5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Engine failure on 2019 Hemi?

BBTrucker

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I've been watching the forum for years, but here's my problem.

Last weekend ago I heard what sounded like the hemi tick. I didn't drive far and managed to have the vehicle towed to the dealer. It appears they've found metal from a rod bearing in my oil after dropping the oil pan. Is it safe to assume this thing is fried? Dealer is coming back with an insane $15k+ bill to replace the engine and it appears to be a remanufactured engine from Mopar? That seems very excessive!

The vehicle is a 2019 and has just over 81k on it. I've been meticulous about changing my oil with the recommended brand/type and I've never had an engine fail on me like this. Has anyone had any luck getting it covered by FCA out of warranty?

Jedi9

Reaction score
15K+ is a lot. what do they think caused a rod bearing failure after 81K miles? Wonder what a shop would charge to tear it down, new bearings, rings, seals, pump, and put it back together.?

BBTrucker

Reaction score
15K+ is a lot. what do they think caused a rod bearing failure after 81K miles? Wonder what a shop would charge to tear it down, new bearings, rings, seals, pump, and put it back together.?
That's a good question. I asked them to stop once they pulled the oil pan and reported their findings. The original cost to tear it down was about $1100, which is high IMO. No clue on doing the rest, but I would probably not use the dealership for it. I had taken it to them to diagnose the issue so I can at least determine if there is something possible with a lawsuit. 81k isn't a lot of miles--never had anything fail that quickly.

RebelliousGt

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I've been watching the forum for years, but here's my problem.

Last weekend ago I heard what sounded like the hemi tick. I didn't drive far and managed to have the vehicle towed to the dealer. It appears they've found metal from a rod bearing in my oil after dropping the oil pan. Is it safe to assume this thing is fried? Dealer is coming back with an insane $15k+ bill to replace the engine and it appears to be a remanufactured engine from Mopar? That seems very excessive!

The vehicle is a 2019 and has just over 81k on it. I've been meticulous about changing my oil with the recommended brand/type and I've never had an engine fail on me like this. Has anyone had any luck getting it covered by FCA out of warranty?
I guess no extended warranty?

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't see why they would cover it outside of warranty. It's not a common malfunction, but it happens.

Cost seems high but I guess it depends on where they are sourcing the remanufactured engine. There appears to be a significant difference in price for a remanufactured 5.7 hemi depending on source. They seem to range from $5500 - $8500. It's been my experience you can normally double the price of a crate motor and that's about what you can plan on paying to get your running vehicle back after they add labor, hardware and accessories necessary for the install.

GMetal

Reaction score
Id say with todays prices 15K sounds right. Rebuilt engine long block is at least $5k (ATK rebuild) MOPAR will be around $8k plus core. Add intake manifold, oil pan, other parts needed that cant be swapped and labor to remove and strip down old motor and reassemble it can add up fast with todays hourly labor rates. Here Ive seen 150-250/hour labor rate.

Jedi9

Reaction score
Sometimes I miss the old days. Got a long block for my Dad's 1992 Dodge truck, 2k and change, hundred bucks or so for parts, did the swap in a weekend and he was back on the road.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sometimes I miss the old days. Got a long block for my Dad's 1992 Dodge truck, 2k and change, hundred bucks or so for parts, did the swap in a weekend and he was back on the road.

You can still get a rebuilt long block for the 92 Dodge truck for around 2K. When people remember the "old days" they always seem to remember things costing less but always forget incomes were less as well.

Jedi9

Reaction score
I don't forget my $6.50 an hour income when I got married. But I was really talking about it being easier to do it yourself over a weekend. Seems like it would be more involved now, they probably pull the body off the truck for an engine change. I remember wrenching on my own vehicles because there was no other option. Now I do simple wrenching for recreation.

Users who are viewing this thread