5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Blind side mirror light issues

kpc01

Reaction score
I removed my rear bumper to have it painted recently and after the install my passenger side mirror has the blind side light lit up the whole time and I get the notification that blindside is not available. I have checked on my connections from the bumper and they're all good. Also unplugged the battery. Is this a code that has to be reset via alpha OBD or dealer or is there something I caused to make this happen? I have exhausted every idea I have so looking for other options.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I removed my rear bumper to have it painted recently and after the install my passenger side mirror has the blind side light lit up the whole time and I get the notification that blindside is not available. I have checked on my connections from the bumper and they're all good. Also unplugged the battery. Is this a code that has to be reset via alpha OBD or dealer or is there something I caused to make this happen? I have exhausted every idea I have so looking for other options.
Is it throwing any codes?
edit: Diagnostic trouble codes.

Last edited:

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Might be just a coincidence that it happened at same time you took bumper off but the module is part of the tail light so trace back the harness from tail light and see perhaps if the harness got cut or pinched when bumper was removed/installed. If all else fails remove negetive battery cable for few minutes and reconnect and see if that fixes it.

Sent from my SM-S918U1 using Tapatalk

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I would triple check the connectors.
Could be a pin that is not correctly seated and maybe got pushed back in the shell.

I`ll add this just for the grins.

DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING - BLIND SPOT MONITOR SYSTEM

WARNING:

To avoid serious or fatal injury on vehicles equipped with airbags, disable the Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) before attempting any steering wheel, steering column, airbags, airbag curtains, knee blocker, seat belt tensioner, impact sensor or instrument panel component diagnosis or service. Disconnect the Intelligent Battery Sensor (IBS)/negative battery cable assembly from the negative battery post, then wait two minutes for the system capacitor to discharge before performing further diagnosis or service. This is the only sure way to disable the SRS. Failure to take the proper precautions could result in accidental airbag deployment.

The following textual messages related to the Blind Spot Monitor (BSM) system may appear within the Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC):

BLIND SPOT SYSTEM OFF - This message to the vehicle operator when the ignition first transitions to the ON status indicates that the BSM system has been turned off using the Setup Menu of the Radio.

SERVICE BLIND SPOT SYSTEM - This message to the vehicle operator while the ignition status is ON indicates that the BSM system is unavailable due to a monitored system fault or faults.

BLIND SPOT SYSTEM TEMPORARILY UNAVAILABLE - This message to the vehicle operator while the ignition status is ON indicates that the BSM system is temporarily unavailable as a result of one of the following:

Sensor Blockage - The amber BSM visual icon in both outside rear view mirrors will be illuminated as long as blockage exists or until the ignition status transitions to OFF, whichever occurs first.

Monitored System Fault - The BSM system has detected a monitored system fault condition and has stored a Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC). The amber BSM visual icon will be illuminated in both outside rear view mirrors for as long as the condition exists or until the ignition status transitions to OFF, whichever occurs first.

NOTE:

If the BLIND SPOT SYSTEM TEMPORARILY UNAVAILABLE message is received for a minimum of 5 minutes, please verify that sensor enclosures on the sides of the tail lamps where the radar sensors are located is not blocked by snow, ice or road debris. If the area is blocked, remove the blockage and cycle the ignition.

NOTE:

If the vehicle has experienced any trauma in the sensor enclosures on the sides of the tail lamps where the sensors are located, even if the fascia is not damaged, the radar sensor may have become misaligned. A misaligned radar sensor will result in the BSM system not operating properly.

To calibrate the Blind Spot Sensor:

Drive the vehicle over 13 mph (20 kp/h) on a straight path for longer than one minute.

Once this criteria is met, both mirror Light Emitting Diodes (LEDs) will go from active to off and the DTC will store. The DTC can now be cleared.

Users who are viewing this thread