5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air Compressor Mounting Locations

Fatherdeath

Reaction score
Right now I have a Air compressor I use for airing up after a trail, and right now its just simple battery connected and loose. Im looking to hard mount the compressor some where on the engine pay or frame and possibly even a 1-2 gallon tank as well. Any one have any good locations they have found?

jan_riefkohl

Reaction score
Right now I have a Air compressor I use for airing up after a trail, and right now its just simple battery connected and loose. Im looking to hard mount the compressor some where on the engine pay or frame and possibly even a 1-2 gallon tank as well. Any one have any good locations they have found?
If your truck has ram boxes then you could mounted in there and route the 12V cables through the drain plug. There’s a video on YouTube of somebody installing a ARB Dual Compressor in that spot.

fartsonunicorns

Reaction score
I’m looking at doing the same thing, but lately it’s been way too hot outside for projects. But I think it could fit pretty easily on the passenger side of the engine pay. I’m possibly thinking about swapping to the ram air intake and mounting it where the stock air box lives.

2020 Big Horn Quad Cab 4x4
De-badged and chrome delete
Rockford Fosgate P600x4 pushing stock 6 speakers, P1000x1bd pushing two 10” subs

jan_riefkohl

Reaction score
I’m looking at doing the same thing, but lately it’s been way too hot outside for projects. But I think it could fit pretty easily on the passenger side of the engine pay. I’m possibly thinking about swapping to the ram air intake and mounting it where the stock air box lives.

2020 Big Horn Quad Cab 4x4
De-badged and chrome delete
Rockford Fosgate P600x4 pushing stock 6 speakers, P1000x1bd pushing two 10” subs
That honestly sounds perfect, I never considered it there since I’m think if switching to an S&B since the ram air intake (if its the mopar one) is a bit rich for my blood haha.

jan_riefkohl

Reaction score

Ended up buying a Hyper Tough 3 gallon compressor that I saw out of coincidence, got it from the dad of a buddy of mine for 40 bucks at it fits perfectly in the RamBox where my AC plug is at.
86eb861779247dca88305a69e32de6c2.jpg

ac728ae123848879a41765ce1e3a2a40.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: c3k

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have plans to put an Extra Sanden AC Compressor on the
Engine for OBA. Finding a Place for the Train Horns is a little Tougher.

I used a York 210 from a '73 Mercedes on my 2008 Big Horn.

Malodave

Fishstixs22

Reaction score
Right now I have an Air compressor I use for airing up after a trail, and right now its just simple battery connected and loose. Im looking to hard mount the compressor some where on the engine pay or frame and possibly even a 1-2 gallon tank as well. Any one have any good locations they have found?
So I have mine where your air intake filter would be I installed a ram air which opens up that entire side of the engine bay and installed a 2-1/2 gallon tank with the compressor since I don’t have ram boxes , works out great because of the ram air which isn’t a an insane amount of money to get and fairly easy to install

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score

just want to give a shoutout to @NH Overland.

1716108019328.png
1716108030636.png
Mine's the test fit so it probably looks slightly different, but the production kit fits perfectly fine.

Whodeysrt

Reaction score
Installed Ram Air system and took top off old air box and put a floor in it for this. Other side has quick connect to use for normal air compressor stuff……oh yeah it makes train noises also!😂

Attachments

• IMG_1021.jpeg
    IMG_1021.jpeg
    168.9 KB · Views: 25

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm new to this concept but was thinking about adding two aired requirements, rear airbags and train horns. I leveled my truck and was thinking about doing a self leveling set up by adding airbags inside the springs to automatically level when I load the bed.

Also, living in Florida with all of the bad drivers, the standard horn doesn't appear to be loud enough as people ignore the horn and continue with their stupid movements even after nailing the horn.

Can a single compressor be used for both? What type of compressor will I need? Is self leveling even something I should look into, or will it cost more than it's worth?

grimreefer

U.S. Merchant Marine
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Installed Ram Air system and took top off old air box and put a floor in it for this. Other side has quick connect to use for normal air compressor stuff……oh yeah it makes train noises also!😂
Cleanest install I've seen... :geek: I'm jealous. Is that floor custom or can it be bought?

Rock Crawler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have an on-board air kit from Timber Grove for my air bags that fits inside the front bumper. Probably would not be hard to fab up something similar with your own compressor and small air tank.

IMG_2868.jpeg IMG_2876.jpeg IMG_2878.jpeg

Rock Crawler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm new to this concept but was thinking about adding two aired requirements, rear airbags and train horns. I leveled my truck and was thinking about doing a self leveling set up by adding airbags inside the springs to automatically level when I load the bed.
Is self leveling even something I should look into, or will it cost more than it's worth?

You can have one compressor that feeds a single air tank with multiple bungs for different outputs. Airbags that go inside the springs only expand to keep the spring from compressing. They will not raise the back of the truck. Now, if you air them up first, and then add the weight, the spring will not compress as much. If you want the ability to actually raise the rear of your truck after the weight has been added, you will need real air bags like the Timber Grove bags. You can add his on-board air kit so you can remotely adjust ride height, or you can just run the airlines somewhere convenient where you can air them up with a hose. All of his stuff is stainless, high quality and bolt-on. You’re going to pay a premium price, but it’s the only way to do it right. As far as self-leveling goes, it’s pretty much a fantasy. I won’t go into it here, but you can check out my build page to read about it.

Bags

19'-20' RAM 1500 — Timber Grove Enterprises, LLC

On-Board Air

Rock Crawler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Timber Grove has a compressor setup that goes in the floor bins, if you have them.

Users who are viewing this thread