5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will me and my family be ok? Code 219A

Slutzk

Cooling off
Reaction score
Glad you got home without drama.
That CEL clearing without my intervention would send me in to a spiral of what if`s...
It drove me absolutly crazy. But then it never came back on so then i honestly forgot about it till on the drive home i kept thinking "alright when is is gona pop back up" but pulled in the drive way and never came back on, so questions are there but who knows man, no clue at all.

hogger

Reaction score
Hello everyone, (going to rant about the check light and my appreciation) So i just arrived home back at 5pm from AZ from CA for my sons 2nd birthday as stated on Thursday when i was freaking out.

First i want to thank you guys alot for putting my mind at peace b.c i wont lie, it almost ruined my weekend before even checking into the hotel for a 3-4 day weekend being the truck is so new and i had my family so wanted to make sure it was safe and yall helped with that right away, so again thank you. No matter our differences on this forum and us going back and forth (i know im a ******* sometimes on here and i apologize for it lol) we all still help one another and this thread is a prime example of that, especially someone's family involved (I know thats a bit of a reach but it ment something to me and im sure someone else would think the same had it happened) so we should all be happy for this forum, i know i am and respect it much more. Once again thank you from me and my family for helping my mood for my kids birthday.

Second i want to apologize for not replying to anyone afterwards, as yall could imagine i was busy and enjoying my time the est i could till i started seeing the messages coming through and all 3 days was go go go as we had anlot planned and my family members to meet with so they could see the baby, but i WAS reading all of them, thats why i liked all yalls message to somewhat acknowledge i was reading and got it, but im sorry for not replying. It was also my first time doing all this on my phone for this website (not a fan btw, computer is infinite times better lol, we need a app unless there is and idk about it, show me)

Lastly, the check light. So yall know the code and check light and story coming in. Ill start by saying Thursday, it was indeed ugly, gloomy, cloudy and super humid compared to AZ as @Pikeman_66 @bigdodge said, Welp, the next morning, Friday (weather was exactly the same and didnt clear up till 330pm when sun finally poked through), reading all of yalls post it put me at ease and told my wife alright get up and lets do it. I went with the route of NOT unplugging terminals on battery on dealing with the check light on. (It was driving me absolutely f**king insane and pissing me off driving i tried not even looking at the dash) Drove to the Naval ship, then drove 20 mins to meet with family at dinner, drove another 10 to their house, back to our hotel 25 mins, check light still on. Saturday, (weather was crystal clear sunny, nice dry breeze and not a cloud in sight. beautiful day.)... got up, got ready, turned on truck for our next adventure, check light still on. Drove to a hot chicken place about 8 mins down the road to eat and meet up with other family. Left the place to go to the beach....... THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT TURNED OFF! Turned on the truck and it was just GONE as if nothing ever happened. Now without rambling about the rest of the weekend the check light NEVER CAME BACK ON!

Not sure it was the hills and canyons mixed with whether, didnt like the up and downs or both? I DONT KNOW but again i want to thank yall ALOT for putting my mind at ease. b.c that was a big weight lifted off in knowing we were all good. So it has never came back on... yet. next time ill be using the truck is June 19th for a Sedona trip up north in hills and canyons which is 2 hours away and ill see how it does, but again thbak you. Honestly it was like @Threesuns1 said, it all worked itself out, as well as the rest of yalls advice. THANK YOU. And @Hdh67 and @SD Rebel I appreciate the help in wanted to meet with me to clear the code but it didnt even get to that point, again was busy and not on my phone much, just enjoyed the weekend, but special thanks for yall wanting to help.

Thank you again everyone.
I am glad you got some reassurance that it wasn't a catastrophe and could enjoy your trip. And totally didn't expect to hear any major replies until you were back home. So all good!

I too get pretty somethinged off having to stare at that check engine light as the hundreds of miles tick off on the way home, especially since we're usually long driving to come home. I think next time, I'm pulling the electrical tape out of the emergency kit and putting it over the stupid thing.

With respect to the light turning itself off. Mine has done that two of the three times. The first time, it of course turned off on the way to the dealer to get it looked at. That being said, they were able to still pull it. The second time, because it took 4 weeks (!) before another dealer would look at it, it was gone baby gone by the time they looked at (and did nothing). This last time I didn't drive it at all (so truck sat for over two weeks), but got it into the dealer with the light on. Haven't driven it much since they applied the PCM update, but given in the past it's only come on, during the return trip to San Diego, of week long road trips out east, I really have no clue if that solved it. Good luck on your next trip!

Slutzk

Cooling off
Reaction score
I am glad you got some reassurance that it wasn't a catastrophe and could enjoy your trip. And totally didn't expect to hear any major replies until you were back home. So all good!

I too get pretty somethinged off having to stare at that check engine light as the hundreds of miles tick off on the way home, especially since we're usually long driving to come home. I think next time, I'm pulling the electrical tape out of the emergency kit and putting it over the stupid thing.

With respect to the light turning itself off. Mine has done that two of the three times. The first time, it of course turned off on the way to the dealer to get it looked at. That being said, they were able to still pull it. The second time, because it took 4 weeks (!) before another dealer would look at it, it was gone baby gone by the time they looked at (and did nothing). This last time I didn't drive it at all (so truck sat for over two weeks), but got it into the dealer with the light on. Haven't driven it much since they applied the PCM update, but given in the past it's only come on, during the return trip to San Diego, of week long road trips out east, I really have no clue if that solved it. Good luck on your next trip!
Thank you! I appreciate it. Oh nice thats good knowledge i had no idea they were able to still pull codes even if it clears itself, ill keep that in mind. If it happens again in a couple weeks when i turn on the truck, it will 100% go into the dealer the minute i get home. For now im gona ride it out until it pops up again. I know its probably inevitable at this point but will see when. Cheers!

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Thank you! I appreciate it. Oh nice thats good knowledge i had no idea they were able to still pull codes even if it clears itself, ill keep that in mind. If it happens again in a couple weeks when i turn on the truck, it will 100% go into the dealer the minute i get home. For now im gona ride it out until it pops up again. I know its probably inevitable at this point but will see when. Cheers!

It sounds like a sensor was set off over some sort of driving condition, it takes a certain amount of miles for it to reset if it doesn't detect the issue again, hopefully it won't pop back up, though the code will still be in the system.

Next time you do an oil change ask them about it, tell them that the light went on and then they can double check to see what that inactive code was and if there's anything to worry about.

Users who are viewing this thread