5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hemi beating Ecoboost???

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Here's something interesting...
My coworker and I were out grabbing coffee in his Hemi Ram 2wd.
This snotty kid kept peeling out and acting like an idiot in a F150 Ecoboost...directed towards us.
So after a few minutes of that my buddy got tired of it and decided to sort of race him from a red light.
He made these adjustments right before...Gear limiter set to 8, TC off, T/H mode on. He smoked the F150 Ecoboost.
Now here's the kicker....the Ram we were in was a 2016 with 3.55 ratio. Do you think that those tweaks we did really made the difference or is the Ecoboost really not as good as some ppl say..? Lol.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nope. The kid prob did not know how to drive. I love my Hemi, but as far as I know, the EB will smoke it any day of the week.
I'm not totally convinced of that...I know the 3.5 Ecoboost will smoke the Hemi but I don't think the 2.7 will. That's what I think the kid had.

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm not totally convinced of that...I know the 3.5 Ecoboost will smoke the Hemi but I don't think the 2.7 will. That's what I think the kid had.

I think aside from the 3.5 high output ecotoot, the 2.7L veesix is actually the fastest to 60. Light in weight, the torqueband is on the low end. The ford trucks (with their aluminum bed floors of course) are also pretty light weight. That lends itself well to stoplight to stoplight racing.
The rams are also heavy.

If the "race" occurred when the 2 trucks were rolling? or at 40mph or over? I can see a case for the hemi.
I think your friend was the better driver of the 2 drivers. And of course the hemi isn't chopped liver.

The ecoboosts are pretty good at 3 things.

1) Making the EPA happy.
Were it not for the CAFE/EPA stuff, this engine wouldn't exist. Period.
But, you see, when driven like a sleepy grandmother with nothing in it, it might give you those EPA MPG numbers.
The engine is either eco OR boost. Start giving it a bunch of gas pedal or put a load behind it, and that number will shoot down.

2) Letting the Ford Faithful think they've got some space age engine, after which they talk down to you about it not being 1950 or something.
Remember, the V6 with a turbo on it is all annnyone could want. It's not 1950, the V8 is dead, and all that jazz.
Proof? The $400,000 Ford GT has one, and so does the raptor, why would anyone want a V8?
Fast forward to 2020, the 700hp+ V8 Ram TRX is released and sells out, and the Ford guys are backpedalling saying, "W-w-w-well, the next Raptor MIGHT get a V8 so t-t-t-there!" :ROFLMAO:
Not after all the whining about V8s being dead, for a few years before the release of the 7.3L V8 in the superduty.
Wow did those promises age like milk.

3) Lastly, stoplight to stoplight racing.
It is designed to go stoplight to stoplight, feeling like a V8, with numbers superior to the V8 that ford chooses to sell (this is on purpose), and of course: meet EPA/CAFE regs. Stoplight to stoplight is the thing it does well. Very well.

But there are reasons they didn't put one in the superduty, despite what people promised and promised for years. After all, need I remind you, it's not 1950. IIRC the engineers stated the superduty got a big simple V8, because that was the engine of choice when considerations like fuel economy under load, longevity, reliability, and ease of maintenance were the primary concerns. You know, typical truck stuff.

The ecotoot might be the best at stoplight to stoplight, never mind, that's the TRX's hellcat engine.
So That engine family is good at stoplight to stoplight racing. But For longterm use? I prefer an engine that was sold for many years under the hood of 3/4ton trucks, the 5.7L Hemi. A truck engine designed to do truck stuff, for a long heavyduty truck's life, and keep ticking.

FYI the 2.7L ecoboost came out in 2015. This is year 5.
It's not totally known how "reliable" those are in the long term. 150,000 highway miles is a long ways from 10 years of hard use that goes beyond idling on a highway getting peak mpg on a beautiful flat roadway.

I believe the 3.5L Ecoboost started in the F-150s in 2011ish?
That would be year 9. No we don't know what those engines/turbos are like to maintain at year 10.
Not that hemis are perfect in all ways, but replacing things like turbos and intercoolers in addition to the engine parts is probably not the cheapest thing to do.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
As the previous owner of a 2015 F150 Ecoboost 2.7L, I can tell you for a fact it will smoke my Rebel from 0-60 and the quarter mile. I've tested both of them, my Hemi is a few tenths off in each area.

But it matches the test I've seen in magazines. The 2.7L Ecoboost in Supercrew 4x4 trim can do 0-60 in 5.7 seconds. A similar RAM 1500 is about 6.1 seconds. Roughly half a second slower or about 4-5 car lengths for the RAM, which is what my own test showed.

The big reason is the weight difference, my F150 was a good 700 lbs lighter I think. Also, my Hemi produces 410 ft-lb of torque at 3,950 rpms, but my 2.7L Eco produced 375 ft-lbs at 2,750 rpms. So I think the lighter weight and lower torque curve of those twin scroll turbos really makes that F150 scoot even though it has a lot less hp. Note that newer 2.7L now make 400 ft-lb of torque.

If that kid hat a 2.7L, he probably smoked the tires a little bit at launch which would make all the difference in the World. He shouldn't have lost to a Hemi 5.7L. However, it sounds like an Accord, which is why I don't have it anymore :)

Last edited:

Sv250

Reaction score
We have an ecoboost 2.7l rental at work. It has smoked all of our Rams. That kid must be the worst driver on the planet. The ecoboost will put almost 2 truck lengths on tbe Ram off the line. The ram will never make it up.

The F150 is a tin can and poorly assembled truck. It kills me that it spanks our trucks. I think the Ram is the slowest truck compared to f150, silverado, titan, and tundra.

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The 3.5L was not as good as claimed (or as fast) in the pre-2015 F-150s. My father owned a 2013 EB F-150, and my 2014 Ram could outdo it. It was when they went with the all aluminum body and shed all that weight, thats when the 3.5 could take off.

I think the Ram is the slowest truck compared to f150, silverado, titan, and tundra.

The 5.0 V8, 3.5L EB, and 2.7 EB can all beat the Hemi in a straight up race.
The Chevy/GMC 6.2 can beat us, and all other stuff being equal (or as close as possible), can also beat the 5.0 Ford V8. The 5.3 cannot do much.
The Tundra, when equipped with the best gear ratio (towing/speed), and pitted up against a 4th Gen Ram Hemi with 3.92, cannot beat the Ram. I doubt our 5th gens would do worse, being lighter and more aerodynamic than the 4th gens.
The Titan is also supposedly slower, although I have not seen any tests with the newest body style.

But as others said, I'm more for reliability of a N/A V8.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I loved my little 2.7L Ecoboost, I used it well, it was fast, but would still get me over 20 mpg if I took it easy. No issues in the 4 years I owned it.

However, it lacked character, a very clinical motor, lacked the high amount of soul the Hemi has. I can do with a slightly slower 0-60 time if it puts a smile on my face just driving around.

I just avoid trying to race any F150 2.7L or Silverados 6.2L, which are the fastest regular trucks out there.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
All good points, however, my buddy's Ram is an express Hemi with the 3.55, 2wd so I think that's probably the fastest Ram crew cab configuration you can get...bare bones, not much of anything on it. Plus he has a drop in AEM and an aftermarket exhaust (can't remember which brand) TC off, Haul mode on and gear limit set to 8.
I honestly truly think all of these factors made a difference when going against that 2.7 eco.
Almost every single race I've seen...on videos and in person...not one of the driver's of the RAM did any of those things. (Expect for my coworker during this race)
This was from a stop...did just under a 1/8th mile. And the Eco boy didn't burn out on acceleration. I'm telling ya...it is possible for the Hemi to take on the 2.7 Eco....IF those quick adjustments are made. And no matter what...in 100k miles...the Hemi will still be running fine unlike those turbo engines.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I loved my little 2.7L Ecoboost, I used it well, it was fast, but would still get me over 20 mpg if I took it easy. No issues in the 4 years I owned it.

However, it lacked character, a very clinical motor, lacked the high amount of soul the Hemi has. I can do with a slightly slower 0-60 time if it puts a smile on my face just driving around.

I just avoid trying to race any F150 2.7L or Silverados 6.2L, which are the fastest regular trucks out there.
Lol, I hate turbo engines. I'm going to try a do a little race against an Eco with my 2019 Etorque....I'll be honest with the outcome...even if I lose haha.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The 3.5L was not as good as claimed (or as fast) in the pre-2015 F-150s. My father owned a 2013 EB F-150, and my 2014 Ram could outdo it. It was when they went with the all aluminum body and shed all that weight, thats when the 3.5 could take off.

The 5.0 V8, 3.5L EB, and 2.7 EB can all beat the Hemi in a straight up race.
The Chevy/GMC 6.2 can beat us, and all other stuff being equal (or as close as possible), can also beat the 5.0 Ford V8. The 5.3 cannot do much.
The Tundra, when equipped with the best gear ratio (towing/speed), and pitted up against a 4th Gen Ram Hemi with 3.92, cannot beat the Ram. I doubt our 5th gens would do worse, being lighter and more aerodynamic than the 4th gens.
The Titan is also supposedly slower, although I have not seen any tests with the newest body style.

But as others said, I'm more for reliability of a N/A V8.
If they changed the front end..even I would consider a Titan pro4X haha. But I was told the Tundra is actually the slowest of all 1/2 ton pickups...no experience with them in my case though

SD Rebel

Reaction score
All good points, however, my buddy's Ram is an express Hemi with the 3.55, 2wd so I think that's probably the fastest Ram crew cab configuration you can get...bare bones, not much of anything on it. Plus he has a drop in AEM and an aftermarket exhaust (can't remember which brand) TC off, Haul mode on and gear limit set to 8.
I honestly truly think all of these factors made a difference when going against that 2.7 eco.
Almost every single race I've seen...on videos and in person...not one of the driver's of the RAM did any of those things. (Expect for my coworker during this race)
This was from a stop...did just under a 1/8th mile. And the Eco boy didn't burn out on acceleration. I'm telling ya...it is possible for the Hemi to take on the 2.7 Eco....IF those quick adjustments are made. And no matter what...in 100k miles...the Hemi will still be running fine unlike those turbo engines.

Makes sense, if it was a really light RAM and a heavy F150. If his RAM can beat your RAM by 4-5 lengths, then we know his configuration was the difference. If you have a close race, then we know it was the F150 driver.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Makes sense, if it was a really light RAM and a heavy F150. If his RAM can beat your RAM by 4-5 lengths, then we know his configuration was the difference. If you have a close race, then we know it was the F150 driver.
I'll put my Ram against his sometime this week and we'll see how that goes first lol.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Also...there are a couple of tricks to racing with an auto transmission that most people don't know about. (Lots of trial and error with drag racing in New England )

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Also...there are a couple of tricks to racing with an auto transmission that most people don't know about. (Lots of trial and error with drag racing in New England )

Nice! Tell me more of this technique you speak of?

SilverNight2020

Reaction score
Speaking from personal experience, my previous 2015 3.5L Ecobeast Lariat would put me in the back of my driver's seat with the amount of launch that thing had in normal drive mode. Don't even get me started about the Sport Mode option. I knew going into the choice of trading for the Ram, I was losing that low end launch ability, but I wanted that true V8 for the towing and the ability to upgrade the exhaust and it actually sound good. So, without serious performance mods, I do not see any situation where the Hemi could smoke an Ecoboost.

5thGenRebel_AMK

Ram Guru
Reaction score
tow haul mode really changes shift points in the truck under normal driving, but are shift points really any different in tow/haul compared to normal when you floor it? Wouldn't both modes take the truck to redline and there wouldnt be a difference?

5thGenRebel_AMK

Ram Guru
Reaction score
my cousin traded a grand cherokee with a hemi for a new f150 with the 2.7 crew cab and he said it would smoke his jeep all day lol. thats cool and all, but you couldnt give me a truck without a v8

Users who are viewing this thread