5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wireless charging pad.. red blinking light almost all the time?

Flot

Reaction score
To others with the wireless charging pad - if I had to estimate what the status of my light is:

When there is no phone on the pad:
- 95% of the time flashing red LED
- 5% of the time LED turned off

When I place my iphone on the pad just right:
- 50% of the time blue charging LED
- 45% of the time red flashing LED (occasionally turns blue after 5-30 seconds)
- 5% of the time, LED turned off

I ASSUME that the default state should be NO LED, and the red blinking should only occur when a phone is inserted but charging handshake failed.

The real curiosity is the red flashing LED when there is nothing inserted in the phone holder. Feels like it is sensing a phone which isn't there, and then flashing red since charging isn't synced. Are others seeing the same behavior? I have multiple cheapo home wireless chargers and don't have any issues with them.

Twoamen

Reaction score
If there isn't a phone in the charger cradle there should not be any lights on the charger. You have to have the phone on the portion that is distinct lookin from the wide cradle slots. To close to the led (red flash) and I think it is steady blue (charging) and green or off if (charged) so take it back to dealer.

Flot

Reaction score
If there isn't a phone in the charger cradle there should not be any lights on the charger.

That's my assumption. It does work fine about half the time when the phone is centered on the charging area. But almost all the rest of the time, blinking red light.

76rich

Reaction score
I'm getting a blinking red light after about three minutes of putting the phone in place. I have an Iphone SE and I have no idea if it accepts cord free battery charging or not. I have removed the rubber cover and positioned my phone every which way possible. But as I said, I just get a red blinking light.

Aaron Beck

Reaction score
I'm getting a blinking red light after about three minutes of putting the phone in place. I have an Iphone SE and I have no idea if it accepts cord free battery charging or not. I have removed the rubber cover and positioned my phone every which way possible. But as I said, I just get a red blinking light.

No it does not, sorry I have the same phone.

Wxgs333

Reaction score
If you have a cable near that area, it could interference the charger. I had a usbC to usbC cable routed around the slot on top of the wireless charger the other day without connecting to anything, and the indicator just flashed red when my phone was in place. As soon as I removed the cable, phone just charged fine with solid blue.

slimchance

Reaction score
in my wife's truck, we have a CB radio standing upright against the charging cradle, IF i lay the mic between the cradle and the top of the charger with the mic facing the charging unit the red lite flashes, IF i lay the mic in the same location and have the hanging post toward the top of the charger the red lite does not flash ... it seems like the charging unit is seeing the magnet in the mic

Reaction score
To others with the wireless charging pad - if I had to estimate what the status of my light is:

When there is no phone on the pad:
- 95% of the time flashing red LED
- 5% of the time LED turned off

When I place my iphone on the pad just right:
- 50% of the time blue charging LED
- 45% of the time red flashing LED (occasionally turns blue after 5-30 seconds)
- 5% of the time, LED turned off

I ASSUME that the default state should be NO LED, and the red blinking should only occur when a phone is inserted but charging handshake failed.

The real curiosity is the red flashing LED when there is nothing inserted in the phone holder. Feels like it is sensing a phone which isn't there, and then flashing red since charging isn't synced. Are others seeing the same behavior? I have multiple cheapo home wireless chargers and don't have any issues with them.
Mine flashes red 5-10 times daily with no change in phone position. Were you able to get this rectified? My dealer says can’t duplicate or waiting for MoCo software update.

Flot

Reaction score
I was not able to get this fixed yet. Took to the dealer 3 weeks ago along with a small list of other things, they told me "good news, we reset the unit and now it is working fine."

Picked up the truck and as soon as I drove off the lot the red light started flashing again.

Dealer wants the truck back to diagnose, which I don't intend to do until the 2 new recalls are out there.

Looking at the unit (and knowing how wireless charging works) the only thing that makes any sense is that the charger itself is defective, or it is poorly installed/something is between the charger and the faceplate. It doesn't seem likely, but I may have a look to see if somehow the charger is poorly oriented (which seems impossible since the light is aligned).

To amend my original complaint: 85% of the time, when the phone is aligned, it charges properly. However, when there is no phone inserted at all, the red light is blinking almost constantly. The latter is what I would like resolved.

Also should point out, I know how to use a wireless charger - I have 4 cheapo $20 wireless chargers at my office and home, and they charge properly every time as long as the phone is reasonably well aligned.

Last edited:

Han Ridge

Reaction score
You are probably doing this but .... My Samsung 7 has to be past the long in screen for the pad to charge. If the phone is locked the pad will not charge.

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That sucks that it blinks red with nothing placed in front of it. Mine blinks red if not able to connect to phone, blue solid if it does, dark...no light with nothing in the charge position

Kidder

Reaction score
That sucks that it blinks red with nothing placed in front of it. Mine blinks red if not able to connect to phone, blue solid if it does, dark...no light with nothing in the charge position
And green when fully charged

slimchance

Reaction score
i installed a cb radio upright leaning against the automatic charger holder, when i lay the microphone against the charging unit with the flat side (front of the microphone) facing the charger the red light comes on and stays on .. when i lay the microphone against the charging unit with the hanger bracket facing the charger the red light does NOT go on .... i think the charger is turned on sensing the magnet in the microphone

MikeDillon

Reaction score
Mine wont start to charge until 'warmed up' if the truck hasn't been running for about half an hour it wont work. Does nothing.????

Flot

Reaction score
Mine wont start to charge until 'warmed up' if the truck hasn't been running for about half an hour it wont work. Does nothing.????

that isn’t right. After THREE trips to the dealer, they managed to fix mine. Now it charges as expected - blue flashing light within a second or two of putting the phone in the right position. No lights with no phone inserted.

MikeDillon

Reaction score
that isn’t right. After THREE trips to the dealer, they managed to fix mine. Now it charges as expected - blue flashing light within a second or two of putting the phone in the right position. No lights with no phone inserted.
When it does work. It all works properly. Blue light charging. Green when done. No light when no phone in. Has lost connection couple times and flashes red.

Baron74

Reaction score
When it does work. It all works properly. Blue light charging. Green when done. No light when no phone in. Has lost connection couple times and flashes red.

My charger is glitchy too. No red lights when no phone in the cradle but sometimes I have to take the phone out and replace it a couple times for it to stop blinking red and connect.

Users who are viewing this thread