5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Winter tire sizing suggestions?

kyleedwards28

Reaction score
Im looking to pick up a set of winter rated alloys and winter tires for my ram and wondering if anyone had any suggestions on sizing?
I ran a set of 265/70R17's on my old ram in the winter time

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As a former northern Minnesotan, I have lots of opinions on the topic. Where will you be driving is a big question, as specific recommendations would differ for ice, snow, extreme cold or mixed.

In general, I am a fan of the Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V2. I ran Blizzak's on several cars/SUV's over the years and was very impressed. The current truck model, the DM-VS comes in 18, 20 and 22" (275 x 45/55/65 depending on your wheels).

The 18" and 20" wheel/tire package were about $1750.-1800 with TPMS.

petersandler

Reaction score
As a former northern Minnesotan, I have lots of opinions on the topic. Where will you be driving is a big question, as specific recommendations would differ for ice, snow, extreme cold or mixed.

In general, I am a fan of the Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V2. I ran Blizzak's on several cars/SUV's over the years and was very impressed. The current truck model, the DM-VS comes in 18, 20 and 22" (275 x 45/55/65 depending on your wheels).

The 18" and 20" wheel/tire package were about $1750.-1800 with TPMS.
Can't believe this thread had so little interest. So many people misunderstand the whole premise that winter tires are designed for different purposes - heavy snow, ice, mixed conditions. All-seasons do nothing well. I always get a second set of rims, usually a set of "new" take-off OEM's and have snow tires mounted to them and then just changes the entire wheel sets back and forth in my driveway. Faster than going to the tire shop!

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'll second the advice from 356. I have been running the Blizzaks for 3 winters now after previously running M/S rated AT's and the Blizzaks have been great. I went with the same size as my OEM all seasons and don't recall exactly why as I would generally size down for more sidewall but it may have had to do with avail of wheels not sure. Have heard lots of good reviews on the Michelins as well bit the tires guys advised the Blizzaks for trucks over the Xice and they do look a bit more aggressive which I like. EDIT: noticed after the reply this is a very old thread but hopefully the info can still help someone.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220416-082251_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220416-082251_Chrome.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 4

41magmag41

Reaction score
I ran Falkin Wildpeaks A/T all year and found them excellent in snow and other extremes, I live in New Hampshire. It was also nice not to have to do the winter change over. Cost was the deciding factor in that I just installed a set of light truck geolanders a/ts. They are mountain peak certified so we will see this winter. Picked up the geolanders at discount warehouse for $180.00 a piece with all the discounts compared to $325.00 a piece for the Falkins.

Users who are viewing this thread