5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Won't start after filling up

RHut

Reaction score
So I had a check engine light come on. Took it to O'Reilly's and got a P0433 code. Listed two parts that might be the problem. Bought the parts and replaced them (from O'Reilly).
Light stayed off for nearly a month. Engine light came back on and now I have a new problem. Whenever I fill the tank to full I have a hard time starting the engine. It sounds like it's not getting any gas (or kind of like getting too much gas on those older cars when you could "flood" the carberator. After about 5 or 6 tries it will start, sputtering a bit at first and then smooth out.

I am assuming this is related to the engine light code.

Occasionally, the gauge will show no gas when I know there is at least a half a tank.

Looking for some advice!

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Are you fueling up past the 1st click off of the pump?

Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) P0443 indicates a failure in the EVAP canister purge valve circuit.

Possible causes:

-- VPWR circuit open.

-- EVAP canister purge valve circuit open.

-- EVAP canister purge valve circuit shorted to PWR GND.

-- EVAP canister purge valve circuit shorted to VPWR.

-- Damaged EVAP canister purge valve.

-- Damaged PCM.

RHut

Reaction score
So I had a check engine light come on. Took it to O'Reilly's and got a P0433 code. Listed two parts that might be the problem. Bought the parts and replaced them (from O'Reilly).
Light stayed off for nearly a month. Engine light came back on and now I have a new problem. Whenever I fill the tank to full I have a hard time starting the engine. It sounds like it's not getting any gas (or kind of like getting too much gas on those older cars when you could "flood" the carberator. After about 5 or 6 tries it will start, sputtering a bit at first and then smooth out.

I am assuming this is related to the engine light code.

Occasionally, the gauge will show no gas when I know there is at least a half a tank.

Looking for some advice!
I do not go past first click. So would replacing the EVAP canister most likely fix the problem? What's the cost for that?

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Dunno for a RAM but last month on my 2014 Edge 3.5 it was $26 from O'Reillys... install is a <5 minute job, and that counted watching a YT video.

raygun9

Reaction score
Super easy to replace and worth a try but, in my personal experience, its usually a p0456 when its the purge valve

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread