5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Battery replacement steps

boldram

Reaction score
Considering that RAM these days is loaded with artificial intelligence should i expect errors when disconnecting battery to install a new one? is process as simple as pulling one out and dropping one in?
Also, it is common for an genuine factory installed battery to fail after 4 years ?

Thank you all

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The new batteries have been failing on trucks less than a month old, so getting 4 years is a good term. I replaced mine at 3 years, just because I didn't want the issues that others experience when the battery fails. I disconnected mine and installed the new one without any programming or issues at all. Some have stated that it may take time for all systems to recalibrate, but I didn't have that issue. I also upgraded to the H8 AGM.

I also sold my old battery on FB Marketplace for $120, so that offset my new battery purchase price. I had an old golf cart battery laying around that I used as a core, so no lost value there.

Ickabod

Reaction score
I replaced mine after 5.5 years of service. Just pulled the old one out, removed the plastic piece so I can put in the new H8 AGM battery and hooked back up the wires. No problems.
To say these trucks have AI is a bit of a stretch. Computers and software yes, but they are not "intelligent".

Last edited:

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Usually no issues, but plan on taking overnight at most I've seen. I'll be upgrading as well to H8 when mine is ready. My 19 was replaced in 22.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Has anyone tried using a jump start battery pack plugged into the cigarette lighter socket via the 12v out supply to keep the truck powered during battery swaps?

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No, for me I wouldn't even bother, just swap and go. Wouldn't be worth the hassle.

azzx

Reaction score
I am sure my question has been answered over the years.
My oe battery died almost 3 years ago. I jump-started it. drove to the dealer for replacement.
The truck would not shift past 2nd gear, it was a painful 10 miles to get to the dealer.

Now I am paranoid (I trailer my SXS to middle of nowhere in UT) -- So if my battery kicks the bucket again and I jump start it, will I be stuck in the 2nd gear?
is there a process post jump starting a dead battery?

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Seems different vehicles do different things. Some have issues, while others don't. It's a crap shoot!

Idahoktm

Reaction score
No, for me I wouldn't even bother, just swap and go. Wouldn't be worth the hassle.

It's really not a hassle plugging a battery pack into the lighter socket, but it might prevent certain errors that can happen when the battery is disconnected. Mostly with the active suspension system on the TRX, maybe others. Just checking this forum, due to the larger volume of members.

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's really not a hassle plugging a battery pack into the lighter socket, but it might prevent certain errors that can happen when the battery is disconnected. Mostly with the active suspension system on the TRX, maybe others. Just checking this forum, due to the larger volume of members.
I'd have to buy one first Ha! Have you heard of TRX having suspension issues with a battery replacement? My Laramie took overnight after they removed manifold to fix them and unhooked battery. No major issues while driving back 2 hours.

azzx

Reaction score
"It's really not a hassle plugging a battery pack into the lighter socket, but it might prevent certain errors that can happen when the battery is disconnected."

Post jump start?

Idahoktm

Reaction score
I'd have to buy one first Ha! Have you heard of TRX having suspension issues with a battery replacement? My Laramie took overnight after they removed manifold to fix them and unhooked battery. No major issues while driving back 2 hours.

Yes. Quite a few have reported that after a battery swap, they get the "Service Active Dampening System" message and it has to be reset/calibrated by the dealer. There is a rumor that the reset/calibration can be accomplished with AlfaOBD, but I'm not sure if it's possible. Maybe @Jimmy07 knows.

"It's really not a hassle plugging a battery pack into the lighter socket, but it might prevent certain errors that can happen when the battery is disconnected."

Post jump start?

This doesn't involve a jump start. Just keeping the truck powered during a battery swap.

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes. Quite a few have reported that after a battery swap, they get the "Service Active Dampening System" message and it has to be reset/calibrated by the dealer. There is a rumor that the reset/calibration can be accomplished with AlfaOBD, but I'm not sure if it's possible. Maybe @Jimmy07 knows.
With that being the case it would be worth looking into for sure. They make a device that's supposed to do the same thing, but forget what they call it.

FLiPMaRC

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Has anyone tried using a jump start battery pack plugged into the cigarette lighter socket via the 12v out supply to keep the truck powered during battery swaps?

Yeah don't do that unless you want to screw up your new battery.
The IBS only resets when it loses power, if you have it keep power then it will think the new battery is the same as the old and overcharge it, etc.

If you have problems from replacing your battery it has NOTHING to do with what you did and it's because you have been running with a battery producing poor voltage for too long.

Edit for more info: Perform an IBS reset by removing the IBS from the battery cable end (negative terminal). Disconnect the IBS harness connector for 30 seconds after an auxiliary battery is charged or replaced on a dual 12 volt battery system. This will allow the IBS to default to an 80% State Of Charge (SOC) and initiate the quick learning curve.
This is for a dual battery truck where replacing 1 battery would not take the system down, so you COULD use a tender to keep it alive but like, you're making more work for yourself (assuming the 2 battery systems are the same as the 1)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread