5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will a burnt bulb throw a CEL?

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Just got a check engine light. Hooked up the code reader and it says N/A. Truck runs fine too. The only thing I noticed is that there is a burnt bed light (by the third brake light). Would this cause a CEL? Thanks

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
Is it actually the Check Engine Light? A blown bulb should illuminate a light on the dash that looks like a horseshoe and or an actual message on the display indicating a bulb failure.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I believe so. It looks like this. But no code just N/A

BB4053EC-4870-463F-A248-97CDE71CC0DF.jpeg

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
thats definitely the check engine light but I wouldn’t have thought a burnt out light would cause it .
I wouldn’t either. Just thought I’d ask since newer vehicles do things out of the ordinary. Guess I can replace the bulb to see what happens. Thanks

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
I wouldn’t either. Just thought I’d ask since newer vehicles do things out of the ordinary. Guess I can replace the bulb to see what happens. Thanks
A warning light yes but no engine light. Unless of course it's some new "feature".

What scan tool did you use and have you used it on this truck before? Some older cheap code readers may not be compatible with CAN-BUS systems

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
A warning light yes but no engine light. Unless of course it's some new "feature".

What scan tool did you use and have you used it on this truck before? Some older cheap code readers may not be compatible with CAN-BUS systems
It is a cheaper code reader, which I’ve used before on my truck to read an evap small leak code a few weeks ago. Here is the one I have.
F53830BE-AA91-4C52-85CD-DE07FA7E1A8F.jpeg

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
That code reader may not read the code if it's a manufacturer code specific to that vehicle. For shiznits and giggles go to your local auto parts store and have them scan it. They usually do it for free. If they can read it, write down the entire code and have them clear it

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Well, I started the truck this morning and the CEL is off. Also the bulb is back on! 🤷🏻‍♂️

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
To test the theory, guess I’d have to remove the bulb and see if the CEL comes back.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Well, the bulb went out again, but no CEL. I tapped on the third brake light and the bulb started working again.

when I plug my tester in now, it still says there is an active fault N/A 01/01z no pending faults.
Not sure why there is no CEL if I have an active fault.
Any ideas?
Thanks

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
Well, the bulb went out again, but no CEL. I tapped on the third brake light and the bulb started working again.

when I plug my tester in now, it still says there is an active fault N/A 01/01z no pending faults.
Not sure why there is no CEL if I have an active fault.
Any ideas?
Thanks
Did you put LED bulbs in? They have been known to cause issues

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
No sir. All stock bulbs.
I would start by replacing the bulbs. While you have the light assembly out check the harness connector for any corrosion. Clean it as needed and apply a little dielectric grease to the terminals and plug it in and if it happens again

Users who are viewing this thread