5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 5.7 (no etorque) -- 0w-20 vs 5w-30

U

User_3336

Your truck has NEVER seen MDS? Have you disabled it? If not explain to us how you have been able to do it.
you hit the / - / button on the gear limit on the steering wheel when you're up to speed until 8th shows on the display or you can use the / + / button while stopped in drive to go to 8th. The hemi will never go into MDS. This isn't a secret. Its been posted hundreds of times.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
you hit the / - / button on the gear limit on the steering wheel when you're up to speed until 8th shows on the display or you can use the / + / button while stopped in drive to go to 8th. The hemi will never go into MDS. This isn't a secret. Its been posted hundreds of times.
Right, NEVER been in MDS. I still don't believe it.

I'm so glad I get in my truck start it and drive. I don't give a **** if my stop start happens or ECO mode happens. I bought it for what it IS not what I wish it was.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score

I'm so glad I get in my truck start it and drive. I don't give a shut if my stop start happens or ECO mode happens. I bought it for what it IS not what I wish it was.
Why do you care what we do? No need to judge other people who see things differently than you. I don't see the people who don't like MDS or stop/start bagging on those who let the truck do its thing. If I could have bought a Ram 1500 Hemi without MDS I would have. Since I couldn't I disable it. No skin off your nose.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Why do you care what we do? No need to judge other people who see things differently than you. I don't see the people who don't like MDS or stop/start bagging on those who let the truck do its thing. If I could have bought a Ram 1500 Hemi without MDS I would have. Since I couldn't I disable it. No skin off your nose.
K

I would NEVER judge a person.

U

User_3336

I'm so glad I get in my truck start it and drive. I don't give a **** if my stop start happens or ECO mode happens. I bought it for what it IS not what I wish it was.
I could care less if you believe me or not. You asked me to explain it and I did . . However, have you tried it?
To each his own. I don't like stop/start, ECO, or MDS.

U

User_3336

Could not have said it better. I think Cbty2050 is just stirrin' the pot.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
2012 owners manual:
"NOTE: Vehicles equipped with a 5.7L engine must use
SAE 5W-20 oil. Failure to do so may result in improper
operation of the Multi-Displacement System (MDS)."

2014 owners manual:
"NOTE: MOPAR® SAE 5W-30 engine oil approved to
Chrysler Material Standard MS-6395 may be used when
SAE 5W-20 engine oil meeting MS-6395 is not available"

2016 owners manual:
"MOPAR SAE 5W-20 engine oil approved to FCA Material
Standard MS-6395 such as Pennzoil, Shell Helix or
equivalent is recommended for all operating temperatures."

2022 owners manual:
"We recommend using Mopar® SAE 0W-20 Full Synthetic Engine Oil which meets the requirements of the manufacturer Material Standard MS-6395. Equivalent full synthetic SAE 0W-20 engine oil can be used but must have the API Starburst trademark

NOTE: Hemi engines (5.7L) at times can tick right after startup and then quiet down after approximately 30 seconds. This is normal and will not harm the engine. This characteristic can be caused by short drive cycles. For example, if the vehicle is started then shut off after driving a short distance. Upon restarting, you may experience a ticking sound. Other causes could be if the vehicle is unused for an extended period of time, incorrect oil, extended oil changes or extended idling. If the engine continues to tick or if the Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) comes on, see the nearest authorized dealer."

So with the EXACT SAME engine with MDS, we went from "you MUST use 20 weight oil" to "it's OK to use 30 weight" to "we recommend even thinner 0W20 weight" and then finally they admitted that the watery 20 weight oils cause ticking because the viscosity is too thin and the lifters bleed down too fast, plus there is improper lubrication.

So as mentioned in the video above ^^^ you guys can run whatever you want to in your expensive engine. But my engine will NEVER see 0W20 water oil.
Exactly. My 11 5.7 called for 5/20 and was quiet as a church mouse with 80k miles on it. My 21 5.7 owners manual calls for 5/20 and also is quiet as a church mouse. I used and still currently use Napa 5/20 blend with a Napa gold oil filter in both

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
First off, I apologize for yet ANOTHER oil thread... :-(

I know that 2022's specify 0w-20 for the 5.7, so I have 2 questions:
1) Is it OK to go with 5w-30? (it's HOT down here in Houston!!! - I just wonder if 0w-20 is too thin)
2) If I go with 5w-30 (with oem filter) would that void my manuf warranty and my extended warranty?

Those of you with 2022's, are most of y'all using the recommended 0w-20?

Thanks, and again I apologize for the oil Q.
Look up what the oil is rated for. I can guarantee you my engine gets hotter in the north then the sun in Houston.
I use 0w20 Mobile 1 and it's rated up to 500 degrees F. Do you really think your internal engine is getting over 500 degrees?
Just use a good quality syn oil of the proper weight. Synthetics break down at a much higher heat then regular oil, I also don't believe 0w20 regular oil exists.
You COULD use 5w20 vs 0w20, but there isn't really a reason to bother using what isn't recommended.
Your truck has NEVER seen MDS? Have you disabled it? If not explain to us how you have been able to do it.

As of now they have not changed previous years to 0w-20.
Previous years was never 5w30, so it doesn't really matter.

You bought something and have no idea how it works. If that's how you want to spend your money that's on you. If\when it breaks down make sure you sell it for scrap and don't repair it because "that's what it is" and you wouldn't want to change or improve upon it.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You bought something and have no idea how it works. If that's how you want to spend your money that's on you. If\when it breaks down make sure you sell it for scrap and don't repair it because "that's what it is" and you wouldn't want to change or improve upon it.
You saying I have no idea how my truck works?

Previous years was never 5w30, so it doesn't really matter.
He was asking if they updated previous years to 0w-20....

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I am surprised to hear that an engine gets hotter in one region than another. I notice that my truck seems to run the same temperature when it is in the 20s in the winter and the upper 90s in the summer. Strange anyone's is different.

The burning mixture of fuel and air seems to be way hotter than any mere weather related temperature difference. The engine coolant system handles that.

U

User_3336

I am surprised to hear that an engine gets hotter in one region than another. I notice that my truck seems to run the same temperature when it is in the 20s in the winter and the upper 90s in the summer. Strange anyone's is different.

The burning mixture of fuel and air seems to be way hotter than any mere weather related temperature difference. The engine coolant system handles that.
Same here. Engine temps don't run lower because its 20 degrees outside. I've seen mine run from 190 up to 220 in the winter. Now, that said, I have seen the upper limit hit 235 in the summer at stop lights, but if the a/c is on the grille shutters will remain open, and the electric fan is running, so it brings the temps down to like 210.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I am surprised to hear that an engine gets hotter in one region than another.
It is a common thing. But with synthetic oil it just doesn't matter as much anymore because they don't break down at 250 degrees.
Some cars ask for a different weight of oil depending on what the outside temp (generally) is.

The only reason to run a weight different then the recommended temps was if it was common to be -20 degrees, so I guess places like north Canada.
...Or if your car\truck is old and just literally burns the oil, a higher weight can SOMETIMES seem to help.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It is a common thing. But with synthetic oil it just doesn't matter as much anymore because they don't break down at 250 degrees.
Some cars ask for a different weight of oil depending on what the outside temp (generally) is.

The only reason to run a weight different then the recommended temps was if it was common to be -20 degrees, so I guess places like north Canada.
...Or if your car\truck is old and just literally burns the oil, a higher weight can SOMETIMES seem to help.
I don't think North Canada counts as a place. I mean, who would want to go there? Death Valley to Denver, your oil temp isn't making diddly of difference when driving down the road. Anyone can cherry pick an extreme outlier as an example but real world driving it does not matter.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I don't think North Canada counts as a place. I mean, who would want to go there? Death Valley to Denver, your oil temp isn't making diddly of difference when driving down the road. Anyone can cherry pick an extreme outlier as an example but real world driving it does not matter.
Lol, I mean places up north, like Canada. Was referring to us folks who live in the states who hardly see negative degree days very often (if ever depending where).
If your oil is -20 degrees F i'm sure it's not going to flow as good until it can warm up a little, so a thinner weight would likely help there.

Ramguymario

Reaction score
19' limited hemi 5.7 owner here....Dont be startled but I run the same 5w40 euro spec that my AMG uses + a bottle of ceratec (moly additive). MDS works better due to higher pressure (variable oil pump will always ensure proper flow). I have no idea why american vehicle forums are all about lower weight oils, if you've ever spoken to a performance euro mechanic, they will always recommend a higher weight within reason. For example all the educated BMW M guys are running minimum 5w40/50 (factory 5/0w30 reccomendation).

Last edited:

Ramguymario

Reaction score
19' limited hemi 5.7 owner here....Dont be startled but I run the same 5w40 euro spec that my AMG uses + a bottle of ceratec (moly additive). MDS works better due to higher pressure (variable oil pump will always ensure proper flow). I have no idea why american vehicle forums are all about lower weight oils, if you've ever spoken to a performance euro mechanic, they will always recommend a higher weight within reason. For example all the educated BMW M guys are running minimum 5w40/50 (factory 0w20 reccomendation).
BTW im in ontario canada, up north the truck sees -30c in winter. runs audibly better than 5w20.

Users who are viewing this thread