5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wrong trailer size indicator?

Bradleys

Reaction score
I was pulling my 16 foot trailer for the first time and when I started off the truck showed me a 30 foot trailer icon. On the way back it changed to a 20 foot trailer icon.

how does the truck determine the size of the trailer? And should I be concerned that it got it wrong?

note: i installed the brake controller, but have not programmed the entertainment system yet.

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was pulling my 16 foot trailer for the first time and when I started off the truck showed me a 30 foot trailer icon. On the way back it changed to a 20 foot trailer icon.

how does the truck determine the size of the trailer? And should I be concerned that it got it wrong?

note: i installed the brake controller, but have not programmed the entertainment system yet.
It detects your trailer length when you make a turn. If you want it to recognize your trailer length immediately; then you need to do both a left and a right turn (or drive it around in circles in a parking lot or something). It will default at 30 feet until it can determine your trailer length. It changed to 20 feet on the way back because it finally detected your trailer length: 20 feet would be correct for a 16 foot trailer. I don't think you have anything to worry about; it seems like it is working as advertised.

Users who are viewing this thread