We’ve shown you what the third generation 3.0-liter EcoDiesel V6 would look like and we’ve shown you the EcoDiesel badges for the 2020 Ram 1500, but now Ram Trucks has released the details of its new third-generation EcoDiesel lineup for the 2020 Ram 1500 pickups. That’s right; the wait is over.
The third generation of Ram’s 3.0-liter EcoDiesel V6 delivers increased horsepower and torque, with an 8% increase in horsepower with 260 horsepower at 3,600 rpm and a best-in-class 480 lb.-ft of torque at 1,600 rpm. That torque number is up 14% over the second generation 3.0-liter EcoDiesel V6, which is currently still available in select models of the Ram 1500 Classic.
For the 2020 model year, Ram made several significant changes that contribute to the new EcoDiesel’s improved dynamic and fuel economy performance…
- A new-generation water-cooled turbocharger with variable geometry turbine (VGT) increases efficiency and responsiveness during transient conditions.
- Redesigned intake ports on the cylinder heads improve swirl and flow, increasing performance and fuel economy.
- The exhaust gas recirculation system design (EGR) has been updated to a dual loop (low and high pressure) system. The added low-pressure circulation system draws gases after the diesel particulate filter, thus minimizing turbocharger energy losses; this increases fuel economy.
- The compression ratio has been bumped from 16.0:1, from 16.5:1.
- High pressure (29,000 psi/2,000 bar) direct injection fuel injector nozzles were redesigned to match the newly designed and optimized combustion chamber.
- Lightweight aluminum alloy pistons were completely redesigned to include thinner rings and low-friction coating on the pin and side skirts to reduce friction based losses.
- NVH has been reduced by offsetting the piston pin by 0.3 millimeters from the centerline – thus minimizing mechanical noises.
- The lower portion of the two-piece oil sump uses a lightweight sandwiched polymer/metal material that further reduces noise, vibration, and harshness (NVH).
- The dual vacuum pump system uses electric and a new mechanical low-friction pump with new blades that improve overall system efficiency.
The third generation 3.0-liter EcoDiesel V6 uses dual overhead camshafts (DOHC) with four valves per cylinder and a 60-degree angle between the cylinder banks. The block is cast with compacted graphite iron, which provides strength to dampen vibrations but weighs less than traditional grey cast iron. A compacted graphite iron bedplate also adds rigidity to the block. The EcoDiesel also uses a forged steel crankshaft and connecting rods for strength and durability, while aluminum alloy pistons are cooled on the underside via oil jets. Heat-treated aluminum cylinder heads use individual bearing caps to reduce friction and minimize NVH, and chain-driven overhead camshafts employ roller-finger followers.
This means not only a more efficient EcoDiesel for the 2020 Ram 1500 but a much more capable one. The third generation EcoDiesel has a towing capability of up to 12,560 pounds (1,160 pounds more than the F-150’s PowerStroke V6 is rated at).
2020 Ram 1500 Limited EcoDiesel. (Ram). The 2020 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel is also expected to lead the segment on fuel economy. With options like the class-exclusive air suspension, the new, more efficient EcoDiesel should have no problem besting the competition.
“The new Ram 1500 EcoDiesel is America’s most powerful half-ton diesel pickup, following up on Ram’s Heavy Duty torque leadership and achieving what no other manufacturer has, with up to 480 lb.-ft. of torque in a 3.0-liter engine,” said Reid Bigland, Head of Ram Brand. “The all-new EcoDiesel engine and our eTorque mild-hybrid powertrain technologies deliver the highest available fuel efficiency for our Ram 1500 customers.”
What is really exciting about the EcoDiesel offerings for the 2020 Ram 1500, is that the diesel powertrain will be available on every trim level, including the 2020 Ram 1500 Rebel. Yes, it doesn’t matter if you order a work truck-based Tradesman model, the luxury-oriented Laramie Longhorn, or the off-road-based Rebel package, the 2020 Ram 1500 will have the EcoDiesel available as an option.
The 2020 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel will go on sale in the fourth quarter of 2019. Pricing and fuel economy ratings will be announced closer to launch. Stay tuned to 5thGenRams.com for all the latest 2020 Ram 1500 information.