5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HDRam forum website down

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Use a browser that isn't trying to take over the world with ridiculous encryption standards and it's reachable.

Is the cert issue an ongoing problem? Yes it is. Nothing I can do about it except keep asking @Jared B to fire the admin.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Got nothing to do with the browser.
its not opening for me on Firefox.
The cert is expired again.

You can use obscure browsers to bypass problems, but it's still a problem of just letting the cert expire.

View attachment 175338

k-meleon which lets you bypass like anything, and get yourself into troble if you don't know what you're doing
View attachment 175339

MXtoolbox does a live check, not that I would have the HDrams site cache as I don't go there.
View attachment 175340

Splitting hairs. It has everything to do with the browser because a modern browser wont' accept the expired cert. and they took away the user ability to override anything.

Yes, we all know it's a cert expiration issue.

Works fine with a portable edition of 45ESR. I have to work on old sh*t so I keep these around for crap like this. True the average user is just gonna get thwacked if they don't stay with something current.

1706164902634.png

jsalbre

Reaction score
Odd, I don’t get a cert error, I get this error on any browser or device I use.

IMG_3257.png

Limited f3arl3ss

Reaction score
Did Tapatalk for the site quit working a few days ago too? Or is that just a me issue?

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Did Tapatalk for the site quit working a few days ago too? Or is that just a me issue?

Tapatalk is going sideways on a lot of sites, I wouldn't expect it to work again, ever.

The new owners are trying to extort higher subscription fees from sites and it's not going well for them.

Limited f3arl3ss

Reaction score
Honestly, I don't see forums used as much as they were 10-15 years ago. I don't know why they think people would pay higher costs.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Tapatalk is going sideways on a lot of sites, I wouldn't expect it to work again, ever.

The new owners are trying to extort higher subscription fees from sites and it's not going well for them.
Tapatalk has always sucked. I tried using it in the past and hated the layout and how it displayed threads. But then again, I've been using forums long before Tapatalk, so maybe for the newer people who have only used Tapatalk it's not bad.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I hate to call them out, but I have no idea what the admin is doing. The site appears to be certified by "Lets Encrypt", there is no reason to ever have an expired certificate because "certbot" will automatically run and renew weeks before an expiry. The servers I admin all work that way. There is always 2 sides to every story and maybe there is something unique here on that forum but it's not looking good on the admin that the forum is always down for an expired certificate, this process should be automated.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I hate to call them out, but I have no idea what the admin is doing. The site appears to be certified by "Lets Encrypt", there is no reason to ever have an expired certificate because "certbot" will automatically run and renew weeks before an expiry. The servers I admin all work that way. There is always 2 sides to every story and maybe there is something unique here on that forum but it's not looking good on the admin that the forum is always down for an expired certificate, this process should be automated.
I agree. It's a common theme over there, and shouldn't be

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

They are using certbot. Same renewal script for 5thgenrams, hdrams, moparinsiders. The server instance isn't updating the cert its serving for reasons they haven't yet figured out and server admin is MIA.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
and server admin is MIA.

This is the real problem. certbot sends automated emails to the administrator account weeks before a cert expires, even if it's not updating automatically the email (from "letsencrypt.org", not the forum server) should be alerting the admin that something is wrong. This appears to be just negligence on the admins part.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread