5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Interior Dust

usedup

Reaction score
This is my first Dodge/RAM pickup and not happy with the amount of dust getting inside the cab. It's a '19 Limited CC 4X4. Doesn't seem to make any difference whether the AC is pulling in outside air or in Recirculate mode. Any one else with this problem or a solution to it? After just a few miles on a dirt road you can smell the dust and in 10 or so there is a dusting on the seats and dash. Not a lot of faith in the Clown College/Dealership to fix this problem as it took them 3 tries to fix the AC, which didn't work from day one. I'm 68 and have owned more than a few pickups and drove a bunch of company pickups when I was in the Oil Patch. Hope someone out there has an answer.

DennisY

Reaction score
This is my first Dodge/RAM pickup and not happy with the amount of dust getting inside the cab. It's a '19 Limited CC 4X4. Doesn't seem to make any difference whether the AC is pulling in outside air or in Recirculate mode. Any one else with this problem or a solution to it? After just a few miles on a dirt road you can smell the dust and in 10 or so there is a dusting on the seats and dash. Not a lot of faith in the Clown College/Dealership to fix this problem as it took them 3 tries to fix the AC, which didn't work from day one. I'm 68 and have owned more than a few pickups and drove a bunch of company pickups when I was in the Oil Patch. Hope someone out there has an answer.

Sorry, no issues here but I have only driven on a dirt road twice, and that was for a very short distance. Me personally, I avoid dirt roads at all costs in mine. I'm not sure if our '19 Limiteds have a cab filter but if they do, perhaps yours is not seated correctly or something like that.

To test your recirculate mode (perhaps that mode has a problem), you could try creating something smelly in front of the truck and see if you smell it inside. Smokey BBQ in front of the truck while in the drive-way or something like that?

Or... try driving down that road with A/C completely off and of course all windows up and moon roof closed. Do you get the same smell/dust?

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Have you checked to see if you have a cabin filter installed? Perhaps the factory forgot to put one in. I think there are instructions in the Owners Manual you can follow on changing the filter, so take a look. Worth a try, maybe?

ldoh

Reaction score
I hope to evaluate ours in a week as we plan to do a little off road camping.

StrayDog

Reaction score
I have the same problem with my 2020 ram. I had a 2014 before and no issues driving the same places. Apparently the problem is the vents behind the rear seat.
After driving on gravel roads the rear seat is extremely dusty. I haven't got the time yet to pull the seats out and come up with a repair. RAM should do something about it..

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the same problem with my 2020 ram. I had a 2014 before and no issues driving the same places. Apparently the problem is the vents behind the rear seat.
After driving on gravel roads the rear seat is extremely dusty. I haven't got the time yet to pull the seats out and come up with a repair. RAM should do something about it..

On one of the audio threads, iirc, a member here built a box that is insulated and has a filtered opening for the flaps on the back of the cab. This was done to prevent the flaps from making a drum sound at low speed as, but still allow the cab pressure to vent and not pop your ears each time the doors are closed.

Darc

Reaction score
I'm on the thread as I was doing a search on the same issue with my 2020 3500 Ram. I do a lot of travel for work on gravel roads and I've been experiencing the same overly dusty interior as well. I hear what your saying about actually smelling the dust and the build up in the cab is actually quite extreme (only a few km on a silty clay base gravel road and the dust is evident on all the plastic from the front of the cab to the back). I've tried playing around with the recirculation option and such as well. I've micro-fibered down my interior and vacuuming...hit the road again and the entire interior is coated with this super fine dust in no time. I think this is ridiculous for a brand new truck. Owned lots of different trucks and various makes, including a few other Dodges, through the years and put on lots of km, never had an issue like this before.

If anyone from Dodge is out there reading this can you provide assistance?

Thank you.

RonW

Reaction score
Been dealing with the same issue for a few years now with my 2020 Limited. Unless there has been a change to the newer models I would not recommend this truck if you live on gravel and like a clean interior. Nothing you do with the HVAC stops the ingress and you will go through cabin air filters at an increased rate.

Bobbybob

Reaction score
Funny...same thing here too, but guess I just accepted it. A lot of dirt roads/trail driving and have just said it is what it is because of that. I can see where, if you are not driving on these types of roads, it can get super annoying to try and keep a clean truck. Sorry you are dealing with that.

meyer8043

Reaction score
I had the filters replaced behind the seats under warranty. I could barely breathe after 100 miles of traveling gravel. Brand new truck and it was covered in dust on the inside. The technician said it was like a sheet of paper in it originally. Now there's an actual filter material. Seemed to do the trick

Users who are viewing this thread