5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crooked steering wheel

Deetee

Reaction score
Had an alignment done a week ago. The steering wheel looked off so I took it back to get aligned again. Now it looks even more off. The ram logo looks like it’s leaning towards 1 o’clock. Maybe try a different shop? It’s driving me nuts.

Attachments

• A99F6E6E-30BF-401C-9CE0-014F91C1CC2D.jpeg
    A99F6E6E-30BF-401C-9CE0-014F91C1CC2D.jpeg
    100.3 KB · Views: 56

Ratchet

Reaction score
Either they didn't set it correctly, or they failed to zero the steering angle sensor (yaw rate sensor).

Dr. Jim

Ram Guru
Reaction score
With your CROOKED steering wheel, did you receive a target letter indicating an indictment is forthcoming? :D

tfitz44

Reaction score
Had an alignment done a week ago. The steering wheel looked off so I took it back to get aligned again. Now it looks even more off. The ram logo looks like it’s leaning towards 1 o’clock. Maybe try a different shop? It’s driving me nuts.
Mine has been doing the same thing on my 2021 Rebel. But RAM says it’s fine. But the last 6 months, when I have even half the bed filled with firewood, it’s over past the 1 o’clock position. Some say I’m over loaded or riding on the bump stops, both of which is not the case. Now I know this is not normal. I’ve never had a truck do this with a load in the back.

Attachments

• IMG_0639.jpeg
    IMG_0639.jpeg
    148.7 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0642.jpeg
    IMG_0642.jpeg
    182.1 KB · Views: 40

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Take it to a alignment shop that knows what they are doing, sometimes it takes a couple of test drivers to get it perfectly straight.

tfitz44

Reaction score
Take it to an alignment shop that knows what they are doing, sometimes it takes a couple of test drivers to get it perfectly straight.
Probably going to do that. The service manager at my dealership said that it's perfectly normal. But he looks baffled when I said that it never used to do this when hauling or towing anything. Not to mention, I've never had a truck do this when hauling something.

Ready Go

Reaction score
Find an alignment shop that will do a better job of centering the wheel during alignment, but also, have them check that all your steering components are within spec.
Not sure if this would help at all or not, but maybe??....

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231125_123727.jpg
    Screenshot_20231125_123727.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 44

Kiwiaudio

Reaction score
I see this was a while ago, but Not knowing the age of your truck, or why you had an alignment done in the first place, we are left to take stabs in the dark.
Did you get new tires and therefore get an alignment?
Are your old tires showing abnormal wear and therefore you got an alignment?
If the post alignment steering wheel is off center going down the road, it could be because of the worn old tires pulling it one way !
Need more info !
Filling out your signature with vehicle info helps us help you !

Snekpete

Reaction score
Mine has been doing the same thing on my 2021 Rebel. But RAM says it’s fine. But the last 6 months, when I have even half the bed filled with firewood, it’s over past the 1 o’clock position. Some say I’m over loaded or riding on the bump stops, both of which is not the case. Now I know this is not normal. I’ve never had a truck do this with a load in the back.
That looks quite normal to me. The slight amount of right input is to counter the left slope of the road. My truck will require a slight right or left input going straight depending upon road crown. On some roads it is more pronounced than others. Ninety percent of the time the steering wheel is centered.

tfitz44

Reaction score
That looks quite normal to me. The slight amount of right input is to counter the left slope of the road. My truck will require a slight right or left input going straight depending upon road crown. On some roads it is more pronounced than others. Ninety percent of the time the steering wheel is centered.
i know it‘s hard to tell from the photos, but the road was flat, very minimal slope or crown. Secondly, it has never done this before. since I got the truck new in 2021, I’ve hauled a good bit of firewood with no issues with the steering wheel being off centered. Also for the past year and an half, and even after the dealership did an alignment per RAM TSB #02-001-21 REV. A, to correct my steering the dealership keeps telling me that it’s normal to have the steering like that. Which is ********. I’ve never had this problem before with any other truck that I’ve owned. And the picture I’m attaching, with the bed full of firewood, the steering wheel stayed straight as an arrow while driving, had zero problems. And that was a little over a year and a half ago. So I’ve made an appt with an off-road shop after explaining the problem and showing them photos. I’m done with the dealership.

Attachments

• IMG_0687.jpeg
    IMG_0687.jpeg
    248.5 KB · Views: 12

Av1

Reaction score
I fix my own when shops can’t get them straight.

It’s easy to do in your garage if are a little mechanically inclined.

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I recently had my truck aligned after having the front end leveled. When I left the shop, my steering wheel was off center just like the pic from the OP. I brought it right back and they fixed it in like 10 mins. It is not normal.

Last edited:

Branko

Reaction score
I fix my own when shops can’t get them straight.

It’s easy to do in your garage if are a little mechanically inclined.
How ??? i would like to fix mine its little bit to right side THX

Av1

Reaction score
How ??? i would like to fix mine its little bit to right side THX

My Laramie was only off a little bit too. On this truck, I shortened one tie rod and lengthened the other equally until it was correct.

It took a few minor adjustments and test drives to get it perfect.

If you just had it aligned and it's crooked, it's much easier to take it back to the shop to align the wheel correctly.

Branko

Reaction score
My Laramie was only off a little bit too. On this truck, I shortened one tie rod and lengthened the other equally until it was correct.

It took a few minor adjustments and test drives to get it perfect.

If you just had it aligned and it's crooked, it's much easier to take it back to the shop to align the wheel correctly.
Thx for answer.
I just get truck 2 week ago and notice this off steering wheel anomaly :)

Dr. Jim

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Branko, as Av1 said, the key word is "equally." Count the number of turns so they are the same on each side, in to shorten and out to lengthen. That will keep your alignment specifications the same.

peroxide

Reaction score
Branko, as Av1 said, the key word is "equally." Count the number of turns so they are the same on each side, in to shorten and out to lengthen. That will keep your alignment specifications the same.

Need to do this on my truck as well. Centered steering wheel makes my car go right. I need to move both wheels equally to left. I'm thinking half a turn at a time.

Can anyone tell me which direction to turn the tie rod ends for the passenger and the driver's side? Would be using the wheel as a reference. Clockwise or counter clockwise for each.

I've searched all over and I can't figure this out.

Gren71

Reaction score
Need to do this on my truck as well. Centered steering wheel makes my car go right. I need to move both wheels equally to left. I'm thinking half a turn at a time.

Can anyone tell me which direction to turn the tie rod ends for the passenger and the driver's side? Would be using the wheel as a reference. Clockwise or counter clockwise for each.

I've searched all over and I can't figure this out.

Did you ever figure this out? Similar to other people I just got home from an alignment and the steering wheel is slightly off-center. Coming from the jeep world I figured I could just crawl under with a wrench and adjust it myself… Needless to say, I was immediately humbled by my lack of understanding about, all of the new technology in this.

For example… What in the world is active air dampening…

I will probably take it back to the shop and get them to make the slight adjustment, but I’m genuinely curious how I could do this myselfIf

Users who are viewing this thread