5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Horn not beeping when locking with remote. Beep setting on.

RAMMER80

Reaction score
So when I got the truck I changed the setting in the stereo to beep after 2 clicks of the lock button. 2 days ago I noticed it doesn’t beep at all no matter how many times I push the lock button on the remote.

2023 Ram 1500 Bighorn with 12” screen.

Anyone else experience this? And before anyone asks… Yes I checked to make sure all the doors were closed fully.

Also had a check engine light on after 2800 miles but it shut off after 2 hours and never came back. Unrelated I assume. Frustrated that I had the light on but I guess it happens with these newer cars more often than older ones.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Try a factory reset on the radio.
I have had problems where settings got "stuck" and wouldn't work properly until a factory reset. Not even disconnecting the battery worked for me.
My problem was with the power running boards stow vs auto option (stuck in auto)

O'Town Ram

I know less and less about more and more
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So when I got the truck I changed the setting in the stereo to beep after 2 clicks of the lock button. 2 days ago I noticed it doesn’t beep at all no matter how many times I push the lock button on the remote.

2023 Ram 1500 Bighorn with 12” screen.

Anyone else experience this? And before anyone asks… Yes I checked to make sure all the doors were closed fully.

Also had a check engine light on after 2800 miles but it shut off after 2 hours and never came back. Unrelated I assume. Frustrated that I had the light on but I guess it happens with these newer cars more often than older ones.
Yes mine does this also. Try resetting the horn to beep on the first click. Once you test that ( it should work) you can go back in and reset to 2 clicks for beep. Every time I use my remote start I lose the 2 click beep.
No idea how to fix it permanently.

2021EcoDiesel

Reaction score
Mine is also currently doing this. After resetting the option to beep after one button press then back to two button press the truck will chirp the horn for about a week or so after a double press, then it will not beep at all. Nothing I've attempted has fixed it permanently.

23RAM

Reaction score
I don't get the two click honk anyway. Why press the remote twice as much draining the battery quicker for the same result as one click?

Also I rarely use the remote to lock the truck, I use the door handle button when exiting the truck. The only time I use the remote is if I unlock remotely for some reason, like my wife can grab something out of the truck and then I lock it again with the remote.

What I find funny, are the dolts who hit the remote 3-5 times while walking away as if to let people know they have locked their vehicle 3-5 times. LOOK AT ME, I have a car.
😁 🤣
That's odd - usually the CEL needs to be cleared with an OBD scanner. Next time you're in at the dealer, mention the CEL and have them scan for any codes. You should see if it threw a code so you can have it documented for any further related issues. Who knows, maybe somethin goes after the warranty and you can argue you had the issue since 2800 miles.

Only issue I've had with the truck is I had an intermittent rough stumble at 6k, but only when it was hot. After a while it triggered the CEL. I thought maybe I had some bad gas or something, although I only buy from top tier stations. When I stopped at the dealer, it was a cool morning and it was running fine but the CEL was lit, so they scanned it and found cyl 5 had thrown a misfire code and no spark code from the coil pack. They replaced the coil pack on cyl 5 and it runs smoother than day 1 now. I suspect the coil was bad from day 1 with weak spark as I always had a very slight stumble when sitting at lights but thought it was normal for the engine with all the eco crap on them these days. Now it idles butter smooth at lights.

I'm keeping an eye on mileage to see if my mileage will improve a bit with proper spark on all cylinders.
:unsure:

Last edited:

RAMMER80

Reaction score
I don't get the two click honk anyway. Why press the remote twice as much draining the battery quicker for the same result as one click?

Also I rarely use the remote to lock the truck, I use the door handle button when exiting the truck. The only time I use the remote is if I unlock remotely for some reason, like my wife can grab something out of the truck and then I lock it again with the remote.

What I find funny, are the dolts who hit the remote 3-5 times while walking away as if to let people know they have locked their vehicle 3-5 times. LOOK AT ME, I have a car.
😁 🤣

That's odd - usually the CEL needs to be cleared with an OBD scanner. Next time you're in at the dealer, mention the CEL and have them scan for any codes. You should see if it threw a code so you can have it documented for any further related issues. Who knows, maybe somethin goes after the warranty and you can argue you had the issue since 2800 miles.

Only issue I've had with the truck is I had an intermittent rough stumble at 6k, but only when it was hot. After a while it triggered the CEL. I thought maybe I had some bad gas or something, although I only buy from top tier stations. When I stopped at the dealer, it was a cool morning and it was running fine but the CEL was lit, so they scanned it and found cyl 5 had thrown a misfire code and no spark code from the coil pack. They replaced the coil pack on cyl 5 and it runs smoother than day 1 now. I suspect the coil was bad from day 1 with weak spark as I always had a very slight stumble when sitting at lights but thought it was normal for the engine with all the eco crap on them these days. Now it idles butter smooth at lights.

I'm keeping an eye on mileage to see if my mileage will improve a bit with proper spark on all cylinders.
Unfortunately I don’t have the door handle button on my big horn.

23RAM

Reaction score
Unfortunately I don’t have the door handle button on my big horn.
Ok but why double click the remote? That's twice as much wear on the remote and reduces battery life.

The only reason I can think of, is for late at night where one click locks the truck quietly so you don't disturb your neighbours. But I get around that by simply locking the doors from the driver's door panel when I get out and then closing the door.

RAMMER80

Reaction score
Ok but why double click the remote? That's twice as much wear on the remote and reduces battery life.

The only reason I can think of, is for late at night where one click locks the truck quietly so you don't disturb your neighbours. But I get around that by simply locking the doors from the driver's door panel when I get out and then closing the door.
It’s like you said not to disturb the neighbors and locking from the inside won’t work because I go to my tailgate to get my stuff out.

A 50k truck I can afford to change the batteries or even the remote for that matter. Last truck had 240k+ miles and my remote was perfect.

Was looking for inputs on how to get the function that should work to actually work not suggestions on modifying my truck locking habits. But thank lol.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The settings are set to the "annoy others with unnecessary beeping" but it does not make the annoying sound. What happens when you set it to "don't annoy others with unnecessary noise"? Does it still remain peaceful?

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
😁 🤣

These are the ones that are screaming:

"Hey thieves with scanners, come scan the code I am broadcasting out for you. Here, let me do it a couple more times in case you missed it! I'll be in the store for a bit. Take your time. Have fun with my/your truck!"

I hit the door button when stepping out to avoid this.

O'Town Ram

Site Supporter
Reaction score
I do not think I have manually locked any of my cars from the inside in the past 20 years.
Modern remotes use rolling codes. Very sophisticated.

Heck, I am not real happy with the fact that the rear door handles do not passively unlock. Ridiculous that Ram left this off a 70K truck.

Last edited:

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score

Ram is the only remote I have ever had that set the alarm on one hit. My Ford, Chevy, GMC, and other makes require 2 presses. 1 to lock and 1 to alarm.
Also sometimes it will not register depending on how far you are and what objects it needs to go through so hit it a bunch of times and know your good without wasting time listening for the honk.
Lol@battery life in a remote, really scared about replacing the battery once every 5 years?

sbcncsu

Reaction score
My BigHorn did the same thing. I set it to honk on first push of the lock button and had it set that way for a while. After the latest over the air update, I decided to go back to the honk on second press of the button and it works as intended. I think there was a software glitch that the latest radio update corrected. Best of luck to you.

23RAM

Reaction score
locking from the inside won’t work because I go to my tailgate to get my stuff out.
Doesn't your truck allow you to open the tailgate with the fob in your pocket?
A 50k truck I can afford to change the batteries or even the remote for that matter. Last truck had 240k+ miles and my remote was perfect.
My first vehicle remotes lasted about 100k and needed a $350 replacement as the buttons wore out. I've been more cautious with use since then. I'm not cheap or poor, but I don't like giving extra money to vehicle manufacturers since they make billions off us already. For the price we pay and the massive profits they make, we should get 100% coverage for the life of the vehicle.
Was looking for inputs on how to get the function that should work to actually work not suggestions on modifying my truck locking habits. But thank lol.
Sorry can't help there...it's a software issue I guess.

23RAM

Reaction score
I do not think I have manually locked any of my cars from the inside in the past 20 years.
I keep my fobs in a faraday box, so going inside to get the key to unlock and relock can be time consuming. When I'm parked in my driveway, I'll unlock it with the remote, go outside and do some home upgrades/work around the house, opening and closing the truck several times in the process. When I'm done, I don't want to go inside, take my shoes off, walk into the kitchen, open the box, lock the truck, put the fob back in the box, go put on my shoes, go back outside. All I have to do is hit the door lock switch and close the door.
Heck, I am not real happy with the fact that the rear door handles do not passively unlock. Ridiculous that Ram left this off a 70K truck.
I'm not sure I understand? When I unlock the truck with the driver's door handle or remote, all of my doors unlock.

O'Town Ram

Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not sure I understand? When I unlock the truck with the driver's door handle or remote, all of my doors unlock.
On my last 2 Denalis, you could walk up to any door with the Fob in your pocket and they would unlock. The Ram is just the fronts.

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've posted a how-to on this a year or two ago.
On my '21, I have to turn the honk feature off. Lock and Unlock the truck. (Possibly even do an ignition cycle if you can't get this to work the first time.)
Then set it for honk on first button press.
Lock and unlock.
Then set it for honk on 2nd press.

That being said, I've not had an issue since I updated my radio files, so maybe that glitch was fixed.

6of36

Reaction score
On my last 2 Denalis, you could walk up to any door with the Fob in your pocket and they would unlock. The Ram is just the fronts.
Pretty much every other vehicle, besides Ram, with passive entry, opens from any door. Another thing they should have, is power tilt wheel. Hard to believe even on a $100,000 Ram, it's not available.

disarm

Reaction score
Pretty much every other vehicle, besides Ram, with passive entry, opens from any door. Another thing they should have, is power tilt wheel. Hard to believe even on a $100,000 Ram, it's not available.
Volvo are weird about leaving out power tilt/telescope steering wheel as well. They claim that their manual adjustment assembly is safer than a powered version would be, so they don't include it on any model they sell. Something about the way they design the steering column to collapse on heavy impact.

I find the lack of passive entry on the rear doors annoying too. My previous Audi could unlock from any door as long as I was close enough with the key in my pocket...great when kids are moving faster to get inside than me, or I'm putting something in the Rambox while they're trying to open the rear doors. Maybe i should just teach them to grab the front door handle first, then their own.

Oh well...first world problems.

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score

😁 🤣

I am confused - why would the remote need to be touched twice to lock? Am I skipping a step? I mostly hit the lock on the door as I get out and if I have to gather things out of the truck I will either leave the door open and hit it as I come back by or close it and use the remote but it is only ever ONE click...I should be doing 2??

Users who are viewing this thread