5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rust spots on my 2023 rebel gt

RebelliousGt

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I’ve just noticed rust specks on the lower part of the drive and passenger side doors. I took it to the dealership and they said they’ve never seen that before. Has anyone encountered this on a one year old truck? I’ll post some spots I took pictures of. Hopefully someone has some answers. These are rust and not chips in the paint from rocks or salt, it’s almost like it’s within the paint. Dealership said it’s under warranty but I’d rather not have my four doors repainted and looking different from the rest of the truck.

Attachments

• IMG_9759.jpeg
    IMG_9759.jpeg
    133.4 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_9755.jpeg
    IMG_9755.jpeg
    194.1 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_9754.jpeg
    IMG_9754.jpeg
    202.7 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_9753.jpeg
    IMG_9753.jpeg
    232.3 KB · Views: 53

deese

Reaction score
Possible paint contamination? Could try clay bar to see if it gets removed.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Try IronX follow by a claybar, might not be in the paint but on top and just needs to be removed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just remember that brake rotors are still steel and wear as we drive making metal flakes airborne. Also, our trucks are delivered to the dealers in most cases via train which is also well known for fall out. Use the items listed above and then wax or seal the paint. This will happen again. Have you ever looked at the urethane bumpers on a white car? All of the orange specs that are stuck in the clear, but you can't feel, are usually brake and metal dust from the roads.

RebelliousGt

Reaction score
Just remember that brake rotors are still steel and wear as we drive making metal flakes airborne. Also, our trucks are delivered to the dealers in most cases via train which is also well known for fall out. Use the items listed above and then wax or seal the paint. This will happen again. Have you ever looked at the urethane bumpers on a white car? All of the orange specs that are stuck in the clear, but you can't feel, are usually brake and metal dust from the roads.
Try IronX follow by a claybar, might not be in the paint but on top and just needs to be removed.

Thanks for the info

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's likely rail dust (brake dust from the train that transported it to your dealer). I'm guessing you're not close to Detroit?

A clar bar should remove them, fingers crossed no damage.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Doesn’t have to be Iron X but any quality Iron remover should do the trick along with a claybar or claymit.

dajogejr

Reaction score
I’ll give it a shot, they also apparently put a paint protector on that I paid for
You may want to qualify what they consider paint protector. Is it some kind of coating or an actual PPF?
Paint protector could mean wax, ceramic “sealant”, ceramic coat, PPF…

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I’ll give it a shot, they also apparently put a paint protector on that I paid for
If they actually, properly, applied paint protection, they should have cleaned all that off the truck, and they should be covering the cost of removing the rust specs. Unless you don't trust them anymore then, by all means, do it yourself

RebelliousGt

Reaction score
If you have PPF on that, you wil not be able to remove it as it is under the film.
No, just a paint protection the dealership apparently put on for $600 of up sells. Doubt it’s actually been applied, especially after I looked underneath the truck for the undercoating and saw only the bed floor sprayed.

RebelliousGt

Reaction score
If they actually, properly, applied paint protection, they should have cleaned all that off the truck, and they should be covering the cost of removing the rust specs. Unless you don't trust them anymore then, by all means, do it yourself
They did say it will be fully covered a repaired if it worsens.

RebelliousGt

Reaction score
If it worsens? It needs repaired now, that's a "defect" their paint protection should have prevented.
Exactly why I think they never applied it, much like the undercoating that was just applied to the bed box floor only.

Users who are viewing this thread