5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dash Lighting Brightness - Far too dim

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The knob goblins that develop this **** never have to use it obviously. Either they are chauffeured everywhere or driving something made by the krauts

bullitt_60

Reaction score
There is a light sensor on the dash. How hard would it be for the sensor to actually be part of the light programming to determine lights on, but bright outside, leave dash lighting in day mode. We've been complaining about this since 2019, so after 5 years, I'm not too hopeful that RAM cares to do anything about this.
They must have corrected it as I have a '24 Laramie and my truck does this. Sometimes it takes too long for the interior lights to switch over at dusk though. During daytime rain, the only way I know the lights are on is the light in the gauge cluster.

Oldphart

Reaction score
I usually keep the wheel bumped up against the detent. As others have said full up at night should have a warning to wear a welders mask, never use it. My issue is the reflection off the side window. I live in the Styx and street lights are few and far between. When I make a left to turn onto my street, I have to either roll down the window or turn the dimmer down all the way; otherwise I can't see if anything is in the way.

SkittleRam

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What was more baffling is that when I got my brand new Ford Explorer XLT it didn't have a remote garage door opener on the visor :ROFLMAO:

First world problems.
Same! We bought a new 2017 Exp XLT w/ the Sport Appearance Pk, pretty much loaded, sunroof, AWD, 2nd Row buckets, etc. So I never even looked for the garage remote opener, I just made the poor assumption that it would have it. Yeah that was a shocker when I got home, wife was a little peeved. Anyhow I bought a used sunviser with Homelink and all was well in the world :ROFLMAO:

OCD Solutions

Reaction score
The ambient lighting was much better in my 17 RAM than my 19 so I upgraded my ambient LED boards to Paragoptics Blue. Not a cheap upgrade but I love the effect and they are plenty bright enough. I believe they offer it in an RGBW kit now rather than just a single color option.

IIRC, the chip shortage also meant that 2020 and newer trucks also had fewer ambient lights than previous models which is why owners of earlier models had fewer complaints.

The hardware override doesn't work since these are LED driver boards rather than a dimmable bulb. IMG_3250.JPG

BlueHemi1500

Reaction score
My RAM doesn't have one either.
Could your truck have been shorted the parts due to the parts shortage associated with the Pandemic, it may have been noted on the window sticker that the parts were deleted with a credit. Just a WAG.

BlueHemi1500

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Could your truck have been shorted the parts due to the parts shortage associated with the Pandemic, it may have been noted on the window sticker that the parts were deleted with a credit. Just a WAG.

BlueHemi1500

Quite likely it was a pandemic victim.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
IIRC the BCM communicates with the IPC via data-bus, so a no go on that.
So ... if the Instrument Panel knows how to do this under command ... does it know how to do other illumination levels that are just not being used by the current BCM firmware? It's a long way to go, but just for theory sake, could a bus buffer/translator be inserted to re-map some illumination levels? :unsure:

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So ... if the Instrument Panel knows how to do this under command ... does it know how to do other illumination levels that are just not being used by the current BCM firmware? It's a long way to go, but just for theory sake, could a bus buffer/translator be inserted to re-map some illumination levels? :unsure:
I don`t know off the hand, have to look into that, or might be easier to just buy a ford...

Users who are viewing this thread