5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vibration help

firemedic10584

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ok guys,

Got an issue that driving me nuts. I have a vibration when driving that begins around 45 mph. It will go away once I get above 46-47 mph. It then returns around 57-60 mph and then will go away once more once I get above that. I have had my local shop roadforce balance my wheels and tires 3 times now. On the last trip, they told me they believed my alignment was out and that could be causing my vibration. They promise the balance on the wheels and tires is good. So, I went and had an alignment done because I also felt like my alignment was off. The alignment shop did confirm the toe was off a bit and aligned it back within spec. BUT! The damn vibration seemed even WORSE after the alignment! It's not where it's rattling the whole truck, but I can feel the vibration in my seat, my side mirrors are shaking while it's happening and my daughter's car seat in the back has a level ball thing in it, and it also rattles around when this is occurring. I'm not sure what to check at this point. Any ideas?

Setup is - Nitto Ridge Grapplers 33x12.5x22 on OEM 22" wheels. Tires only have around 3-4k miles on them.

Kicker

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Check the tires for a defect. You may see a bubble, something like that. Any crap stuck to the wheel like mud, snow, dead skunk, etc.
Also, if you have ever used the "gunk" tire sealer when having a flat or slow leak, that will raze hell.

EJ84

Reaction score
Did it start after you put on the new tires? I have similar issue, it started when I put on new Toyo’s. Going back hopefully next week to see if I get get them replaced under warranty, I’ve had the road force balanced twice and it doesn’t change.

firemedic10584

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Did it start after you put on the new tires? I have similar issue, it started when I put on new Toyo’s. Going back hopefully next week to see if I get get them replaced under warranty, I’ve had the road force balanced twice and it doesn’t change.
I don’t know exactly when it started, it’s been going on for a little while now. But I’d say since having the new tires put on. I’m thinking it has to be an issue with the tires as well.

E.Hands

Reaction score
Ok guys,

Got an issue that driving me nuts. I have a vibration when driving that begins around 45 mph. It will go away once I get above 46-47 mph. It then returns around 57-60 mph and then will go away once more once I get above that. I have had my local shop roadforce balance my wheels and tires 3 times now. On the last trip, they told me they believed my alignment was out and that could be causing my vibration. They promise the balance on the wheels and tires is good. So, I went and had an alignment done because I also felt like my alignment was off. The alignment shop did confirm the toe was off a bit and aligned it back within spec. BUT! The damn vibration seemed even WORSE after the alignment! It's not where it's rattling the whole truck, but I can feel the vibration in my seat, my side mirrors are shaking while it's happening and my daughter's car seat in the back has a level ball thing in it, and it also rattles around when this is occurring. I'm not sure what to check at this point. Any ideas?

Setup is - Nitto Ridge Grapplers 33x12.5x22 on OEM 22" wheels. Tires only have around 3-4k miles on them.
Can you determine if it is coming from the front axle or the rear? Left or the Right hand side?
Process of elimination: If you have a 33" spare then move some tires around to see if the vibration moves.

firemedic10584

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Can you determine if it is coming from the front axle or the rear? Left or the Right hand side? If you have a 33" spare then move some tires around to see if the vibration moves.
I forgot to update this - I had brand new Hankook Dynapro AT2s put on a couple days ago. The vibration issue is now completely gone. So, it was certainly something with those Nittos. Surprising since Nittos are very popular and I’ve had 2-3 sets in the past with zero issues.

EJ84

Reaction score
Just had my tires road force balanced for the 3rd time and they are now telling me one tire is slightly out of road and Can’t be balanced below 40lb. Pretty frustrated at this point.

E.Hands

Reaction score
Just had my tires road force balanced for the 3rd time and they are now telling me one tire is slightly out of road and Can’t be balanced below 40lb. Pretty frustrated at this point.
Sounds like you found the root of the problem. Change that egg out!
I forgot to update this - I had brand new Hankook Dynapro AT2s put on a couple days ago. The vibration issue is now completely gone. So, it was certainly something with those Nittos. Surprising since Nittos are very popular and I’ve had 2-3 sets in the past with zero issues.
Even in Formula One tires sets sometimes they will get a rotten egg!

firemedic10584

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My new tires seemed to fix my issue about 98%. I still notice some shaking and vibrating but it’s not all the time. So I’m thinking it’s just certain roads I travel on causing it. I’m done chasing it on my truck unless it worsens.

EJ84

Reaction score
Tires currently have 16-18,000, am I better off replacing 2 rear tires so they match in tread depth? Sucks to have dealt with this so long

GMetal

Reaction score
There is a range on those road force balancers. I ask for photos of the resulting data after they have been balanced. Ive seen wheel/tire combos within "range" but still vibrate. Ive also seen many tires that are brand new and need far too much weight to balance out.
I dont know what it is about these trucks but that 57mph range is common for vibrations. My stock setup vibrated. I had the tires rebalanced and rotated and the vibration went away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online