5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Exhaust leak?

Hamco8520

Reaction score
I'm looking to see if anyone has run into this issue before, I have been hearing metal clinging and an exhaust leak-type sound when on start up and driving before the truck has really warmed up. I recently got the oil change done and asked the tech to see if it's the heat shields being loose making the noise and he said it's not the heat shield but an exhaust leak, but he didn't go into detail where the leak was. I looked through the wheel wells to see if it's a crack on the exhaust headers as that is a common problem with them cracking and I didn't see anything. The noise is more towards the middle of the truck, under the drivers/passenger seat location rather than the wheel well. I will include a video with how it sounds on start up and hopefully someone has come across this problem before. The noise does go away once the truck has heated up as I'm assuming it's from the metal expanding due to heat and closing the gap on the leak.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
More than likely the connection before the muffler. They use bolts of incompatible metals, and the rust and break very quickly. Also a common problem.

CPD331

Reaction score
I have changed both bolts on the connection before the muffler at only 33k miles.

6of36

Reaction score
I have changed both bolts on the connection before the muffler at only 33k miles.
I plan on preventive maintenance when the new truck comes. I'm going to pull those bolts, and coat them with antiseize, to see if that stops them from rusting.

Hamco8520

Reaction score
Does anyone have the part number for the gasket and bolts for the leak in the pictures below? It looks to be leaking like crazy. I'm glad it's not the exhaust manifolds. IMG_4385.jpeg IMG_4384.jpeg

6of36

Reaction score
Does anyone have the part number for the gasket and bolts for the leak in the pictures below? It looks to be leaking like crazy. I'm glad it's not the exhaust manifolds. View attachment 164506 View attachment 164507
I wouldn't replace the bolts with the same factory ones. It will happen again. Figure the bolt size and pitch, and go buy good high quality bolts, then add anti-seize.

WolfWarrior

Reaction score
More than likely the connection before the muffler. They use bolts of incompatible metals, and the rust and break very quickly. Also a common problem.
I had this problem. Swapped out stock muffler too at 52,000 miles.

Users who are viewing this thread