5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will me and my family be ok? Code 219A

Slutzk

Cooling off
Reaction score
So the wife and I are driving from Phoenix, AZ to San Diego, CA with our 2 year old for his 2nd birthday. (What a great start to the Fxxxin weekend). 6 hour drive roughly. We had 40 mins left in our drive till we got to our hotel just cruising at about 70mph on the 8 fwy and thilen BING check engine light comes on. Mind you the last 40 mins im in hills and canyons so absolutely no service, no where to stop or anywhere to check whats wrong so had no choice but keep pushing Trans temp, oil temp, oil pressure, oil level, battery all ok according to the dash. Didn't drive rough at all, nothing changed, truck was as if everything was the same except, check engine light on now. Finally got out the canyon and stopped at a auto zone just to make sure we were not gona have to rent a car home b.c guess what? WE NEED THE TRUCK FOR THE WEEKEND TO and it's all we have.... so the code pulled was was 219A (also have an attachment for reference to see). Got to hotel and looked under hood but was too hot obviously to check and its dark now so hard to see. Now From what I've read it could be many things? But my main question is just, will I be able to get through my sons birthday weekend and get my family home safe? That's all I care about. Truck has only 5,400 miles on it btw.....

Attachments

• 20240516_214318.jpg
    20240516_214318.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 89

Air’d outSRT

Reaction score
I was getting last week after a tune tweak, he corrected the code and its been fine.

BigRedTD

Reaction score
Yeah, you’ll be ok. You may burn a little extra fuel, but your truck isn’t broken catastrophically. Do what you need to do and get it checked out when you get home.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The engine lights are predominately emissions control issues, often a sensor. If everything is reading fine, oil pressure, temps and running smooth, I wouldn't worry about it. You wouldn't pass smog test, but not really an issue. Just check with the dealer when you have a chance.

Too bad you don't have a OBDII dongle with you, you can clear the code and see if it pops back up during your drive.

Here is a good video that cover it:

Someone in the comments mentioned this: "I had the P219A code for my 2021 Ram 1500. According to the dealer, Chrysler released a TSB. The fix was a software update to the PCM."

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If your check engine light is FLASHING, you should stop and investigate.

All the rest is 99% generally not critical. Some Emissions codes have the potential to damage cats if driven for prolonged periods, but that's pretty much the only significant determent.

Pikeman_66

Reaction score
I wander if driving in the canyons and mountains around San Diego caused a temporary lean fuel condition for some reason?
It was just a thought as that should not have happened. but everything is controlled by a computer, and I have seen more than one have a brain fart.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I wander if driving in the canyons and mountains around San Diego caused a temporary lean fuel condition for some reason?
It was just a thought as that should not have happened. but everything is controlled by a computer, and I have seen more than one have a brain fart.
There was an customer improvement campaign for running lean for 2022s and earlier that could result in the truck shutting off while driving. I'm not sure if OPs 2023 would be included.
I believe it was an PCM update.

As others said if it feels like the truck is running fine just use it.

Slutzk

Cooling off
Reaction score
If your check engine light is FLASHING, you should stop and investigate.

All the rest is 99% generally not critical. Some Emissions codes have the potential to damage cats if driven for prolonged periods, but that's pretty much the only significant determent.
Sorry just waking up, (went to bed at 230am last night researching and waiting for replys) this and others made me feel a little more comfortable. I GREATLY appreciate it. @SD Rebel @BigRedTD @Pikeman_66 @Darksteel165 . Put me a little more at ease getting ready to start our day. One mention through hills and canyons, i mean its a possibility b.c really looking back it was winding up hill so i was stepping on it but happened half way up so wasnt right when i stepped. Who knows. Just glad il be able to get them home safe. I can careless about myself just don't want my family with a dog stranded on a 6 hour drive home.
Last question... being desperate i dug as deep as I could on Google waiting till I fell asleep and read somewhere just disconnect terminals to the battery to see if it clears the code, would yall advise this? (Gona ask here before even almost doing yhat b.c you folks are experts and have the same trucks pretty much) also read even deeper to touch the positive and negative terminals togather? (This one mainly b.c that drains the entire truck with every last bit of electricity as yall know, I've done this before on older car but with all the electronics in these trucks, god forbid someone stupid happens like loose the key chip and now I really can't drive lol idk though that's why I'm asking for advice before I turn it on to leave here in a while)

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Sorry just waking up, (went to bed at 230am last night researching and waiting for replys) this and others made me feel a little more comfortable. I GREATLY appreciate it. @SD Rebel @BigRedTD @Pikeman_66 @Darksteel165 . Put me a little more at ease getting ready to start our day. One mention through hills and canyons, i mean its a possibility b.c really looking back it was winding up hill so i was stepping on it but happened half way up so wasnt right when i stepped. Who knows. Just glad il be able to get them home safe. I can careless about myself just don't want my family with a dog stranded on a 6 hour drive home.
Last question... being desperate i dug as deep as I could on Google waiting till I fell asleep and read somewhere just disconnect terminals to the battery to see if it clears the code, would yall advise this? (Gona ask here before even almost doing yhat b.c you folks are experts and have the same trucks pretty much) also read even deeper to touch the positive and negative terminals togather? (This one mainly b.c that drains the entire truck with every last bit of electricity as yall know, I've done this before on older car but with all the electronics in these trucks, god forbid someone stupid happens like loose the key chip and now I really can't drive lol idk though that's why I'm asking for advice before I turn it on to leave here in a while)

Absolutely happy to help, if she is running right I wouldn't worry. But again, if you got a cheap OBDII scanner $15 on Amazon, you could clear the code yourself and see how quickly it comes back. It could come back in minutes or 10,000 miles later or never. Don't worry, the original code will still be in the system for the dealership to see.

As for disconnecting, I would avoid it now. Disconnecting the battery does automatically clear the code and remove the engine light, but with these RAMS it can take sometimes hours for all your stuff to comeback online, such as your Uconnect, back-up cams, etc. I would have done it last night so the truck would be ready by morning.

Slutzk

Cooling off
Reaction score
Absolutely happy to help, if she is running right I wouldn't worry. But again, if you got a cheap OBDII scanner $15 on Amazon, you could clear the code yourself and see how quickly it comes back. It could come back in minutes or 10,000 miles later or never. Don't worry, the original code will still be in the system for the dealership to see.

As for disconnecting, I would avoid it now. Disconnecting the battery does automatically clear the code and remove the engine light, but with these RAMS it can take sometimes hours for all your stuff to comeback online, specially with your Uconnect, back-up cams, etc. I would have done it last night so the truck would be ready by morning.
Yeah I have a scanner but it's at home. Lesson learned for sure. Long trips=bring scanner. Again truck has 5400 miles so I didn't think anything of it I mean sh*t I just did the first oil change And outta that 5400 miles 4800 of them of drives over 2 hours long to desert for riding and river to go boatingg, i have even driven to California back home which is a 4 hr 45 min drive and never had an issue. But lesson learn. Just freaked me out b.c I have my family with me. But again I can't thank yall enough for peace of mind.

And dang it, ok ill do it tonight then. We are here till Monday. And today visiting the Naval US Midway ship and it's 10 mins from hotel so not worried now. For disconnecting do you recommend just disconnecting both terminals or doing that plus touching them to drain it completely?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Yeah I have a scanner but it's at home. Lesson learned for sure. Long trips=bring scanner. Again truck has 5400 miles so I didn't think anything of it I mean sh*t I just did the first oil change And outta that 5400 miles 4800 of them of drives over 2 hours long to desert for riding and river to go boatingg, i have even driven to California back home which is a 4 hr 45 min drive and never had an issue. But lesson learn. Just freaked me out b.c I have my family with me. But again I can't thank yall enough for peace of mind.

And dang it, ok ill do it tonight then. We are here till Monday. And today visiting the Naval US Midway ship and it's 10 mins from hotel so not worried now. For disconnecting do you recommend just disconnecting both terminals or doing that plus touching them to drain it completely?
Don't bother disconnecting it. Just drive it and reset the code at home.

Check engine lights are not typically an big deal, you would know if it was.

SD Rebel

Reaction score

I hear ya, sucks to have that worry on a trip. I live in San Diego, if I wasn't up North at the moment I would just meet with you and reset it for you real quick. For disconnecting, just do the negative for a couple of minutes, open your door and make sure the doom light eventually stays off. Then reconnect, the code will be clear.

But honestly, you don't need to reset it, just pretend it's not there and wait till you get home. The only reason to remove the light now is to see how quickly it comes back out of curiosity.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
don't dis-connect the battery as everything will have to be re-learned.
I drive that road all the time and it has been muggy, it probable just needs to get use to the muggy air compared to the dry air of az.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would just wait till you get back home then clear the code and see if it comes back then go from there.

hogger

Reaction score
So the wife and I are driving from Phoenix, AZ to San Diego, CA with our 2 year old for his 2nd birthday. (What a great start to the Fxxxin weekend). 6 hour drive roughly. We had 40 mins left in our drive till we got to our hotel just cruising at about 70mph on the 8 fwy and thilen BING check engine light comes on. Mind you the last 40 mins im in hills and canyons so absolutely no service, no where to stop or anywhere to check whats wrong so had no choice but keep pushing Trans temp, oil temp, oil pressure, oil level, battery all ok according to the dash. Didn't drive rough at all, nothing changed, truck was as if everything was the same except, check engine light on now. Finally got out the canyon and stopped at a auto zone just to make sure we were not gona have to rent a car home b.c guess what? WE NEED THE TRUCK FOR THE WEEKEND TO and it's all we have.... so the code pulled was was 219A (also have an attachment for reference to see). Got to hotel and looked under hood but was too hot obviously to check and its dark now so hard to see. Now From what I've read it could be many things? But my main question is just, will I be able to get through my sons birthday weekend and get my family home safe? That's all I care about. Truck has only 5,400 miles on it btw.....
Sorry to hear. I've just got my truck back from service for yet another P219B (same error, other bank) on similar long haul drives. Only seems to happen on long haul road trips, usually coming back towards San Diego. Probably have over 3k miles racked up with that dang code present. Latest dealer attempt to fix was to apply TSB 18-098-23, but I won't know if that's really fixed it until I take the next road trip. Good luck, and I'd appreciate hearing what service in your area says. I've already been through 3 different dealers in the area trying to get this resolved.

Threesuns1

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I understand your concerns. My boys played travel baseball and we were heading to Coco Beach for a tournament, my water pump went out in my 2000 F250 around Rocky Mount, NC at 11 pm. Called AAA and the flat bed driver took the truck to Carolina Tire in Rocky Mount. We got a room at a flea bag hotel, called in the morning and they had me back on the road by 12:30 in the afternoon. At another tournament in Knoxville, TN had a wheel bearing go out as we were pulling in the hotel parking lot after dinner. Ted Russell Ford (recommended by a forum member on Ford Deisel site) gave use a rental and had it fixed (both wheel bearings) later that afternoon. These were the only two times anyone beside me worked on one of my vehicles.

My point is, stuff happens, and it has a way of working out. Relax, enjoy your trip, and don't over think that check engine light.

Slutzk

Cooling off
Reaction score
Hello everyone, (going to rant about the check light and my appreciation) So i just arrived home back at 5pm from AZ from CA for my sons 2nd birthday as stated on Thursday when i was freaking out.

First i want to thank you guys alot for putting my mind at peace b.c i wont lie, it almost ruined my weekend before even checking into the hotel for a 3-4 day weekend being the truck is so new and i had my family so wanted to make sure it was safe and yall helped with that right away, so again thank you. No matter our differences on this forum and us going back and forth (i know im a ******* sometimes on here and i apologize for it lol) we all still help one another and this thread is a prime example of that, especially someone's family involved (I know thats a bit of a reach but it ment something to me and im sure someone else would think the same had it happened) so we should all be happy for this forum, i know i am and respect it much more. Once again thank you from me and my family for helping my mood for my kids birthday.

Second i want to apologize for not replying to anyone afterwards, as yall could imagine i was busy and enjoying my time the best i could till i started seeing the messages coming through and all 3 days was go go go as we had anlot planned and my family members to meet with so they could see the baby, but i WAS reading all of them, thats why i liked all yalls message to somewhat acknowledge i was reading and got it, but im sorry for not replying. It was also my first time doing all this on my phone for this website (not a fan btw, computer is infinite times better lol, we need a app unless there is and idk about it, show me)

Lastly, the check light. So yall know the code and check light and story coming in. Ill start by saying Thursday, it was indeed ugly, gloomy, cloudy and super humid compared to AZ as @Pikeman_66 @bigdodge said, Welp, the next morning, Friday (weather was exactly the same and didnt clear up till 330pm when sun finally poked through), reading all of yalls post it put me at ease and told my wife alright get up and lets do it. I went with the route of NOT unplugging terminals on battery on dealing with the check light on. (It was driving me absolutely f**king insane and pissing me off driving i tried not even looking at the dash) Drove to the Naval ship, then drove 20 mins to meet with family at dinner, drove another 10 to their house, back to our hotel 25 mins, check light still on. Saturday, (weather was crystal clear sunny, nice dry breeze and not a cloud in sight. beautiful day.)... got up, got ready, turned on truck for our next adventure, check light still on. Drove to a hot chicken place about 8 mins down the road to eat and meet up with other family. Went to leave the place to go to the beach....... THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT TURNED OFF! I turned on the truck and it was just GONE as if nothing ever happened. Now without rambling about the rest of the weekend the check light NEVER CAME BACK ON! Thank you Daves hot chicken parking lot if that was the good luck charm idk.

Not sure it was the hills and canyons mixed with whether, didnt like the up and downs or both? I DONT KNOW but again i want to thank yall ALOT for putting my mind at ease. b.c that was a big weight lifted off in knowing we were all good. So it has never came back on... yet. next time ill be using the truck is June 19th for a Sedona trip up north in hills and canyons which is 2 hours away and ill see how it does. Honestly it was like @Threesuns1 said, it all worked itself out, as well as the rest of yalls advice. And @Hdh67 and @SD Rebel I appreciate the help in wanted to meet with me to clear the code but it didnt even get to that point, again was busy and not on my phone much, just enjoyed the weekend, but special thanks for yall wanting to help.

Thank you again everyone.

Last edited:

Redz72

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hello everyone, (going to rant about the check light and my appreciation) So i just arrived home back at 5pm from AZ from CA for my sons 2nd birthday as stated on Thursday when i was freaking out.

First i want to thank you guys alot for putting my mind at peace b.c i wont lie, it almost ruined my weekend before even checking into the hotel for a 3-4 day weekend being the truck is so new and i had my family so wanted to make sure it was safe and yall helped with that right away, so again thank you. No matter our differences on this forum and us going back and forth (i know im a ******* sometimes on here and i apologize for it lol) we all still help one another and this thread is a prime example of that, especially someone's family involved (I know thats a bit of a reach but it ment something to me and im sure someone else would think the same had it happened) so we should all be happy for this forum, i know i am and respect it much more. Once again thank you from me and my family for helping my mood for my kids birthday.

Second i want to apologize for not replying to anyone afterwards, as yall could imagine i was busy and enjoying my time the est i could till i started seeing the messages coming through and all 3 days was go go go as we had anlot planned and my fmaily memebers to meet with so they could see the baby, but i WAS reading all of them, thats why i liked all yalls message to somewhat aknowldge i was reading and got it, but im sorry for not replying. It was also my first time doing all this on my phone for this website (not a fan btw, computer is infinite times better lol, we need a app unless there is and idk about it, show me)

Lastly, the check light. So yall know the code and check light and story coming in. Ill start by saying Thurday, it was indeed ugly, gloomy, cloudy and super humid compared to AZ as @Pikeman_66 @bigdodge said, Welp, the next morning, Friday (weather was exactly the same and didnt clear up till 330pm when sun finally poked through), reading all of yalls post it put me at ease and told my wife alright get up and lets do it. I went with the route of NOT unplugging terminals on battery on dealing with the check light on. (It was driving me absolutly f**king insane and pissing me off driving i tried not even looking at the dash) Drove to the Naval ship, then drove 20 mins to meet with family at dinner, drove another 10 to their house, back to our hotel 25 mins, check light still on. Saturday, (weather was crystal clear sunny, nice dry breezeand not a cloud in sight. beautiful day.)... got up, got ready, turned on truck for our next adventure, check light still on. Drove to a hot chicken place about 8 mins down the road to eat and meet up with other fmaily. Left the place to go to the beach....... THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT TURNED OFF! Turned on the truck and it was just GONE as if nothing ever happened. Now without rambling about the rest of the weekend the check light NEVER CAME BACK ON!
Glad it all worked out for you, and especially your family.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Second i want to apologize for not replying to anyone afterwards, as yall could imagine i was busy and enjoying my time the est i could till i started seeing the messages coming through and all 3 days was go go go as we had anlot planned and my fmaily memebers to meet with so they could see the baby, but i WAS reading all of them, thats why i liked all yalls message to somewhat aknowldge i was reading and got it, but im sorry for not replying. It was also my first time doing all this on my phone for this website (not a fan btw, computer is infinite times better lol, we need a app unless there is and idk about it, show me)

Lastly, the check light. So yall know the code and check light and story coming in. Ill start by saying Thurday, it was indeed ugly, gloomy, cloudy and super humid compared to AZ as @Pikeman_66 @bigdodge said, Welp, the next morning, Friday (weather was exactly the same and didnt clear up till 330pm when sun finally poked through), reading all of yalls post it put me at ease and told my wife alright get up and lets do it. I went with the route of NOT unplugging terminals on battery on dealing with the check light on. (It was driving me absolutly f**king insane and pissing me off driving i tried not even looking at the dash) Drove to the Naval ship, then drove 20 mins to meet with family at dinner, drove another 10 to their house, back to our hotel 25 mins, check light still on. Saturday, (weather was crystal clear sunny, nice dry breezeand not a cloud in sight. beautiful day.)... got up, got ready, turned on truck for our next adventure, check light still on. Drove to a hot chicken place about 8 mins down the road to eat and meet up with other fmaily. Left the place to go to the beach....... THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT TURNED OFF! Turned on the truck and it was just GONE as if nothing ever happened. Now without rambling about the rest of the weekend the check light NEVER CAME BACK ON!
Glad you got home without drama.
That CEL clearing without my intervention would send me in to a spiral of what if`s...

Users who are viewing this thread