5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Leak damage!!!

johnredmond1977

Reaction score
Good morning, looking for recommendations. So like so many other members I have just experienced the cargo light leak and from back window seal on my 2021 1500 Laramie. I found this because I went out to my truck and had an overwhelming smell of mildew. I pulled up the rubber mats and the front drivers side and passengers side carpet was sopping wet. I steamed cleaned it to get most of the water up and immediately contacted the dealership. I took it is and the actual leak guy determined the leaks were coming from the cargo light and back light seal (window). I currently have $36,800 miles on my truck and had purchased the extended max care warranty of 5 years/ 60,000 miles. The dealership states that the cargo light was covered under the XG1 warranty extension from Ram because this is a known defect and then kept saying that the max care warranty doesn’t cover the other leak! The dealership ended up giving me a “Goodwill Gesture” and took care of the repair. The dealership had also stated that the only way to get rid of the mildew smell is to replace the carpet for $2300 and that will not be covered. So although Ram has acknowledged the defect and extended the warranty on this defect, they apparently do not cover the resulting damage to the truck caused by the defect! My insurance company said they will not cover it because it is a vehicle defect and Ram Care denied the claim for the replacement of the carpet and said there are several similar claims and all are getting denied!!! They tried to make it better by offering me a 36 month service contract but that does not take away the financial burden that I am left with due to a manufacturing defect! Anyone else deal with this issue and how did you respond? Thanks.

FastBlackRam

Reaction score
I think maybe hydrogen peroxide will kill the mold and mildew and get rid of the smell? But I'm not sure how you would get it everywhere it would have to go. Like soaking the carpet with it? Could be a tough DIY. When I had a water leak in my house that caused mold under my carpet on the subflooring, the Serv-Pro guys pulled up the carpet in the area and sprayed it with hydrogen peroxide and it killed the mold and mildew INSTANTLY. Smell was gone. Now I did replace the carpet so not exactly the same. Maybe worth a shot before replacing all the carpet.

cerbo

Reaction score
home depo/lowes carries products for mold, FYI

daustin

Reaction score
I think an ozone generator helped kill the mold and smell when I had leakage on my wifes car (trunk).

Yep.

OP, use an ozone generator in the cab, with all doors shut, and the HVAC on recirculate for 10-15 minutes. Make sure you follow all precautions when using the ozone generator, like don't stay in the truck, etc. Amazon has many inexpensive units that could probably be delivered same or next day.

Over Labor Day weekend in 2020, I had a pound of ground beef slip out of a grocery bag and slide under the driver's seat of my F150. Not knowing that happened, I unloaded the groceries and didn't get back in the truck until three days later. This was in 110 degree weather. The smell was so bad, I could not even get in the truck. Nothing I tried got the smell out, to include professionally shampooing the carpets, odor eliminator bombs, Febreze, Lysol, etc. I then bought an ozone generator and the smell was gone after 15 minutes of running it in the cab. It did have an ozone smell for a few days, but that dissipated soon enough.

yellowboy

Reaction score
See if you qualify under the lemon law in your state - after all that's what these trucks are- lemons.

cerbo

Reaction score

Look like it may not help with mold under the carpet (or in). ??

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Wet things down with peroxide then shop vac up as much as you can. Dry with a fan going in the cab overnight. Hopefully you have a garage so you can leave the windows down. When dry, hit the ozone with things closed up. Open again for a few days to air out.

Report back.

Users who are viewing this thread