Stellantis (FCA US, LLC) is recalling approximately 131,700 units of their 2021 Ram 1500 pickups equipped with 5.7-liter (345 cubic-inch) HEMI® V8 with the eTorque mild-hybrid system.
The reason behind the recall is the vehicle’s powertrain control module (PCM) software, which may cause an incorrect fuel mixture condition, resulting in an engine stall.
The suspect period began on June 3rd, 2020, when the 2021 Ram 1500 began, and ended on September 12th, 2021, when production of the 2021 Ram 1500 ended. The suspect period was determined using vehicle manufacturing records.
An engine stall can increase the risk of a crash.
- On January 20th, 2023, the FCA US LLC (“FCA US”) Technical Safety and Regulatory Compliance (“TSRC”) organization opened an investigation into the 2021 Ram 1500 equipped with the 5.7L eTorque engine for a potential stall condition while driving.
- From January 2023 through March 2023, FCA US TSRC analyzed stall patterns and vehicle history and determined that the affected vehicles were equipped with powertrain control module software which was the origin of the stalls.
- As of March 30th, 2023, FCA US is aware of 206 customer records, 636 warranty claims, and 53 field reports potentially related to this issue for all markets, with receipt dates ranging from October 8th, 2020, through March 28th, 2023.
- As of March 30th, 2023, FCA US is aware of one accident and zero injuries potentially related to this issue for all markets.
- On April 6th, 2023, FCA US determined, through the Vehicle Regulations Committee, to conduct a voluntary safety recall of the affected vehicles.
Dealers will update the PCM calibration software free of charge. Owner notification letters are expected to be mailed on June 2nd, 2023. Owners may contact FCA US, LLC customer service at 1-800-853-1403. FCA US, LLC’s number for this recall is 37A.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153) or to www.nhtsa.gov.
You must be logged in to post a comment.