5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fitcam X review

vtcats

Reaction score
Thought I’d update this along with an additional question. First, my product was NOT the 4k, but the 2K front and 1080p back camera. That was the reason I didn’t get the option to record in the higher resolutions and to record up to 3 mi ite clips.
They sent me the 4k, which I then installed. I noticed files being corrupted…again (using there micro and card). So I formatted the card and let it record for the last few weeks. Today I decided I would take out the card and view the video files on my computer. First thing I noticed is they all recorded in TS file format. They said it’s because it’s a “safer” format, that if the truck suddenly loses power the later video can be saved.
But it’s cumbersome in my opinion. You have to download a specific viewer to view the format, they separate into different folders the front videos from the back videos (it’s MUCH MORE convenient to have the front and back in the SAME folder), and if you want to share, you then ALSO have to have a converter. I can use Handbrake but converting the files take a ton of time.
My own opinion: people seem to love them on this site, but the whole thing is half baked. I would not recommend them. Having said that, I don’t know a lot of options and what the others look like. The ONE thing I do like is the OEM style install.
Good luck

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thought I’d update this along with an additional question. First, my product was NOT the 4k, but the 2K front and 1080p back camera. That was the reason I didn’t get the option to record in the higher resolutions and to record up to 3 mi ite clips.
They sent me the 4k, which I then installed. I noticed files being corrupted…again (using there micro and card). So I formatted the card and let it record for the last few weeks. Today I decided I would take out the card and view the video files on my computer. First thing I noticed is they all recorded in TS file format. They said it’s because it’s a “safer” format, that if the truck suddenly loses power the later video can be saved.
But it’s cumbersome in my opinion. You have to download a specific viewer to view the format, they separate into different folders the front videos from the back videos (it’s MUCH MORE convenient to have the front and back in the SAME folder), and if you want to share, you then ALSO have to have a converter. I can use Handbrake but converting the files take a ton of time.
My own opinion: people seem to love them on this site, but the whole thing is half baked. I would not recommend them. Having said that, I don’t know a lot of options and what the others look like. The ONE thing I do like is the OEM style install.
Good luck
If you download from the camera to your phone, through the app, it converts the files to MP4. You can upload the .ts files directly to youtube, which also concerts them to MP4, and it's faster than using any software on your computer to convert the files. I use VLC player to play the files. It's a pretty common media player and has been around for decades. Windoes has a built in video editing program that will also convert the files with no need to download anything else. It's just slow.

As for separating the front and rear files into different folders that's very subjective. I personally find it far easier to have them in separate files. I'm not always looking for the rear video, mostly just the front. So I have less files to search through when trying to find the one I want. And once again, viewing through the app, they are all together. Which goes back to being harder to find the file I want.

For a dash cam, that has a phone app to view and download files, on the spot, should you get in an accident, it's a very good option. Video quality is high, and not needing to remove the card and have a computer to view the files is a huge plus when trying to prove who was at fault in an accident.

vtcats

Reaction score
If you download from the camera to your phone, through the app, it converts the files to MP4. You can upload the .ts files directly to youtube, which also concerts them to MP4, and it's faster than using any software on your computer to convert the files. I use VLC player to play the files. It's a pretty common media player and has been around for decades. Windoes has a built in video editing program that will also convert the files with no need to download anything else. It's just slow.

As for separating the front and rear files into different folders that's very subjective. I personally find it far easier to have them in separate files. I'm not always looking for the rear video, mostly just the front. So I have less files to search through when trying to find the one I want. And once again, viewing through the app, they are all together. Which goes back to being harder to find the file I want.

For a dash cam, that has a phone app to view and download files, on the spot, should you get in an accident, it's a very good option. Video quality is high, and not needing to remove the card and have a computer to view the files is a huge plus when trying to prove who was at fault in an accident.
Yes, have since downloaded the VLC program. And yes I have downloaded files to my phone as well knowing it converts them. But if you have a few hundred files to look through to find the one you want it much easier to just remove the micro SD card and view on the computer. So yes, now I need to have the VLC program to do that. And if I find there is a video I want to share (not YouTube but via shared albums In IOS/ipad), I’ll need to convert first (unless I had downloaded direct, but that takes much longer). Bottom line, lots of unnecessary steps.
Also, I get the front-rear files together, being subjective/my preference, but you can SEE each file as to which is front and rear so it doesn’t add additional steps when looking for any files at all in my opinion.
Anyway, glad you love it, it “will do” for me, but it’s definitely not as slick as I was hoping. I’d be curios to know how other dash cams work. Too bad it’s not 60fps as well (but I knew THAT part) before purchasing.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Good luck

Man, that's a LOT of nitpicks. :rolleyes: I did NOT have to download a specific viewer to watch the .TS videos on my PC. Windows Media Player opened them WITHOUT asking which player I wanted to use. If the videos weren't in separate files the video list would be TWICE as long and it would be MUCH MORE cumbersome to find a specific video. I have shared a few videos and I did NOT have to convert them.

I guess you CAN'T please everyone.

vtcats

Reaction score
Man, that's a LOT of nitpicks. :rolleyes: I did NOT have to download a specific viewer to watch the .TS videos on my PC. Windows Media Player opened them WITHOUT asking which player I wanted to use. If the videos weren't in separate files the video list would be TWICE as long and it would be MUCH MORE cumbersome to find a specific video. I have shared a few videos and I did NOT have to convert them.

vtcats

Reaction score
Sorry you take MY OPINION personal. This is just my take for OTHERS that want something like this to be plug and play.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Sorry you take MY OPINION personal. This is just my take for OTHERS that want something like this to be plug and play.

I did NOT take your opinion PERSONAL, but I am having fun with your GOOFY capitalization. :ROFLMAO: Your experience with the FitCamX is an OUTLIER, so I wanted to make sure that others understand that it's UNLIKELY they will have the same issues you described.

The FitCamX is as plug-and-play as a dashcam's get. It's not perfect, but you really have to go out of your way to find any major flaws...especially considering the price, ease of installation and form factor.

31RamIt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just wanna chime in and say I really like my camera. I have one on my truck and my wife's traverse. Great quality. Easy to use UI on the phone.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Without searching for and downloading additional codecs, my windows media player would not play the files. Was easier to just install VLC player as it's a better media player all around.

As.far as sharing the video you can't upload .TS files to Facebook. You can send the files to other people as long as they have a player that can watch them but most forums don't allow that file extension

rabidtunes

Reaction score
is this compatible with the digital mirror? the add a usb from mirror doesnt work with the digital mirrors. curious as to how this does.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
is this compatible with the digital mirror? the add a usb from mirror doesnt work with the digital mirrors. curious as to how this does.
That would be a question for manufacturer

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I would agree. but all i get from them is 'its compatible iwth the auto dimming mirror".. was hoping someone may have tried it.
Can you take a picture of the connector for your mirror?

If nothing else, you could buy the hardwire harness and run down to fuse panel.

Users who are viewing this thread