5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Windshield Tint Advisory

O Captain My Captian

Reaction score
So I am having PPF and Window tint put on our new truck (one week of ownership as of today)....I came across this warning and wanted to pass it along for anyone else considering tinting their windshield. The concern is water frying out the computer module that runs under the front dash on the driver's side. I've seen some posts on the other tinting threads here where people describe all kinds of electronic failures/system alerts. Some resolve over time as the unit likely dries out, some are permanent and require a new module. Save yourself the headache.

See the YouTube link below.

I am putting clear, UV/IR blocking tint on the windshield and 50% on the pano-roof. Front windows will get 70% (pushing PA state limits here), and clear UV/IR blocking tint on the rear windows. My installer will try to fit a shower cap over the module and will squeeze in as many extra absorbing materials as possible to minimize the risk. German cars have the same issue.

Don't lose $1000+ tinting your Ram 1500's Windshield

Last edited:

LM42

Reaction score
I had my front glass tinted and no issues. I could see that if your installer was a total clown this could happen. But tinting the windshield on ANY vehicle requires some protection not to get water in the dash. A professional installer should leave you with no worries.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Thats been discussed in the past, but a good reminder. Fortunately most reputable shops are aware of the RAM windshield issues now. Here’s 3 threads for your reading pleasure:

For those of you darkening your windshields, just be aware of what night driving will be like... it’s your choice but it’s also an increased hazard.
Just my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Thats been discussed in the past, but a good reminder. Fortunately most reputable shops are aware of the RAM windshield issues now. Here’s 3 threads for your reading pleasure:

For those of you darkening your windshields, just be aware of what night driving will be like... it’s your choice but it’s also an increased hazard.
Just my opinion.
Great advice. Thanks for sharing those.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Welcome. I saw your Tx remarks on one. Hows it been doing with what you chose on the windshield?
I don't have tint on the windshield. Just front windows.
A buddy of mine got it on his truck a couple of years ago, and there was slight distortion which put me off. Wondering if it goes away after a couple of weeks?

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
I don't have tint on the windshield. Just front windows.
A buddy of mine got it on his truck a couple of years ago, and there was slight distortion which put me off. Wondering if it goes away after a couple of weeks?
I have clear ceramic on the windshield and yes, there’s a slight distortion even with that. It bothers my eyes, but I wrote it off to age...

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I have clear ceramic on the windshield and yes, there’s a slight distortion even with that. It bothers my eyes, but I wrote it off to age...
Got it. Thanks.
Guess I'll keep using my sunshade when parking :)

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Got it. Thanks.
Guess I'll keep using my sunshade when parking :)
I’d recommend the clear ceramic, there’s a noticeable heat reduction and since I have not done the ac hack, it is good. I won’t darken the windshield like I see others doing, partly due to tint laws, mostly due to vision at night.

The tint laws are regularly ignored here in NC, I asked a tint shop about it, the installer said that it was more the inspection place that was on the hook for legal liability instead of him. He said there was a waiver he used to make sure people knew of the legal limits, so I suppose he’d put 5% limo on the windshield if you signed the waiver and paid for it. Stupid but that’s what he thinks is ok. In NC it’s not a “primary” cause for a stop (from what I have read) but I don’t like giving them an obvious reason.

Lastly, where I work(ed) I see a lot of vehicles parked in the lot, some are so dark that as an LEO I wouldn’t be able to see a thing inside, if the person had a machine gun pointed at them or a water pistol. Dangerous.

PorBoy

Reaction score
Our three better tint shops around here will NOT do the front windshield on these 5th gen Ram. Too much of a liability they state and not worth the hassle...

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Our three better tint shops around here will NOT do the front windshield on these 5th gen Ram. Too much of a liability they state and not worth the hassle...
Because of the electronics under the dash I presume?

PorBoy

Reaction score
Yes sir, the one shop did a Rebel and even with the padding they add the electronic still went batsh**. So after that their insurance won’t cover damages associated with tinting the front windshield.

KcRay

Reaction score
Speaking of "tinting", does anyone know the actual percentage of the rear doors window tint? A real measurement done with an electronic device, not just some guy that looks at it and says it's 20% or whatever.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
IDK. Tried searching on my service manual w/o any hits.
In my estimation, it's a tad under 20%. See my truck below with 20% fronts:

F46DBE74-E689-4DEC-882B-8D92F6D98E83.jpeg

sparkygreen

Reaction score
They tell me they measured my rear windows at 25% before doing my tint. I didn't see the meter, but I assume they are telling the truth.

I did 50% over the rears and 20% on the front doors and it matched perfectly.

Good luck.

Scott_65

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’d recommend the clear ceramic, there’s a noticeable heat reduction and since I have not done the ac hack, it is good. I won’t darken the windshield like I see others doing, partly due to tint laws, mostly due to vision at night.

The tint laws are regularly ignored here in NC, I asked a tint shop about it, the installer said that it was more the inspection place that was on the hook for legal liability instead of him. He said there was a waiver he used to make sure people knew of the legal limits, so I suppose he’d put 5% limo on the windshield if you signed the waiver and paid for it. Stupid but that’s what he thinks is ok. In NC it’s not a “primary” cause for a stop (from what I have read) but I don’t like giving them an obvious reason.

Lastly, where I work(ed) I see a lot of vehicles parked in the lot, some are so dark that as an LEO I wouldn’t be able to see a thing inside, if the person had a machine gun pointed at them or a water pistol. Dangerous.
Here in SC the shop I use there’s no waiver to sign but you have to pay cash to do the illegal stuff and they’ll accept debit/credit on the legal stuff.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Here in SC the shop I use there’s no waiver to sign but you have to pay cash to do the illegal stuff and they’ll accept debit/credit on the legal stuff.
Ha ha, that’s great. “...pay cash for to do the illegal stuff...”. And here I thought that cash was “dirty” and carried the virus.
I keep offering to take people’s dirty, virus infested money, though I’d rather have Benjamins than Washington’s...

Ellisstrong

Reaction score
A great tint shop here in Tampa Bay Area did my windshield and took all the necessary precautions and I had no issue at all with any electronics but he wouldn’t tint my Pano roof

Kob0583

Reaction score
First shop I hit wouldn’t do it because of the issue, then found a shop in St. Augustine that was fully aware of the issue and said it wasn’t a problem let me watch. Had the dash well covered and was more careful with the water usage. Said he has done plenty without issue said you just have to be careful. Does the pano roofs too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread