5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Winter front poor design

rtpassini

Reaction score
With the limiteds, you have to cut off the only mechanical part that really holds it in (velcro loop) on the bottom, you just stuff it between the grille and bumper. My slowly works its way out after just a few days. Terrible design. Any thoughts or insight? Different brand to use?

OCD Solutions

Reaction score
Are they still necessary with the active grill shudders?

I haven't needed one of these since I moved 3000 miles south but I always used the solid plastic or stainless kind on my Ram's from 95 to 2004. I never cared for the fit and finish of the fabric ones. It's disappointing that there doesn't seem to be a solid cover option yet.

Last edited:

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They are not necessary on the 5th gens. The manual states "can be used". I haven't used mine and Ive driven in -30°C

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

rtpassini

Reaction score
The manual says when under 20 F degrees. And we had Temps sustained with windchill -20 to -30 for a week so I put it on. Not to mention my fuel economy has been much better with regulating the temp it seems.

I paid for the additional package, I figured I would use it.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not how I read it. I've never had issues with it keeping warm etc in ambient temps as low as -30°C. Windchill doesn't count.

I believe the 4th gen trucks had issues with intercooler icing which is why is was mandatory on that truck below a certain temp.

79a600fc9c671f608c9f385861e1c0fd.jpg

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not how I read it. I've never had issues with it keeping warm etc in ambient temps as low as -30°C. Windchill doesn't count.

I believe the 4th gen trucks had issues with intercooler icing which is why is was mandatory on that truck below a certain temp.

The intercooler is in the always-open grille below where the cover sits.

I don't run a cover and it's certainly not needed. Yes, you'll retain heat and get better MPG. The active shutters do help, but they are not as effective as an actual cover. But these covers will tear the crap out of your paint/plastic underneath, especially on the gloss black grilles. I personally will not use one for that reason.

gorilla57

Reaction score
The intercooler is in the always-open grille below where the cover sits.

I don't run a cover and it's certainly not needed. Yes, you'll retain heat and get better MPG. The active shutters do help, but they are not as effective as an actual cover. But these covers will tear the crap out of your paint/plastic underneath, especially on the gloss black grilles. I personally will not use one for that reason.
Mine has active shutters in front of the intercooler, which are closed pretty often when not towing and when it's cold out.

Users who are viewing this thread