5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4WD Not Engaging

bigwidge

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn V8. Bought new back in 2019, and stupidly enough never tested to make sure the 4WD works before buying. It wasn't until 2023 (we had a spell of snow-less winters where I live) when I tried it and realized that it wouldn't actually lock in. I stop the truck, put it in neutral, then try to engage 4WD (any - high, low, auto) and all it does is blink a yellow light over whichever 4WD mode I selected. Never goes solid to show it engaged.

Has anyone else experienced this, and if so, what was your fix?

Ros

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Had the same issue with mine - front actuator replaced under warranty. I hadn't used anything but 2 wheel drive for over a year and when I wanted to use it during a light snow, no dice. Now I throw it into 4 Auto every now and then.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
If it's the front actuator, very good chance it's because of messy oil changes. The filter is right above the actuator harness and because the filter is so hard to remove without spilling oil, it can drip down the harness and into the connector. It appears to happen to a fair number of people.

silver billet

Reaction score
Try pressing the button into 4HI when you're rolling in Drive. If you're stopped, the gears may not move.

This isn't the case with the Auto mode. It's a clutch system, you can engage it any speed including when stopped and it should always enter Auto.

Richard320

Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
This isn't the case with the Auto mode. It's a clutch system, you can engage it any speed including when stopped and it should always enter Auto.
I've got the auto system and I always see a delay between when I push the button and when it stays lit. And the front actuator also has to move, not just the TC clutches. It costs him nothing to try my method.

Users who are viewing this thread