5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WiFi issue

guyutethepig

Reaction score
Ok - I have a really weird issue - I just got my 2019 Laramie delivered and it has the 12 inch Uconnect. I have my Wifi hooked up with an unlimited ATT plan. Every device I have tried to connect to it works like a charm - except one.

I have a DAP (digital audio player) that I use for my hi resolution audio - it runs Android 5.1.1. I don't have everything downloaded on it so I have to stream a bunch of it - but I can't get the unit to even see the truck's WiFi hotspot. The unit can see and connect to any other wifi connections, and every other device I have (Galaxy phone running Android, iPad, Microsoft surface book 2) can see and connect to the truck's wifi - but these two simply won't even acknowledge that the other exists!

Any thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

19RamLimited

Ram Guru
Reaction score
most likely because the wifi is 5ghz only will not work with items that are 2.4 ghz

I figured this out with my radar detector.

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
is it a WEP / WPA / WPA-2 issue?
I remember my son had a PSP and I had to back off my home wifi to allow his device to connect (it was older security technology).

guyutethepig

Reaction score
Actually think I found the answer - because my DAP was manufactured in China and purchased from a Chinese seller, the 5ghz channel is set to something diff than what the hotspot is using - so I need to figure out how to get into the hotspot settings to change the channel

Anyone know how to do this? I tried 192.168.1.1 but it kept timing out

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What brand / model DAP?
Have you tried to tie the DAP to your cell wifi? or your home? You can generally obtain the IP from there as it searches.

{EDIT} Or were you asking about the vehicles' wifi default address?
If the device sees the local hotspot, it should select that channel auto-magically.

Here is the info from the uConnect that I was wondering about earlier:
3) What is the factory default security setting? > WPA2/WPA
4) What if I want to create a custom password for my connection? > Select either WPA2/WPA or the WEP setting and create a passphrase by pressing Apps > Tools > Wi-Fi Hotspot > View/Edit Passphrase.

So by default, if the DAP is WEP (older tech like the PSP), then it will see it but not connect.

Last edited:

guyutethepig

Reaction score
What brand / model DAP?
Have you tried to tie the DAP to your cell wifi? or your home? You can generally obtain the IP from there as it searches.

{EDIT} Or were you asking about the vehicles' wifi default address?
If the device sees the local hotspot, it should select that channel auto-magically.

Here is the info from the uConnect that I was wondering about earlier:
3) What is the factory default security setting? > WPA2/WPA
4) What if I want to create a custom password for my connection? > Select either WPA2/WPA or the WEP setting and create a passphrase by pressing Apps > Tools > Wi-Fi Hotspot > View/Edit Passphrase.

So by default, if the DAP is WEP (older tech like the PSP), then it will see it but not connect.

Yep - it connects to my phone and house wifi just fine.

It is an Onkyo DP X1

The device doesn't even see the truck hotspot - I was asking about the truck's wifi address bc from what I'd read the issue may be some difference in the 5ghz channels in Asia v the US and I need to specify a channel in the truck wifi? Or maybe reading it backwards. I'm clearly no computer tech guy. I know audio - just not this end of things!

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'll do some digging and see if I can't help out.
I found this :
But all Onkyo links are gone (more than likely discontinued)

Wi-Fi 802.11a/b/g/n/ac (Wi-Fi Direct/WPS)

Anyone with an Android who has "Wifi Analyzer" can get the channels. iPhone also has one but Android is better app. It will SEE the Ram's channels for you. I don't have my rig yet (still waiting for order to be placed) or else I'd run out and take a look.

by default :
2.5G Channels are : 1 thru 13
5G channels are : 36, 40, 44, 48, 52, 56, 60, 64, 169, 153, 157, 161, 165

I'm still trying to see if I can locate RAM + AT&T + 5G + Wifi channel for you.

This link compares USA and Asia (Along with other countries)

[EDIT] I did locate this answer :

"
You made me curious, so I took a look at my DPX1A and I noticed it was connected on my 2.4Ghz WiFi and wasn't seeing my 5Ghz WiFi on any scans.

So I set my DPX1A to 5Ghz only (in DPX1A advanced WiFi settings), then logged into my router and changed the 5Ghz channel from 149 to 48 and now my 5Ghz WiFi band shows up on the DPX1A scan. I set the DPX1A WiFi setting back to "Automatic". Both bands show up now."

Tim N

Users who are viewing this thread