or steering wheel even with telescoping wheel. Maybe I have long legs and stubby arms.

TheWaterman83

Reaction score
As long as you don't use the green nozzle it should be fine.

Seriously though, I loiter around here from time to time & I hadn't heard of the issue before now.
Makes me think the probability of you getting it twice is incredibly low.

It's not just limited to the 5.7 and Rams. My last JGC did the same thing. I want to say that was a 2017? I can't remember. I had a 2014 JGC before that. I do not recall that one having the problem though.

It's a Mopar thing. The last time it happened the gas station attendant (I'm in NJ) said it was always a Dodge, Ram or Chrysler he saw having the issue.

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I personally would find a deal without etorque. Seem it doesn't help MPG, so not worth the hassle to me. I have a 19 without it. No issues with refills.

Yes rear window and manifolds are still issues new or used.

Camelot

Reaction score
I purchased a new 2024 RAM 1500 LARAMIE with 5.7 HEMI and etourque. I took delivery a couple of months ago and so far no issues or concerns from my side.

I had a 2021 LIMITED ecodiesel that had more problems than I can remember, suspension issues, leaking rear window, wrong wired from factory (Harness) locked front diff for no reason.

cerbo

Reaction score
24 1500 BTS, 5.7, etourgue , smaller tank and never had an issue filling it. They say the 24 rear windows are new but I silicone d mine right away. 1300 miles and no issues so far. I shut the auto stop/start when I start the truck. Not even really broken in and on winter fuel getting 19-20 MPG average on my DD route the last 3 fill ups( that s conservative driving for sure). I was super nervous after some of the issues I ve read but it s the internet and some things get over stressed. I d go with a 24 and avoid anyones issues.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I'll bite. My 19 Ltd was a great truck, sold to buy a house.
Never had gassing issues.

My 23' mostly the same Ltd truck is excellent. Came std with ET which I would prefer to not have (more to go wrong) but no choice since it was new.

I'd buy it again.

Hope you find what you want, wise to stay away from a new engine, especially an HO version.

Would be a fun ride though! 😮🤣

Last edited:

uncc_99xj

Reaction score
It's not just limited to the 5.7 and Rams. My last JGC did the same thing. I want to say that was a 2017? I can't remember. I had a 2014 JGC before that. I do not recall that one having the problem though.

It's a Mopar thing. The last time it happened the gas station attendant (I'm in NJ) said it was always a Dodge, Ram or Chrysler he saw having the issue.

Our 2020 JGC does it if I don't line up the fuel door with the pump handle *just* right when I pull up to the pump. In our case, putting the nozzle in upside down is the workaround. Haven't had this issue with my Ram (yet), so we'll see.

dajogejr

Reaction score
Here’s what you can count on. A dozen or so people on here with a complaint, issues or concerns.
Hundreds of thousands driven daily without issue.

I’m almost to 10K on my 23 limited. One snow season, coming out of it now. Zero issues. Only problems I’ve had are self induced (automated car wash scratches, trailer hopping off the hitch and kissing my bumper).
I like the eTorque personally. Comparing my current 23 limited to my 15 limited, (to be fair, 3.21 in my current vs. 3.92 in the 15)…I like the better gas mileage. Noticable. I leave the stop/start on, zero Issues. the only time I turn it off is bumper to bumper traffic…then it gets a little annoying.

My 15 went to the dealer at least 4-5 times for air ride. I’m hoping I don’t fare the same with this truck but I put 8/125 Max care on it just in case. The only thing I miss about the 15 was the payment…none :)

Well, I miss the 6’4 bed…but oh well.

It’s seriously luck of the draw. For the most part, on forums, you’ll hear the bad luck.

RamBamRepeat

Reaction score
Thanks all for the replies. I found a new 22 and a new 24 loaded up with every option there is, including the off road package etc. Throwing prior lemonade to the wind, will be going with the last year, last of 24 Hemi trucks. Papers signed. Just logistics of going to get it.

dajogejr

Reaction score
Thanks all for the replies. I found a new 22 and a new 24 loaded up with every option there is, including the off road package etc. Throwing prior lemonade to the wind, will be going with the last year, last of 24 Hemi trucks. Papers signed. Just logistics of going to get it.

congrats. Just remember, pics or it didn’t happen…:)

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

It's not a mopar thing, my wifes Jag XF does it but only at certain gas stations. Exxon causes her nothing but grief however I can take the car to a Quick Trip and fill it with no stopping. My truck rarely has the issue but when it does, it's the gas station pump handle.
One Costco I fill up at added more pump islands, everytime I use those pumps, it shuts off unless I hold the back of the pump handle up as high as it can go however the other handles need no attention at all.
I dont believe its a fuel tank issue as much as its a fuel pump handle issue

Users who are viewing this thread