5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Windshield Replacement

Reaction score
Question for the pros. I had a rock hit and crack my windshield and it needs to be replaced. Insurance is taking care of it and has hooked me up with a glass installer. I told them I only wanted OEM replacement, and was told it could only be replaced with OEM due to humidity sensor and other accessories and then would have to be recalibrate. So I was good with that. They told me it would have to be ordered and probably wouldn’t be in until next week. Good with that also. Now I just got a call from the installer and they told me it would be the end of August before windshield would be in, but could get a Mopar replacement next week. What is the difference in OEM and Mopar? I thought Mopar was OEM? She told me the Mopar would be Blue along the top and that would be the only difference. I’m very confused. I can wait until August for the OEM if there is a difference. Advice please.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Mopar and OEM are the same thing. Also, I have aftermarket glass in mine with no issues with all the sensors mounted.

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Agree...MOPAR is OEM. Maybe she mixed her words and meant 'aftermarket'. Not sure about the blue strip...that seems odd. I'd ask for clarification on that. I was in the same situation and couldn't wait for OEM, as this happened on vacation far from home. I had an aftermarket windshield installed and it is perfectly fine. The issue was discussed here...if you care to read all about it!

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Agree...MOPAR is OEM. Maybe she mixed her words and meant 'aftermarket'. Not sure about the blue strip...that seems odd. I'd ask for clarification on that. I was in the same situation and couldn't wait for OEM, as this happened on vacation far from home. I had an aftermarket windshield installed and it is perfectly fine. The issue was discussed here...if you care to read all about it!
My assumptions is that the blue at the top is tint, not an actual blue strip.

Tinted windshield.JPG

djjr50

Reaction score
I am in week 6 of waiting for an OEM replacement, but I have a limited and I am worried about accepting a non-OEM.

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I am in week 6 of waiting for an OEM replacement, but I have a limited and I am worried about accepting a non-OEM.
I have a Laramie with all the safety and sensor crap. We have the same windshield. The aftermarket works fine. Since you've waited this long it seems waiting longer is no issue for you. It was for me, so my hand was forced, but it worked out just fine. Don't be afraid of reputable aftermarket glass...

djjr50

Reaction score
I have a Laramie with all the safety and sensor crap. We have the same windshield. The aftermarket works fine. Since you've waited this long it seems waiting longer is no issue for you. It was for me, so my hand was forced, but it worked out just fine. Don't be afraid of reputable aftermarket glass...
Do you have the lane keep camera?

djjr50

Reaction score
I will consider the non-OEM and see what my options are.

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I’m not sure what week I am on waiting but I’m still waiting on an OEM windshield as well. Not sure why it’s taking so long but I’m in no real rush.

djjr50

Reaction score
Safelite told me there isn't any windshield available.. non-OEM nor OEM. Said they have been on backorder since August 2020 due to pandemic related supply issues.

ijanderson29

Reaction score
Not sure where everyone is located but I got an OEM windshield yesterday from my dealership last minute with no problem (Northern Virginia). Ram logo in the corner and had my truck back the same day as request.

Amerinamese

Reaction score
I tried to get an OEE one yesterday for $260 installed. None available in my area. Have to get an OEM one for $900.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Seems the glass industry lies almost as well as the car sales industry. My installer last month told me the folks who answer the phone lie all the time to intentionally inflate the prices.

That’s why I NEVER utilize Safelite but instead have my own Mom & Pop company who treats customers fairly. He got my windshield in 1/2 a day from the warehouse with zero issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/