5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Removing ETorque

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You can't. It's too integrated within the truck. Easiest would be totally gutting the truck and doing a stand alone engine/transmission controller.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Depends what you mean by fully removing etorque. Do you consider the generator part of etorque? I'm currently running non-etorque firmware for testing and seem to of removed the eTorque throttle lag and start-stop will not engage. Warranty most certainly voided.

Jmac509

Reaction score
My big question is will the truck still work and function if the 48 volt battery fails. I'm assuming at some point replacement battery packs will stop being produced.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My big question is will the truck still work and function if the 48 volt battery fails. I'm assuming at some point replacement battery packs will stop being produced.
It will not. It's why I bought a used non eTorque when I could have easily afforded a new '23 but did not want that on my truck.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score

By law auto manufactures are required to provide parts for 10 years after production stops. There are enough eTorque vehicles out there that I have no doubt someone will still be offering batteries after that point or selling an eTorque conversion kit that eliminates it.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
By law auto manufactures are required to provide parts for 10 years after production stops. There are enough eTorque vehicles out there that I have no doubt someone will still be offering batteries after that point or selling an eTorque conversion kit that eliminates it.
I've heard that claim a lot but I don't believe such a law exists in the US. Some countries do have federal laws which require car makers to supply parts for a certain period of time. So you would think that they would have parts available for other countries as well for that duration. Search for yourself but I don't think you'll find this law. This article discusses the topic if you care to read it...

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I've heard that claim a lot but I don't believe such a law exists in the US. Some countries do have federal laws which require car makers to supply parts for a certain period of time. So you would think that they would have parts available for other countries as well for that duration. Search for yourself but I don't think you'll find this law. This article discusses the topic if you care to read it...

You're correct because the law doesn't exist in the USA.
There is an automaker pact that most have went into but it's not a law nor legally binding.
I'm should I could find the info somewhere, but definitely not a law.

WACOKID

Reaction score
I am pretty sure in some time once the etourqe batteries start to take a dump the ultimate solution will be to either disable it with one of the dongles. disable it by pusing the auto off button, or disable it by putting your manual shift point in 8th gear. Ultimately your willingness to push a button each time you start the vehicle vs buying a dongle and not having to push a button will be the determining factor, other than that E-torque just seems like it's mostly been a EPA gimmick and a concerted effort on the behalf if FCA to not wear out your normal starter unnecessarily.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score

It's a very widespread belief that may not be true because I couldn't find the text of the law either.

It may be that people are confusing the 10 year requirement for the manufacture to correct a safety related defect, but that wouldn't include any parts that could not possibly be related to safety. Even then the law gives the manufacture the option to buy back the vehicle.

time.replcepart.Pollak.12-03 | NHTSA

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am pretty sure in some time once the etourqe batteries start to take a dump the ultimate solution will be to either disable it with one of the dongles. disable it by pusing the auto off button, or disable it by putting your manual shift point in 8th gear. Ultimately your willingness to push a button each time you start the vehicle vs buying a dongle and not having to push a button will be the determining factor, other than that E-torque just seems like it's mostly been a EPA gimmick and a concerted effort on the behalf if FCA to not wear out your normal starter unnecessarily.

Turning off the auto start button will not solve the problem since eTorque does much more than just restart your vehicle after auto shutoff. Without eTorque, you don't even have charging for the 12 volt battery.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The problem with the etorque system is that it is so integrated into the normal functions of the truck. There is no traditional alternator for charging the main 12v battery. Instead, the main battery is charged from a voltage divider circuit in the 48v battery module. So if the 48v module goes out there is no way to charge the main battery.

Edit: Looks like DEG beat me to that lol.

WACOKID

Reaction score
Not sure why I thought this but I thought it had the Etorque generator and then a secondary that supplied the 12 volt system off the crank (or camshaft) but maybe it was just the divided charging you mentioned. I'm sure at some point it will be a headache, I just hope when that time comes it will be a problem for the next owner :eek:|

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not sure why I thought this but I thought it had the Etorque generator and then a secondary that supplied the 12 volt system off the crank (or camshaft) but maybe it was just the divided charging you mentioned. I'm sure at some point it will be a headache, I just hope when that time comes it will be a problem for the next owner :eek:|
I seen someone said warrantied until 80K miles, so dump before then if true 😂

23RAM

Reaction score
Does anyone know how to remove or fully disable Etorque?
In my opinion, E-torque is just a marketing tool to help the green people feel warm and fuzzy. They're changing to a turbo I-6 and killing the V8 for the same reasons. It'll take over a decade to get your "fuel savings" back that the system costs extra to buy (longer on the lower trims). That plus extra complexity and more expensive replacement parts is why I chose to order the truck without it.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
In my opinion, E-torque is just a marketing tool to help the green people feel warm and fuzzy. They're changing to a turbo I-6 and killing the V8 for the same reasons. It'll take over a decade to get your "fuel savings" back that the system costs extra to buy (longer on the lower trims). That plus extra complexity and more expensive replacement parts is why I chose to order the truck without it.
eTorque was free on 2022s, 0 extra cost.
Also the I6 keeps the same features eTorque provided for what it's worth.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
eTorque was free on 2022s, 0 extra cost.
Also the I6 keeps the same features eTorque provided for what it's worth.
What features would those be? No MGU and no 48V battery module. Those are the components most people are worried about needing to replace outside of warranty. Hell, even when still under warranty because of parts shortages.

If you mean they will have stop/start then your correct about that feature. But that's the only feature that carries over. There is much more to the etorque system than stop/start.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
If you mean they will have stop/start then your correct about that feature. But that's the only feature that carries over. There is much more to the etorque system than stop/start.
This is what I am referring to yes.
Unless you are saying regen breaking which REDUCES your mpg is an "feature", then yeah hurricane doesn't get that.
There aint anything else to eTorque, unless you are talking about how my transmission would go into neutral while I was driving my truck until I removed the eTorque TCM firmware. I wouldn't call that an "feature" either.
There will be nothing missed from this joke of a system.

The hurricane gets the actual features of eTorque without the extra required modules and wear and tear batteries.
Not sure how a turbo would like having the engine turn off before you gun it from a dead stop at an light.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This is what I am referring to yes.
Unless you are saying regen breaking which REDUCES your mpg is an "feature", then yeah hurricane doesn't get that.
There aint anything else to eTorque, unless you are talking about how my transmission would go into neutral while I was driving my truck until I removed the eTorque TCM firmware. I wouldn't call that an "feature" either.
There will be nothing missed from this joke of a system.

The hurricane gets the actual features of eTorque without the extra required modules and wear and tear batteries.
Not sure how a turbo would like having the engine turn off before you gun it from a dead stop at an light.
The Hurricane will have stop/start. That is not an etorque feature, it's something you get with etorque. Lots of different vehicles have stop/start systems. It's not unique to etorque. You really don't understand the system. I suggest you watch any of the many videos out there which describe what etorque is. Here's one video from Stellantis...

Or this one...

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The Hurricane was never about fuel economy increases, or savings.

And saying it's has more expensive replacement parts is unfounded, and just excuses you are coming up with to justify your dislike of it

Users who are viewing this thread