5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Obnoxious Driver Side Interior Squeak

BryanPendleton

Reaction score
Looking for any positive leads on an annoying driver side interior squeak, that is eminating from the steering wheel area. I have used force to dampen most external panels and it does not change the sounds at all, so I am assuming its behind some of the paneling. I was going to start dismanteling stuff, but really hate to break these fragile interiors of modern cars.

Any leads on possible source of squeak, which sounds like a little chirping bird singing away?
Or perhaps some good instructions or diagrams on how to take apart some of the panel around the steering wheel?

Thank you,

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Under what driving conditions does it do it?
Can you make a recording of it , upload to you-tube and post a link to it here.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Before you start dismantling stuff remove everything from all storage compartments and storage pockets and drive the truck to see if the squeak goes away.

On a recent long road trip I had an annoying squeak that would pop up every time the interstate wasn't perfectly smooth. It sounded like it was coming from below the rear passenger seat. Over several hundred miles I started isolating everything that was stored inside the truck and finally discovered the squeak was the clip on a hard plastic id badge I had stored in the pocket above the phone charger in the center console.

stjohnbradley56

Reaction score
Looking for any positive leads on an annoying driver side interior squeak, that is eminating from the steering wheel area. I have used force to dampen most external panels and it does not change the sounds at all, so I am assuming its behind some of the paneling. I was going to start dismanteling stuff, but really hate to break these fragile interiors of modern cars.

Any leads on possible source of squeak, which sounds like a little chirping bird singing away?
Or perhaps some good instructions or diagrams on how to take apart some of the panel around the steering wheel?

Thank you,
Once you tear into it post back I know exactly what you are talking about

Quietpeen

Reaction score
i read a thread somewhere about a squeak that sounded like it was coming from the dash maybe even behind the speedometer and it turned out to be the the windshield washer nozzle(I think).

Last edited:

BryanPendleton

Reaction score
Well, I stumbled onto what I believe is my “chirping bird”. Basically yesterday morning I fired up the wipers to clear condensation and noticed a similar chirp that did NOT sound like the blades squeaking against the glass. Later that day during lunch and while traveling down a bumpy road the chirpy bird was doing its thing. Well I reached over and turned on the wipers and the noise stopped.

When I got home I found this wiper pivot shaft has some slight play in it that is creating the noise. While not “interior” it is just under the dash near the base of the windshield, so I am 99% sure this is the source. Will report back on solutions once I dig in.

Here is the video:

Whodeysrt

Reaction score
I used wd40 where the blade hooks to the shaft of the driver side post of the wiper. Instantly fixed that chirping. Have to take off a couple of plastic pins to pry up black plastic cover to get the wd40 extension Nozzle to the base.

Users who are viewing this thread