5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AMP Powerstep issue (recent install) - won't deploy after sitting for a few hours

Brunzca

Reaction score
Hi all -

Installed my steps a few weeks ago (self-install). Have worked perfectly since the install, zero issues, up until the last few days. Then Monday, when I was leaving work, they didn't deploy. Everything else hooked up to the battery was fine. Amp's fired up, etc. When I stopped at the store on the way home, 45 minutes later, the steps deployed. No issues since, until yesterday - same issue. Was fine in the morning, but when I was leaving work, didn't deploy. Stopped at the store again, 30-45 minutes later, but didn't deploy this time. I pulled the fuse, replaced it, and then they worked. Got home a few minutes later, and were still working. Went out to check this morning, and not working again. Everything else connected to the battery is still working perfectly- haven't pulled the fuse today.

Frustrating, to say the least... I have sent an email to AMP, to see what they say, but I never got a response last time I emailed them a question about the steps. So, maybe you guys have some insights.

Thanks

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My first couple guesses would be bad ground connection, or you've connected to a circuit that isn't live all the time.

You say battery connected, but mention a fuse, so I am not at all clear on how you wired.

Can you post more specific information, like what model steps you got?
And what electrical connections you made?

Brunzca

Reaction score
My first couple guesses would be bad ground connection, or you've connected to a circuit that isn't live all the time.

You say battery connected, but mention a fuse, so I am not at all clear on how you wired.

Can you post more specific information, like what model steps you got?
And what electrical connections you made?
Model -#AMP76240-01A

The wiring is exactly as per the instruction manual, Here's a link

There is an in-line fuse coming off the battery. The reason I mention that, is because that seems (in my semi-ignorant opinion) to potentially be related to the issue. It happened again this morning, and I pulled out the fuse, put it back in, and then they worked perfectly.

The ground seems fine, it's grounded to the bolt next to the battery, under the hood (this is where the instructions said to ground it). - but this was also my thought.

I mentioned the battery, because I initially thought the battery may be dead, since the steps didnt move at all. However, it's not the battery - because the voltage isn't dropping, and my radio/subwoofer amps are still turning on and running with no issues, truck cranks, etc. The only thing not working is the steps.

ekaz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do you have the OBD plug? Pulling the fuse and replacing is resetting something. It might be the "brain", where is that mounted and are all the connections good?

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It looks like they are detecting door open/close signals from the OBD bus. Removing and replacing the fuse will reboot the step's controller. If remove/replace fuse always restores operation, it suggests that Amp's controller software may be crashing or losing communication with OBD.

Brunzca

Reaction score
Do you have the OBD plug? Pulling the fuse and replacing is resetting something. It might be the "brain", where is that mounted and are all the connections good?

It looks like they are detecting door open/close signals from the OBD bus. Removing and replacing the fuse will reboot the step's controller. If remove/replace fuse always restores operation, it suggests that Amp's controller software may be crashing or losing communication with OBD.
Yes, it works off the OBD plug (not hardwired). The controller is mounted under the hood, near the battery.

So, maybe the controller has already gone bad?

F1502018

Reaction score
Hey,

Did you end up solving this issue? Its happening to me now… last few weeks if I did not start truck for 2 days when I opened door steps would not come down until truck was running for a few minutes. Until yesterday, now they will not come down at all…

Users who are viewing this thread