5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Catback Exhaust vs. Muffler Delete

MEGARMS

Reaction score
Would like to make my 2023 Laramie 5.7 sound better. Was considering a complete Catback exhaust system, however, am not opposed to saving some money and just doing a muffler delete.

I know very little about this and was hoping to get some insight from the experts here. What are the Pro's / Cons of each?

Thank you

Redz72

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I originally had purchased a Magnaflow Dod14 exhaust for MY22. Had Dod18 on MY15 4th Gen and loved it. Sounded deep and throaty. But at the suggestion of a very reputable exhaust shop, I decided to go the muffler delete route. It was stated that our 5th gen’s have bigger resonators and a muffler swap doesn’t sound as good as they used to. I am not disappointed one bit. Only cost me $120 and that includes tipping the mechanic because he was awesome. And quality stainless was used and custom bent. Cold start sounds great and mellows to not have the neighbors want to murder me. But when you get on the skinny pedal, heads turn and smiles flash. I would do it again for sure.

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
i opted for muffler delete carven r series and soon getting res. delete

great growl, low v8 rumble at idle and very very little drone hwy speeds.

MEGARMS

Reaction score
I originally had purchased a Magnaflow Dod14 exhaust for MY22. Had Dod18 on MY15 4th Gen and loved it. Sounded deep and throaty. But at the suggestion of a very reputable exhaust shop, I decided to go the muffler delete route. It was stated that our 5th gen’s have bigger resonators and a muffler swap doesn’t sound as good as they used to. I am not disappointed one bit. Only cost me $120 and that includes tipping the mechanic because he was awesome. And quality stainless was used and custom bent. Cold start sounds great and mellows to not have the neighbors want to murder me. But when you get on the skinny pedal, heads turn and smiles flash. I would do it again for sure

Thank you

Any droning at speed?

Redz72

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thank you

Any droning at speed?
Ehhh not droning per se. When on the highway or cruising speed, I do not get the annoying done/hum. But I can notice when MDS kicks in occasionally. I usually lock it out with the Gear Limit switch on the steering wheel. Conversation with the person next to me isn’t interrupted at all @70mph on the interstate.

MEGARMS

Reaction score
Ehhh not droning per se. When on the highway or cruising speed, I do not get the annoying done/hum. But I can notice when MDS kicks in occasionally. I usually lock it out with the Gear Limit switch on the steering wheel. Conversation with the person next to me isn’t interrupted at all @70mph on the interstate.
MDS? / Gear Limit Switch?

Told ya, I am new at this.

Redz72

Ram Guru
Reaction score
MDS? / Gear Limit Switch?

Told ya, I am new at this.
No worries. You’re in the right place. MDS is Multicylinder Displacement System, or cylinder deactivation. 4 cylinders are deactivated and the engine only runs on the other 4 to save fuel. The green ECO light appears on your dash when it happens. You can manually stop the MDS from kicking in my pressing the Gear Limit- button, then Gear Limit+ to set it to 8th gear.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You may not see the ECO light on your cluster. It's a setting you can turn on or off in the settings. It was set to off when I purchased my truck. Not sure if that's the factory default setting or if the dealer turned it off.

Charon

Reaction score
You may not see the ECO light on your cluster. It's a setting you can turn on or off in the settings. It was set to off when I purchased my truck. Not sure if that's the factory default setting or if the dealer turned it off.
I did not know there was a light! I've never seen it so I'll have to look. Thank you.

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm a fan of a different type muffler ( magnaflow mentioned ) over a delete. Majority I have heard are obnoxious with a delete. I went full Carven, but also got it for $500 new in box.

MarvsAMartian

Reaction score
I'll chime in as someone that's had both.

Did a muffler delete in my 2020, opted to keep the resonators hoping that would help with droning. I personally still noticed it, but it wasn't unbearable, just more obvious at certain speeds. When MDS kicked in however, it became really annoying. I plugged the weep holes in the resonators with JB weld putty because it made a God awful spitting/paper bag sound.

On my 2022 I went with a Borla cat-back and there's absolutely zero drone. Love the set up and got what I paid for. Pricey sure, but I'd do it again if I ever found myself in a new truck.

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'll chime in as someone that's had both.

Did a muffler delete in my 2020, opted to keep the resonators hoping that would help with droning. I personally still noticed it, but it wasn't unbearable, just more obvious at certain speeds. When MDS kicked in however, it became really annoying. I plugged the weep holes in the resonators with JB weld putty because it made a God awful spitting/paper bag sound.

On my 2022 I went with a Borla cat-back and there's absolutely zero drone. Love the set up and got what I paid for. Pricey sure, but I'd do it again if I ever found myself in a new truck.
I’ve heard people say once they deleted resonators w/ a after market weld on or clamp on style it got rid of drone.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The issue is everyone's idea of drone or no-drone can be completely different. Same with what's loud or not loud. Even YouTube videos don't always convey what it's like to live with those exhaust mods.

Often, it's going to be trial and error, make the best initial decision and adjust if you have to. Maybe try the delete with resonator, then remove resonator, then add muffler. In the end, you may have wished you went with a full cat-back in the first place, ending up paying the same money in parts and labor. Which is what I did with one of my cars. It was 3 to 4 times back at the muffler shop before I got what I wanted when I could have just bit the bullet and cried once with the cat-back system.

On my RAM, I got lucky, welded on a Flowmaster Outlaw for $275 for parts and labor and couldn't be happier. Sounds like a 60s Muscle car, no drone at constant speed, though a bit of drone with MDS, but that's expected with a muffler only change. But again, this is based on my own opinion which is hard to quantify to others not first hand experience it.

Users who are viewing this thread