5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ZF 8HP75: Instead of top-gear limit, manumatic shift?

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Forgive me if this has been discussed, but I did a search and could not find it.

Currently, the ZF 8HP75 can have the top gear limited by a steering wheel switch. I can select 7 as the top gear, or even 5 or lower. The transmission will remain in a gear lower than that limit.

I understand how that feature prevents gear-hunt in hilly terrain or when towing (or both).

I get it.

The ZF 8 is a hugely successful transmission used in a wide variety of vehicles. (Modular design for different torque needs and computer controlled.)

With all the computer tech and modules used to control the various parts of a modern car, has anyone successfully used AlfaOBD (or something else) to enable the steering wheel switch to be used as a manumatic shifter?

I ask, because I am able to manually control my other vehicles' transmissions in this manner. (Three different manufacturers.) It is not needed, but it is nice to have.

Thanks,
Ken

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I think with the TRX and the paddle shifters, we should be able to retrofit something. There are so many other vehicles that didn't have paddle shift and were able to retrofit them since some variant within the make would have them, such as various BMWs, VWs, Toyotas, Dodges, etc.

This would likely mean buying the steering wheel with the paddles and also a module. Somebody is going to do it, they will post it on a forum and then we can all copy it.

Last edited:
Reactions: c3k

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
from what I gathered on the hptuners forums, you would need a different tcm/ecm operating system that supports the features..the truck tcm/ecm OS do not have support for auto stick, just ers (electronic range selection). right now even if you add the paddle shifters, it will just act like the ers feature. I dont think we can flash a new TCM os, so we would need to swap a TCM from a supported vehicle.

Reactions: ouv

ouv

Reaction score
from what I gathered on the hptuners forums, you would need a different tcm/ecm operating system that supports the features..the truck tcm/ecm OS do not have support for auto stick, just ers (electronic range selection). right now even if you add the paddle shifters, it will just act like the ers feature. I dont think we can flash a new TCM os, so we would need to swap a TCM from a supported vehicle.
That would make sense. But the vehicles that have the feature have sport/track etc pages. Or is that just a radio thing? Wonder if specific solenoids from like a jeep srt would help at all

n8zcc

Reaction score
With all the computer tech and modules used to control the various parts of a modern car, has anyone successfully used AlfaOBD (or something else) to enable the steering wheel switch to be used as a manumatic shifter?
My 2022 ED has this feature, it came as part of the GDE engine/transmission tune. You may want to contact them and see if they offer the tranny tune alone and for other than the ED engine.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Check and see if the Tazer can do it. I asked them for this two years ago because the gear lockout feature is stupid, manual shifting would actually be useful. At the time the Tazer couldn't do it but they may have that updated now.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My 2022 ED has this feature, it came as part of the GDE engine/transmission tune. You may want to contact them and see if they offer the tranny tune alone and for other than the ED engine.
^This is all that’s available right now. I asked the owner of GDE in February to ask if he’d sell the trans tune by itself, and he said no. Who knows, maybe he has since changed his mind.

Check and see if the Tazer can do it. I asked them for this two years ago because the gear lockout feature is stupid, manual shifting would actually be useful. At the time the Tazer couldn't do it but they may have that updated now.
I wish tazer or alfa could do it, but they can’t.

Users who are viewing this thread