5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Winch mounts?

Couchsachraga

Reaction score
I'd like to get a winch on my truck before winter gets here (of course, first I need the truck to be delivered;) ), but haven't seen too many winch mounts for the 2019's yet (only a few bumpers that may or may not fit for a 2019 model year). In the past I've had home made and ARB bull bars for the winch mount, I'd prefer a hidden mount with factory bumper this time around if such a thing exists - if you've seen one please post here, or if you have a good solid brand you'd recommend please post here as well (I'm coming from the Land Rover world, so though I've heard a lot of the names (Smittybuilt, etc...) I'm less familiar with what just plan works (what I care about ) vs what just looks good.

Thank you for any and all thoughts!

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
One has to wonder if the winch mount for the Powerwagon would work. Well, they did something with the frame rails up front.

You would think, though, that Mopar would have planned for a winch to go on this...but I am not sure even the 4th Gen had one available.

Couchsachraga

Reaction score
My assumption is the frame would be different (1/2 ton vs 3/4 ton), though it can of course be modified.

I'm assuming AEV will come out with something, but probably a full bumper (others will too I"m sure) and I'm more interested in just a winch (vehicle I just moved on had a full ARB bull bar and winch... bull bar / bumper was never really that useful to me, and I found I rarely used the extra lights (headlights have come a long way!). The winch was rebuilt once and I found tremendously useful over the 11 years I had that vehicle. I ended up keeping the winch, so I may go through it and put it on the Ram if it fits (9k Warn winch, so just barely big enough, though my use is generally winching trees and other equipment NOT the truck thankfully!)

Briencrotty

Reaction score
I've talked to Vice Designs, and they're still working on a design for the winch bumper for the 2019 Rebel, as well as a winch mount that would use the factory bumper. The guy I talked to estimated that it would be done in the next month or so. I'm definitely eager for it!

B

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score
I'm in the same boat and have been researching it. Don't really want a full bumper and the extra weight that comes along with it. My ideal setup would be to retain the OEM bumper and do a hidden winch behind it. The power wagon winch mount did not bolt-on to the 1500 in previous gens. I assume that's the case with the new gens as well. I found plenty of "universal" winch mounts for a hidden install. Something I will tackle this year. Google will find you some how-to projects on 1500s and some other vehicles using the universal mounts.

I'll end up removing the OEM air dam completely and probably trimming some of the bumper to get additional ground clearance. Should be more than enough for any trouble I'm going to get into with my 2" lift and 35" tires.

Unfortunately, most of my DIY projects are on hold though until my house is finished over the next two months.

I've talked to Vice Designs, and they're still working on a design for the winch bumper for the 2019 Rebel, as well as a winch mount that would use the factory bumper. The guy I talked to estimated that it would be done in the next month or so. I'm definitely eager for it!

B

Please update this post when you hear more about the mount!

Briencrotty

Reaction score
I'm in the same boat and have been researching it. Don't really want a full bumper and the extra weight that comes along with it. My ideal setup would be to retain the OEM bumper and do a hidden winch behind it. The power wagon winch mount did not bolt-on to the 1500 in previous gens. I assume that's the case with the new gens as well. I found plenty of "universal" winch mounts for a hidden install. Something I will tackle this year. Google will find you some how-to projects on 1500s and some other vehicles using the universal mounts.

I'll end up removing the OEM air dam completely and probably trimming some of the bumper to get additional ground clearance. Should be more than enough for any trouble I'm going to get into with my 2" lift and 35" tires.

Unfortunately, most of my DIY projects are on hold though until my house is finished over the next two months.

Please update this post when you hear more about the mount!
I certainly will! I'm going to call them in about a week or two and see if they've got any news.

B

Mighty Snowpants

Reaction score
As for AEV, when I asked about products - wheels, bumpers ,winch plates, suspensions- the response I got back was “it’s gonna be awhile- we are concentrating on the wrangler JL and then the Gladiator.” It took them a whole year to announce JL products and then another 6 to release those. I think they make great stuff but.....

RamSco

Reaction score
Fab Fours has a good looking bumper for those not looking to use stock. They have a nice matching rear bumper too.

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's apparently possible to do it with at least the stock Rebel bumper. From the TV show on Netflix Northern Rescue.

So who wants to give the producers a call and track down that Rebel to see who/how they got that winch mount to fit?

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There is a big empty void behind that space, I'm sure something could be fabricated up.
I havent gotten behind there myself yet; thinking to take a crack at it this weekend and see what I can mock up with some cardboard. Not sure yet of which winch I would go with yet either...

Maybe i'll measure & mock up the overall volume and possible fairlead & wiring points and go from there

Couchsachraga

Reaction score
Lots of room for sure.

I ended up putting a front hitch on - not the greatest for real offload adventures, but at least I can keep the winch out of the salt now. The CURT front hitch will fit with a little modification (adding spacers mostly), or removing the factory tow hooks.

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Lots of room for sure.

I ended up putting a front hitch on - not the greatest for real offload adventures, but at least I can keep the winch out of the salt now. The CURT front hitch will fit with a little modification (adding spacers mostly), or removing the factory tow hooks.

I wish I could run a front hitch with a hidden receiver; alas, not much I can do with the front skid plate of the rebel (unless the current crop of hitches hangs below the bottom of the plate? wishful thinking but I doubt it)

Viper67

Reaction score
Same with me. And I want the stock bumper due to paint matched. Talked to the guy for 30 minutes. They are good guys. There is a video on you tube.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online