5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need more towing capacity.

homedad

Reaction score
I have a 2019 1500 Laramie and still love it. The problem is that my wife is tired of our smallish RV and dragged me to the RV show. She keeps leaning toward 6500 pound trailers and ours is at the very limit already even with an equalizing hitch. I decided that instead of trying to find an identical 2019 Laramie with a 3.92 Axle ratio I would consider moving up to a 2019 2500 Laramie. I found one but the neighbor (huge truck guy but mostly ford) said that the 6.4 L is a dog as far as acceleration. I'm not a lead foot but what I was concerned about is this lifter thing I keep hearing about. Anyone who has any experience with the 6.4...how is the power? Is this lifter issue overblown or inevitable? I only have 44K miles but I'm wondering if I'm headed for trouble and maybe move to something else entirely.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have a 2019 1500 Laramie and still love it. The problem is that my wife is tired of our smallish RV and dragged me to the RV show. She keeps leaning toward 6500 pound trailers and ours is at the very limit already even with an equalizing hitch. I decided that instead of trying to find an identical 2019 Laramie with a 3.92 Axle ratio I would consider moving up to a 2019 2500 Laramie. I found one but the neighbor (huge truck guy but mostly ford) said that the 6.4 L is a dog as far as acceleration. I'm not a lead foot but what I was concerned about is this lifter thing I keep hearing about. Anyone who has any experience with the 6.4...how is the power? Is this lifter issue overblown or inevitable? I only have 44K miles but I'm wondering if I'm headed for trouble and maybe move to something else entirely.
You might have better luck in the Homepage - HD Rams forum.

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I agree with vincentw56, however I w ill say my buddy tows a roughly 26', 6500lb camper with no issue with his 6.4L. I've driven the truck. It's no slouch. I wouldn't have any issue with it.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I believe the 6.4 just has more displacement, but same valve train design, so SSDD as far as lifter problems. As far as being a dog for acceleration, the 2500's and 3500's are heavy duty trucks, so tuned for truck stuff. 🤷‍♂️

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Might be a dog compared to a cummins but that also comes at a cost along with other diesel related potential problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The 6.4 is fine for what you are anticipating. It doesn’t pull like a diesel, but you can always add a tune If you find it insufficient. Not sure what lifter concern you are referring to, but it seems all the big three have random engine issues, probably about the same percentage amongst them.

Kudos to you for admitting the need to step up in truck size, rather than overloading your half-ton. Good luck in your search.

Users who are viewing this thread