5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 ecodiesel low oil pressure warning

fla10000

Reaction score
I changed my oil and the next day when I started it, all was good. Two starts later the low oil pressure light came on. The pressure showed 5. Checked the oil level , checked for leaks, checked for loose oil cap. Proper oil level, no leaks, and tight cap. Then I discovered that this is an intermittent problem occurring at startup idle only, triggering the low pressure warning. So when it occurs on startup, I tap the accelerator pedal ( 1000 rpm max) and the pressure goes from 5 to 35 eliminating the low pressure warning (it has always been at 35 for this truck) when the engine is already at operating temperatures. I am thinking this is a software problem. The truck has 59000 miles on it. I have changed my oil every 6000 or so with T6 and a quart of Lucas Synthetic oil stabilizer and a new Chrysler $100 plus oil filter.

Anyone ever experienced this issue or have any comments?

bboybeaner

Reaction score
I have a 2022 and I think they put out a recall for the oil pump. Not sure if your year is affected by that recall as well. I wish I had a more technical input but first time ram / diesel owner so good luck!

fla10000

Reaction score
I have a 2022 and I think they put out a recall for the oil pump. Not sure if your year is affected by that recall as well. I wish I had a more technical input but first time ram / diesel owner so good luck!
The recall was for the fuel pump which I am still waiting for the part to be available. I am not aware of any oil pump recall but I will check. Thanks.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ve seen before that removing and replacing the oil filter has fixed this for someone. Would try that and check out the o-rings on the filter before reinstalling it.

T6 isn’t the approved oil for the gen 3 ecodiesel, but that shouldn’t be the issue. And an oil additive isn’t necessary with the quality of oil nowadays either. Neither should cause this issue, but may affect warranty coverage if you ever have engine issues.

I typically idle at 19-20 psi on a warm engine, higher when cold.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When that happened to me the oil filter was not seated properly.
Reseated the filter and all was well again.

Malodave

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/